Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be so fed up that I'm bleeding yet again?

(48 Posts)
greygeese Sat 22-Nov-14 18:58:11

Honestly I could cry.

I started a previous thread about my awful GP and the hassles I've been having with them. Basically I've been on the depo injection for 6 months, and bleeding fir 4 of those.

If it was a few spots several times during the day, that would be ok. But this is more, at worst like a full on period (my periods pre depo have been increasingly heavy for the last 5-10 years).

I was given Norethisterone a few weeks ago. Had a week with no bleeding at all. It was brilliant. Albeit that was followed by the period from hell (clots nearly the size of my palm etc) but then another 5 days of no bleeding, til it started again today.

I hate it, and I know it's spoiling my relationship. He's generally very good about it, but having a girlfriend you can't touch for fear of her bleeding everywhere (sorry, probably tmi...).

I just want it to stop. I am praying for the menopause but I'm only early 40s so i think i may be waiting a while. I don't know what to do. GP advice has been so contradictory.

greygeese Sat 22-Nov-14 19:59:08

Anyone?

DidoTheDodo Sat 22-Nov-14 20:02:26

You could be in perimenopause. Mine started at 41 and period wise was over at 46, but my final period lasted 5 months. Respite only gained with norethisterone, so I'm with you there. I was investigated for fibroids our other nastes, but there was nothing.
I do feel for you. Its horrible.

redexpat Sat 22-Nov-14 20:04:16

Were you the poster whose sexual health clinic would only see under 25s? And the GP told you that the patch falls off and has a high failure rate? If so I really really dont know what more to suggest, other than a total break from hormonal contraception.

MillieMoodle Sat 22-Nov-14 20:07:02

YANBU, it must awful. I've been on cerazette for 6 months and bled pretty much constantly for the first 4 months, although not heavily. Still get bleeding/spotting and awful backache a lot. I'm not sure what to suggest. Have they done any investigations? Could it be fibroids? I only ask because a close friend has had fibroids and they caused her horrendous bleeding. No kind of hormone based contraception made any difference, she bled all the time and to be honest I don't know how she kept going. Might be worth asking them to investigate?

DidoTheDodo Sat 22-Nov-14 20:09:38

How often are you allowed to take norethisterone? At least that would give you a break, and maybe help your relationship.

greygeese Sat 22-Nov-14 20:13:39

I just really need this bleeding to stop, it's ruining my life. I can't bear another 5 years of basically constant periods, which is what I've had since just before my 2nd injection.

Yes, I'm that poster. I only started on the hormonal contraception 6 months ago. I keep being told it takes 9 months to 'sort itself out', so I don't know what to do. I suspect if I stop, the bleeding will carry on. Then I'll be told to try the pill or whatever and the whole thing starts again.

Frankly given how disgusting I feel at the moment I wish I could have a hysterectomy and whip it all out so I never bleed again sad

Pusspuss1 Sat 22-Nov-14 20:19:47

If you're done having children, I think you can have something called an endometrial ablation, which basically aims to reduce or stop any bleeding.

Mirena (IUD with hormones in) reduces periods too - any good?

LordEmsworth Sat 22-Nov-14 20:21:33

I know how you feel... I had the implant for 18 months, with a 7ish day bleed every 6 months or so. Great...

...but then it wasn't. I was having 2 weeks really heavy bleeding, 2 weeks off then in again. Eventually saw the GP as I was due a loop excision and started bleeding 3 days before - she gave me 10 days of norethisterone (?) and told me it would give me a break. I could have cried at her kindness, I hadn't realised how stressful it was. She said that the implant was causing the lining of my womb to break down and suggested switching to the Mirena. As soon as I could (when I got the all clear after the loop) I did, that was just over a year ago and I still get a light bleed every couple of months but very manageable... That was how I solved it

greygeese Sat 22-Nov-14 20:21:49

No investigations have been suggested.

I've had a couple of spells of prolonged bleeding previously, once 6 years ago (after a course of Norethisterone my cycle returned to normal) and again about 2 or 3 years ago where I bled for about 3 months, then just as I'd got a GP appt, it stopped.

I was so expecting the Norethisterone to work. Am in tears at thought of telling my bf, it's been so great while I wasn't bleeding.

My GP surgery is impossible to get appts for outside 9-5, plus they just keep telling me different things. I don't have any faith in them sorting this out, I'm made to feel like I'm making a fuss because bleeding (even if much of the time it's like a constant period) is to be expected, apparently.

TongueBiter Sat 22-Nov-14 20:25:54

I've always found the period following a course of Nore-thingummy to be awful.

I would second trying the mirena, although I bled for a while after insertion of that, but now hardly have any period at all.

Is there any sexual health clinics near you that might be more use than your GP practice? Or maybe speak to the practice manager?

greygeese Sat 22-Nov-14 20:28:46

I'd try the Mirena. But when I saw the nurse for my injection last week, she said bleeding is common with that too.

Plus part of the reason I started my last thread was that I was told by GP who gave me the Norethisterone that I should have the coil, and once I'd stopped bleeding to come back for swabs. But the surgery couldn't give me an appt in time. Now I'm bleeding again who knows when it will stop so I could have the swabs? Plus other GP said I cant have the coil if I've had the injection, so not even sure they'd allow it.

RandomMess Sat 22-Nov-14 20:29:39

I would be insisting for a referral to be checked out for anything wrong. What are your periods like off hormones? Nothing controlled my periods - I always spotted etc. so in the end after the mirena didn't work out I had womb ablation - was fab. Spot for about a week a month max and had it 4 years ago.

I think you need to see someone else and get a referral!

RandomMess Sat 22-Nov-14 20:31:47

Go to the family planning clinic instead?

greygeese Sat 22-Nov-14 20:32:02

All clinics are for under 25s only round here. Apparently once you're 26+ you don't need contraception!

I am trying to change GP as current one is so bad. I have made a complaint, but couldn't send it to the Practice manager as they don't have one.

LadySybilLikesCake Sat 22-Nov-14 20:33:01

I'd be going back and demanding a referral to a gynae!

You need an ultrasound to check for fibroids, a full blood count and a hormone check. Ask him to put you on Cerazette, that should help.

You don't have to put up with this.

NorksWar Sat 22-Nov-14 20:34:26

I have seen various GPs over the years for heavy periods who always recommend contraception.

Any hormonal contraception causes huge side effects with me (in my opinion the Mirena coil is the work of the devil and caused severe depression).

The only thing that works for me is Tranexamic Acid tablets to reduce blood loss, and condoms for contraception.

greygeese Sat 22-Nov-14 20:36:19

Before the last 6 months my periods were regularish. Increasingly heavy (I'll admit this bleeding is lighter, more like a normal period for me of 10 ir more years ago) as I've got older, sometimes lasting 10-14 days, others 5-7 BUT aside from the 2 instances I mentioned there's always been a break between bleeding of at least a couple of weeks a month.

MillieMoodle Sat 22-Nov-14 20:38:12

You need to insist on being referred for further investigation. It's affecting your relationship and you shouldn't have to live like this. You shouldn't have to put up with constant bleeding. Can you ask to see a different doctor or even change surgeries if they aren't supportive?

Screenclean Sat 22-Nov-14 20:41:44

Oh I really sympathise. I had a horrible time with cerrazzette and mirena. Now we're just using condoms. I though it'd be awful but it really isn't.

I'm going to try the persona (with condoms to begin with) as I am done with hormonal contraception.

woodwaj Sat 22-Nov-14 20:42:24

Just to add to your confusion i was given norethisterone to bring on periods for fertility issues. I know its more commonly used to stop them though!

LadySybilLikesCake Sat 22-Nov-14 20:42:52

I used to have 24 day periods. My GP stuck me on cerazette and they calmed down after a few months, I now get 3 1 hour bleeds once every three months. It's wonderful.

LadySybilLikesCake Sat 22-Nov-14 20:43:06

3 times 1 I mean.

fairgame Sat 22-Nov-14 20:47:14

I've just had months of frequent bleeding on the pill. My GP has been really good, she has done swabs, bloods and referred me for a scan. She has swapped me onto a different pill which has pretty much cured me but still wants me to have a scan just to be on the safe side. I haven't had hormone tests because i had 3 bleeds within 6 weeks and wasn't sure if they were proper periods or not and plus i'm on a new pill so she has left it for now.

You need to start being pushy or swap to another GP. Contraception is supposed to make your life easier not harder!

greygeese Sat 22-Nov-14 22:53:23

I'll try and get another appt and ask for a referral but I suspect with the current surgery I won't get very far.

The last 4 months have been awful, and I've only been with my bf 7 months, so it's not great from that respect.

I've been given so much conflicting advice by the different GPs. Plus I don't think - even though I've been quite clear about it - they understand this is a lot more than just spotting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now