Talk

Advanced search

To think this was unfunny and impolite

(40 Posts)
burgundytartan Sun 23-Nov-14 13:19:44

Work is a tunic worn with black trousers and black shoes. Very physical and sometimes messy. Please don't ask what I do!

So I turned up this morning at 6, it's freezing cold so I had a black hoodie (zip up) with tunic and black trainers. Most people wear these sorts of shoes and other women wear hoodies or cardis with the tunics as they're short sleeved.

Colleague - 'Ooh, are you off to the gym?'
Client 1 - 'burgundy looks like she's off to the gym!'
Client 2 - 'ooh I just said to client 1 burgundy looks like she's going to the gym!'

All. Morning.

WIBU to eventually say 'look, it wasn't funny the first ten times. Can you cut it out please?'

She's complained I was really rude to her. AIBU to think actually it's the other way round?

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 23-Nov-14 13:22:03

I dont really get it? Sorry

Catsarebastards Sun 23-Nov-14 13:23:02

I think maybe you were tired and cold and not in the mood for joking and were a bit snippy about something that wasnt rude or impolite.

Only1scoop Sun 23-Nov-14 13:23:18

Yabu

Sounds like a light hearted little joke....

From what I can fathom

burgundytartan Sun 23-Nov-14 13:25:19

Probably some truth in that cats but I just felt like I'd scream if I had to put up with one more joke about me going off to the gym!

I'll apologise tomorrow then smile

HSMMaCM Sun 23-Nov-14 13:28:12

Perhaps it was the hoodie rather than the trainers ?

burgundytartan Sun 23-Nov-14 13:29:47

It doesn't matter what it was though as plenty of people wear hoodies. It just annoyed me and made me feel as if she was trying to say I looked unprofessional or something.

Catsarebastards Sun 23-Nov-14 13:31:54

Ahh it was just a little joke, and you werent in the mood. We all get like that. Apologise for being snappy and forget about it. Have a hot cuppa. That makes everything right again grin

BackforGood Sun 23-Nov-14 13:34:41

I agree with cats - it doesn't sound rude to me either.

Maybe they were trying to tell you that it wasn't appropriate work wear ? If you have a uniform you should wear, then it's fairly normal for employers to expect everyone to be able to see the uniform. Equally, comfy though trainers are, they are not usually considered appropriate footwear for work (obviously depending on what you do).
So your uniform is tunic, black trousers and black shoes, and the only part of that colleagues could see, is black trousers, then they are entitled to comment I guess.

burgundytartan Sun 23-Nov-14 13:37:37

Back, the hoodie wasn't zipped up. And they aren't remarkable trust me, everyone wears trainers/hoodies - well some people don't but it isn't against the rules or anything. But she isn't my supervisor. If she had a problem with how I was dressed she should have raised it with someone above us not keep making snide quips.

nannynoss Sun 23-Nov-14 14:05:23

Who are you annoyed at? Your colleague or the clients?

i used to have this uniform when I worked with the elderly, and ime they do tend to comment on your clothes, especially if it's different to how you normally look (eg if you don't normally wear a hoody). They don't mean anything by it

BarbarianMum Sun 23-Nov-14 14:07:50

YANBU - very few "jokes" are funny after the first dozen repetitions.

WorraLiberty Sun 23-Nov-14 14:11:53

She didn't 'have a problem' with how you were dressed though, so why on earth would she raise it with someone about you?

YABU really, it was just banter that you found boring/unfunny but it wasn't rude.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Sun 23-Nov-14 14:12:15

Saying it to a colleague is one thing, but you should never, ever talk to a client like that. I'm not surprised she complained, and honestly, you should have known better. Professional suicide to snap at a client.

burgundytartan Sun 23-Nov-14 14:41:10

I didn't say it to a client.

My colleague kept saying to clients 'x looks like she's off to the gym doesn't she?' Eventually I told her to cut it out.

I accept I was BU - but the embellishment that clients were commenting on my clothes (they weren't) and that I was biting back at them (I wasn't) is bizarre!

pigsDOfly Sun 23-Nov-14 14:58:28

If everyone dresses like this on a regular basis, I don't really understand why all the comments from your colleague.

Bit rude to comment on a colleagues clothing anyway.

Sounds as if she was trying to make a joke to sort of jolly things along and just didn't know when to let it go. I imagine most busy people trying to get on with their work would have found it annoying and childish by the end of the morning.

Bearbehind Sun 23-Nov-14 15:03:34

but the embellishment that clients were commenting on my clothes (they weren't) and that I was biting back at them (I wasn't) is bizarre!

Eh- in you OP you quoted client 1 and client 2 commenting on your outfit? hmm

Thats not embellishments.

Unless there's much more to this story then I really can't see why you are so bothered about this.

burgundytartan Sun 23-Nov-14 15:16:39

No I didn't - I said that my colleague had said those things and said them TO clients confused

Pigs, me neither!

burgundytartan Sun 23-Nov-14 15:18:51

I can see why you thought that now bear having reread my OP.

Client 1 comes along and colleague starts telling client1 I look like I am going to the gym.

Client 2 comes along and colleague starts telling client2 I look like I am going to the gym.

Repeat until client 10. wink

And, I'm not "so bothered" about this but it did annoy me and make me feel self conscious.

Bearbehind Sun 23-Nov-14 15:21:45

That's not how your OP reads to me.

It reads that you quoted first your colleague, then client 1 then client 2.

Not that it really matters but it does explain why posters have made the comments they have.

Bearbehind Sun 23-Nov-14 15:22:17

X post grin

burgundytartan Sun 23-Nov-14 15:25:10

Well it obviously matters to me as I started the thread.

And you as you post on it!

nannynoss Sun 23-Nov-14 15:25:21

You are getting a little snippy at us for misunderstanding the OP, so you are probably just not in the most tolerant of moods today wink

I can see why it was irritating but possibly not deliberately rude. Just go home and put your feet up after work, you won't care anymore after about 10 minutes, I'm sure. smile

burgundytartan Sun 23-Nov-14 15:26:54

I didn't think I was snippy so i apologise if I was. I just didn't want the story taking on a life of it's own!

Bearbehind Sun 23-Nov-14 15:29:09

Seriously OP, have some cake or wine and chill out!

You are sniping at everyone on here now because you didn't make it clear what had happened then thought everyone was wrong for reading stuff into the story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now