Talk

Advanced search

AIBU for not taking dd and her friend out tomorrow?

(12 Posts)
18yearstooold Sat 22-Nov-14 20:57:09

Dd (10) has been moaning all day that she wants to do something

Me 'what do you want to do dd?'

Dd 'just something'

Me 'well i'm busy today but tomorrow we can go to the park or a museum, go to the cinema or have a movie afternoon at home'

She wants to bring a friend to whichever we do and I've said no

It's my only day off, she sees her friend 5 days a week, it will cost me more which I can't afford

It's her birthday in 2 weeks and i'm hosting a party at home for her and I really just wanted a quiet day tomorrow

Dd clearly thinks i'm being unreasonable but am I?

TywysogesGymraeg Sat 22-Nov-14 21:02:27

Well you're in charge, so she gets to do what you want.
I'm sure she'll enjoy the day once you get out and about.

18yearstooold Sat 22-Nov-14 21:03:36

Don't think we'd get out of the door without her tripping over her bottom lip right now

itiswhatitiswhatitis Sat 22-Nov-14 21:03:45

Day out with just you or friend over for pizza and dvd, those are the only two choices I would give her

Writerwannabe83 Sat 22-Nov-14 21:04:39

Can I ask if she is an only child?

CuriousOranj Sat 22-Nov-14 21:04:44

Of course you're not being unreasonable. Would it help if you pointed out to her that it's your only day off and you want to give her your undivided attention, rather than share her with her friend?

Well - you could involve her friend in movie afternoon without much extra cost, but apart from that, YANBU.

Mrsgrumble Sat 22-Nov-14 21:10:36

I would just leave her be for tomorrow. If you back down now the strops will only be worse. Maybe that is harsh but if she is having a party in two weeks, it's no harm to have an odd quiet weekend.

18yearstooold Sat 22-Nov-14 21:11:02

She's number 2 but dd1 is out on Sunday afternoons so its pretty much the only time I get with her and then it's only alternate weeks because she's at her dads

I could get friend over for a movie cheaply enough -but I don't want to sad

Writerwannabe83 Sat 22-Nov-14 21:14:20

Definitely NBU then. If you only have one-to-one time with her on alternate weekends then I see why you wouldn't want to share her smile

Tell her she can have a friend over in the week but for now enjoy some mother and daughter time.

TywysogesGymraeg Sat 22-Nov-14 21:15:09

Well tell her its your way, or nothing. Up to her if she chooses nothing.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Sat 22-Nov-14 22:08:35

Well it's fine to say no to having a friend over. I generally have a no friends in the house on a Sunday rule tbh as I prefer some peace and quiet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now