Talk

Advanced search

To think Tess/Claudia/Zoe don't need a man on their arms for their entrance on Strictly?

(21 Posts)
applejack18 Sun 23-Nov-14 07:36:27

It bugs me! Why do these ladies have to come down the stairs linking arms with a random male dancer?
Is it because:
- it's for visual balance?
- they need "help" in case they might trip in their outfits?
- to appease people who wanted a male presenter?
Whatever the reason, I think it's unnecessary (and bloody annoying) and negates the fact that the producers have been applauded for having solely female presenters for a flagship show.
Also, on the Sunday show, they enter from the sides without a man..
Let me know your thoughts. (I'm new, be gentle!)

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Sun 23-Nov-14 07:38:17

In those shoes, long dresses and on live telly, I'd want an arm to lean on going down the stairs. I'm pretty much as independent as they come, I have a bit of a thing about stairs though.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sun 23-Nov-14 07:39:52

What Juan said smile

LynetteScavo Sun 23-Nov-14 07:41:11

Demot OLeary has dancers holding him up when he enters the xfactor stage.

It a show thing.

GingerSkin Sun 23-Nov-14 07:46:30

It would be good if they were supported by other women walking down.

Expedititition Sun 23-Nov-14 07:47:33

Because it's a dance show and men and ladies dance together?

batteryhen Sun 23-Nov-14 07:47:45

I don't expect they 'need' to but certainly if I was coming down a staircase in big heels, a long dress and with millions of people watching me I would want someone to cling on to.

Whippet81 Sun 23-Nov-14 07:49:20

I couldn't get worked up about it to be honest.

I too would want someone to hold on to.

When it was Bruce presenting didn't he used to come in with a lady?

Also I'm sure I've seen Darcy come in linking arms with Len and Bruno and Craig also doing the same?

applejack18 Sun 23-Nov-14 07:51:55

I take all your points and agree with gingerskin - if they need help - it could just as well be a female (celeb/pro/)....
In the old days before he was doddery, when Bruce and Tess came down the stairs they didn't have help. Which is why it bugs me now.
So, why not just sweep in from the sides, as they are?

Tzibeleh Sun 23-Nov-14 07:52:06

Given that both Claudia and Tess have tripped on the stairs in this series, it makes sense for the producers to do something to keep them safe. But what would make more sense IMO would be to have them wear less-than-killer heels, rather than have them cling needily to a big brave brawn.

Mamab33 Sun 23-Nov-14 07:53:06

Bugs me too apple...no need!

minibmw2010 Sun 23-Nov-14 07:53:55

I think you're over thinking things .. I think it's for visual, for show.

minibmw2010 Sun 23-Nov-14 07:55:46

Also they tried the way Brucey & Tess used to try it in the past but Claudia can't dance to save her life (Tess not much better) so this was probably a safer way ...

OohOod Sun 23-Nov-14 08:01:28

I think it's interesting as i saw the man as being decorative like a bloke having an attractive woman on his arm and they are discarded as soon as possible.

applejack18 Sun 23-Nov-14 08:07:16

I see ooh's point about the man being the arm candy.
For me it actually distracts from the ladies, and diminishes their moment to shine at the top of the stairs, and also distracts from me enjoying the impact of the ladies' outfits. Instead I'm looking to see which man they chose that week.

Interesting to see that most views on here don't mind the change.

OohOod Sun 23-Nov-14 08:36:59

I'm the opposite. It's just a bloke in a suit

I agree with Ood, I was seeing the man appear as an accessory to the woman for a change instead of the other way round.

Azquilith Sun 23-Nov-14 08:48:22

I also quite like the fact it's a man as an accessory. I think we get a bit too worked up about this kind of thing..

Nomama Sun 23-Nov-14 08:48:53

That the men weren't some randoms picked from the audience, that they stepped back and applauded the women, that the show is about dancing where at least half of the dances are about a woman following a man's lead, looking decorous...

You say it is a change, it may be a one off, we won't know until next week at least! It's not about not minding 'the change', it's more that, in context, it isn't anything worth getting worked up about.

That and much more makes you really U, no, plain daft.

TheNumberfaker Sun 23-Nov-14 08:52:29

Ooh beat me to it. Anton and whatsisname are just arm candy!

poolomoomon Sun 23-Nov-14 09:11:02

Yes, I agree! I said exactly the same thing. It's brilliant there's a prime time show with two female presenters but why do the 'poor little wee women' need assistance walking downstairs?

Did they come down the stairs when it was Tess and Brucey, I can't quite remember... Just trying to think if Bruce used to have a woman helping him down the stairs <ponders>. Could be a show thing. Maybe they struggle to get downstairs in heels. Don't like it though, I think I'd prefer if another woman helped them down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now