Talk

Advanced search

To ask how long you would leave your 11/12 year old home alone?

(53 Posts)
Sorryconnectioncannotbefound Sat 22-Nov-14 14:05:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fredfredgeorgejnr Sat 22-Nov-14 14:10:28

All over Christmas period, and then maybe I'll let them go to new York on their own next year...

rusticwomble Sat 22-Nov-14 14:10:55

Difficult to answer properly as it depends on circumstances and level of maturity of the child. Can you be a bit more specific?

Meechimoo Sat 22-Nov-14 14:12:14

I have an almost 12 year old. I'd probably leave her home alone all day, as long as I'd be home to make dinner. She's very sensible.

ghostyslovesheep Sat 22-Nov-14 14:21:37

day/night?

sensible child?

Having to do own tea etc?

you need to give us a bit more information OP

- I leave my 10 and 12 year old together or alone for 30 mins to an hour during the day - wouldn't leave them at night - would leave the 12 year old alone for maybe an afternoon 2/3 hours etc as she very sensible

wheresthelight Sat 22-Nov-14 14:24:06

depends on the kid.

at 11 I was left alone for upwards of 8 hours a day but I was insanely sensible and far too grown up for my own good. dss is 11 and I wouldn't leave him for more than a couple of hours and certainly not over a meal time because he would either burn my house down or eat everything he could find including the dog food grin

Bowlersarm Sat 22-Nov-14 14:26:57

At 11 not more than an hour or two. Increasing the time from 12. But it does depend on the child in question.

cece Sat 22-Nov-14 14:31:38

My DD used to walk home from school (Year 7) and be home alone till about 6pm. She would also make herself dinner (chicken nuggets and chips). This used to happen one day a week.

However, I am not entirely convinced DS1 would have been sensible enough to do this. He is currently 11 and in Year 6. I leave him for up to 40 mins at the moment. He is not allowed to cook! When he goes up to Year 7 he will not have childcare so will walk home from school and be at home with DD till about 6pm. He will still not be allowed to cook though.

cece Sat 22-Nov-14 14:33:00

I should add that DD is now Year 9 and aged 13. I happily leave her at home if I am working for the day. However, she usually goes out to meet her friends for part of that day.

jazzsyncopation Sat 22-Nov-14 18:43:29

this would be illegal in parts of uk

ilovepowerhoop Sat 22-Nov-14 18:46:22

its not illegal in any part of the UK - there is no legal age to be left alone at home and should be judged on the child and their maturity.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 22-Nov-14 18:47:43

p.s. I have left 11 year dd for an hour or so during the day.

CPtart Sat 22-Nov-14 18:56:21

DS1 (11) walks home on his own 25 mins from school, let's himself in and is on his own for about two hours once a week. We also live quite isolated down a country lane with one neighbour who is out all day. No other option.

LaChatte Sat 22-Nov-14 19:03:37

We've just started leaving 12yo DS on his own when we have to work and he doesn't have school, but one of us pops home for lunch, so maximum four hours alone with no need to use the hob .

Meechimoo Sat 22-Nov-14 19:03:44

am quite shocked at the number of posters who wouldn't leave an 11 year old for more than an hour. I was in charge of two younger siblings all evening when I was 11 and my Mum was doing an evening job. I don't think the world is any scarier or more dangerous, either. It just gets reported more with instant media.

merlehaggard Sat 22-Nov-14 19:05:01

I would leave my 12 year old DD alone for a few hours. Have occasionally left her all day till 4pm when at work in the school holidays - but only 2 or 3 times. She wouldn't want to go to a holiday club and v happy watching tv and having house to herself. I wouldn't go out in the evening and leave her though. The occasion would never arise though, as I also have a 4 year old.

HicDraconis Sat 22-Nov-14 19:05:22

Not for any length of time, it being illegal where I live (not UK).

General advice on the government website is children under 14 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for long periods of time, never regularly and not overnight. It's illegal to leave children under 14 without having made appropriate provision for their care/supervision here. Children under 14 can't babysit younger children either.

I don't want my children to be "so sensible" or "grown up and responsible" before they have to be. I want them to be children while they can be - they get decades of being responsible. While they're children, I'll be responsible for them.

Hairtodaygonetomorrow Sat 22-Nov-14 19:07:19

I leave my nearly 11 year old for up to two hours while I take her sister to a club one evening a week, I know she won't move from the computer! My younger one never gets left home alone (aged 9), not reliable enough.

Mehitabel6 Sat 22-Nov-14 19:07:34

It depends on the child- you would hope they were sensible enough for more than an hour.

Mehitabel6 Sat 22-Nov-14 19:08:39

You are still responsible for them when they are home alone Hic.

WhereHas1999DissappearedToo Sat 22-Nov-14 19:08:54

Dd started getting left home alone at 9 for an hour until I finished work, at 11/12 she was being left home alone all day during the holidays but she wasn't was allowed to cook and wouldn't be home alone during the night.

ScrambledEggAndToast Sat 22-Nov-14 19:16:36

DS is 11 and he is left for up to 2 hours as he gets home from school at about 3.30-3.45 and I get back from work around 2 hours later. My mum lives 5 mins away so if he gets lonely he can go there. This arrangement only started in September when he started secondary school, before then he went to his grandma's every night.

JeffreyGartnerEatsWell Wed 26-Nov-14 23:57:38

Not long because she'd fight with younger child. So an hour at the most.

Christina22xx Wed 26-Nov-14 23:59:24

really theres no legal age on how long a child can be left alone?

MillionToOneChances Thu 27-Nov-14 00:09:21

I leave my 12 year old for an hour or two. I'd trust her for longer but she'd generally rather come with me if I'm going out for longer. My nearly-10-year-old I'll leave for about 20 minutes and only if he's in a sensible mood!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now