Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think leaders should lead by example?

(8 Posts)
FeckingHypocrites Sat 22-Nov-14 10:17:40

So, just had another disturbed night's sleep tossing and turning about all the problems in our company and (yet) another week from hell I've had but at 3am I had a major revelation in realising that the real underlying issue to most of the problems is that managers do not manage, they just bury their heads in the sand, and most annoying of all they are mostly cover-their-arses hypocrites, who preach one thing and do something entirely different. I am so sick of their lack of professional courtesy, the fact that they are late for everything, the fact that most of the time we don't actually know where they are, and have to make up all sorts of fibs when clients ring. And they have the barefaced cheek to haul the rest of us up on the most trivial things, when they themselves do the same things (and worse), have no credibility and are just a laughing stock.

Time for a new job I realise that. By the way, I was a manager for many years before I had kids and then downshifted and I wasn't perfect by any means. I just don't think being a good manager is that difficult, is it? What's hard about turning up on time? What's difficult about saying 'how are you?' to your staff, or 'did you have a good holiday?' or 'I'll be late today as I have an appointment?'

Apart from finding a new job, what can I do? Have tried tactfully mentioning stuff at reviews but nothing ever changes.

bodhranbae Sat 22-Nov-14 10:22:48

There are good managers and there are bad managers.
Same as anything in life.

Sounds like your job is really pissing you off.
Move on to somewhere nicer to work OP - you won't make any inroads in changing the way they operate at this company and it will just drive you round the bend if you waste time and energy on it.

HurlyBurghley Sat 22-Nov-14 10:24:44

Sounds pretty normal to me!

insancerre Sat 22-Nov-14 10:26:49

Management is not the same as leadership

HurlyBurghley Sat 22-Nov-14 10:28:35

Doesn't sound like there is either, Insancerre.

FeckingHypocrites Sat 22-Nov-14 15:14:04

Oh the power of writing it all down! I've just applied for another job. Slim chance looking at the job spec, but I feel better already, for now at least!

insancerre Sun 23-Nov-14 08:08:13

Good luck!

Andrewofgg Sun 23-Nov-14 08:43:48

Having recently seen my useless former manager retire and be replaced by one who is infinitely better, I can only say that nobody stays in the same job for ever. Hang in there. If you don't get the better job things will improve in time in the one you've got. Meanwhile wine or brew or both depending on taste. And in any event flowers and good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now