Talk

Advanced search

NYE wedding?

(36 Posts)
Kab13 Sat 22-Nov-14 14:55:22

Anyone been to one? Is it a good idea or too near Xmas etc?

Summerisle1 Sat 22-Nov-14 14:58:09

I haven't been to one but would be quite happy to attend a wedding on NYE. I have friends who married on Christmas Eve and that was a tad inconvenient since most of the guests had to travel and there was lots of rushing around. But NYE never strikes me as a very significant day.

ClashCityRocker Sat 22-Nov-14 14:59:22

Friends of ours had one, it was lovely, everyone was in the mood for a party. if you don't mind your day being slightly over shadowed and possibly not getting to do things you like on your anniversary without paying exorbitant prices, I think it works well.

You do need to give geusts plenty of notice though - people often make plans for New Years quite early.

Yackity Sat 22-Nov-14 15:00:27

Went to one, all the family travelled over to it (in Canada). It was loads of fun. It then turned into a New Year's Even party and went on into the early hours of the morning.

But I think you have to have close family and friends for it. Also, it would be difficult for those without family. If you want it early in the day, people might get annoyed that they'll be too tired to enjoy New Year's Eve, if it's later then their DC would be too tired to come. Babysitters are impossible to get, so for many leaving the DC at home would be impossible.

So think carefully.

ShadowKat Sat 22-Nov-14 15:02:36

Haven't been to one.

I think the main potential problem would be people being less available because they've planned to travel and visit family over the Christmas period, and NYE (just) falls in that time.

LizardBreath Sat 22-Nov-14 15:03:12

Went to one last year, was great! Looked into having one ourselves but venues / prices were a bit above our budget, plus lots of places booked up years in advance for nye. The one I went to were able to put marquee in garden and hire waiters / catering etc- was brilliant!

Purplepixiedust Sat 22-Nov-14 15:07:24

Haven't been to one but would have no issues.

Kab13 Sat 22-Nov-14 15:08:00

Good point about children, didn't think of that one. Although I think most people would bring their children with them could be a problem for little ones.
Hmmm.
And agree Xmas eve is too much, sounds stressful!

Yackity Sat 22-Nov-14 15:19:25

If you had it somewhere that had another room where children could watch tv, lounge around, quiet corner to fall asleep in and then hired a couple of babysitters, it would be very doable.

I suspect you would be hard pressed to find a suitable location like that though.

Skinidin Sat 22-Nov-14 15:53:15

I got married on NYE, but we wanted it to be as quiet as possible.

And it was in the registrar's house, very rural Scotland.

Suited us smile

Sn00p4d Sat 22-Nov-14 15:53:31

My dad married nye 1999/2000 it was great. Took a fair bit of organising though on their part putting on buses home for everyone as taxis are triple time and he wanted people to attend so covered most of the costs. Great night though, they got married at midnight so it was really quite special x

Sabrinnnnnnnna Sat 22-Nov-14 16:12:58

Haven't been to one - but I think it's a lovely idea smile

fluffymouse Sat 22-Nov-14 16:27:46

If you are planning on a child free wedding it would be very difficult for lots of guests to attend, so just bear that in mind. Otherwise, why not.

LadyStark Sat 22-Nov-14 16:31:44

Don't mean this to sound negative but if you were ever to divorce, it could ruin NYE forever!

KatieKaye Sat 22-Nov-14 16:31:45

I think it sounds wonderful!
A great choice of day - everyone will remember it, they will be over all the hassle of Christmas and what better night to have a fabulous party?

MaryWestmacott Sat 22-Nov-14 16:36:24

Assuming you're talking next year, then I think you could make it work, but it might be pricy! Re the DCs issue, you could do a 'whole house' or 'whole hotel' type venue, people will be able to put their DCs to bed upstairs, perhaps have some in together with babysitters able to come and get you.

The one I went to a few years ago was before any of us had DCs and it was just like a big house party as they did book out a whole stately home.

Get your 'hold the dates' out before Easter (when a lot of people make plans about who's house they will go to for Christmas if there's travel involved).

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Sat 22-Nov-14 16:37:50

Think it would be amazing for the bride and groom to spend the new year with family and friends.

As long as there was a count down to the new year 10 seconds to midnight

Kab13 Sat 22-Nov-14 16:46:24

Ladystark/ celebrate getting away from the asshole every NYE? ;)

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 22-Nov-14 16:50:10

What about 28/29/30 Dec instead? Can still have a Christmassy wedding without the logistical problems (and presumably venues will hike their prices up on NYE too)?

Only1scoop Sat 22-Nov-14 16:52:17

Yes I did it was very lovely and very tartan blush

HappyAgainOneDay Sat 22-Nov-14 17:26:21

Sn00p4d He must have had a special licence then because our wedding was at 5.00pm and we were told that it was the last legal time for a marriage to take place.

Laquitar Sat 22-Nov-14 17:58:47

Are you planning to invite family or friends from abroad or from other parts of uk? It will be tricky and pricy for them.
Your venue and catering will
probably be pricy too.

Friends might be away visiting family.
People will be broke after christmas so no cash giftsgrin.

It depends i think on the 'style' of the wedding. I wouldnt do a big formal wedding on that date. A more casual fun wedding would work well.

Horsemad Sat 22-Nov-14 18:03:25

My friend married on NYE and it was lovely but her DH died a few years later and so NYE was just a really sad date from then on. sad

PotteringAlong Sat 22-Nov-14 18:06:27

Don't do 28/29/30 - we have family who live at opposite ends of the country and have attended 2 weddings on those dates. Both of them were a complete pain in the arse for organising Christmas arrangements.

MagratGarlik Sat 22-Nov-14 18:09:41

Friends of ours married on NYE. The wedding was abroad and we would have needed to travel, which was just too expensive at new year. It was a pity that we had to miss it because of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now