Talk

Advanced search

to think old el paso guacamole is a crime against humanity

(26 Posts)
sazhamer Fri 21-Nov-14 20:48:24

Dp brought it, so do t want to complain too much but it is horrific. Its main ingredients are water and vegetable oil, it has added avocado flavourings!

It has a shelf life until 2018. Its depressing they even call it guacamole as its more like a Mayo. Its original namesake is a healthy product.

Still dp did better than useless ex dh who would of probably come back with a hat.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 21-Nov-14 20:52:49

It is vile. I was served it at a friends house recently and couldn't even eat it to be polite. It has never seen an avocado.

carlsonrichards Fri 21-Nov-14 20:57:30

Oh, boak!

dorasee Fri 21-Nov-14 21:01:21

It's gross! So is the salsa! Go fresh and make your own!

fairgame Fri 21-Nov-14 21:03:05

YANBU. I bought the gaucamole and the sour cream on a 2 for £3 deal. Rank. Both of them went in the bin.

EatDessertFirst Fri 21-Nov-14 21:50:32

Any guacamole is evil.

SugarMiceInTheRain Fri 21-Nov-14 21:54:15

It is truly grim. Mind you lots of shop bought guacamole is. Most of them seem to contain pea puree to make them green. I make my own or go without now. It's so easy and fresh guacamole is divine.

QoFE Fri 21-Nov-14 21:56:44

Is that the stuff with something like 0.7% avocado powder in it?

DP bought some in Lidl once.

I very nearly LTB.

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 21-Nov-14 21:59:38

It's grim green mush sad

catsmother Fri 21-Nov-14 22:17:07

Agree that most shop bought guacamole is revolting - they're all the wrong colour for a start and mushy - but that particular variety looks especially disgusting. Just imagine how many chemicals must be in it to have such a long use by date.

Making your own is so quick and easy and you can flavour it to taste by adjusting quantity of chillies, coriander etc., and make it as chunky or as smooth as you like. Fresh guacamole tastes divine, there's nothing like it.

ChickenMe Fri 21-Nov-14 22:20:04

Oh yes it is so wrong. I love guac. This is not guac. I'm not even sure it is food.
Have you seen some of the longlife Doritos dips? The cheese one. Vomit.

CaptainAnkles Fri 21-Nov-14 22:21:51

I don't mind the salsa, nowhere near as nice as fresh, but it is edible. The guacamole is utter shite though.

Tykeisagirl Fri 21-Nov-14 22:22:20

Home made guacamole is lovely, unless your, according to the packaging, "ripe and ready eat avocados" are nothing of the sort. Then what should be smooth and creamy tasting is lumpy and bitter. Probably still better than ready made crap from a squeezy bottle though.

DramaAlpaca Fri 21-Nov-14 22:23:32

Agree, it's disgusting.

Home made is the only way to go.

motherofmonster Fri 21-Nov-14 22:25:32

I'm glad mine ended up in the bin. Was just about to eat mine and ds walked in and said 'it looks like the hulk poo'd on your crisp grin

shouldnthavesaid Fri 21-Nov-14 22:33:25

Oh gyads. I can't even imagine what that would taste like - guacamole taste best if made with fresh diced tomato, avocado, chopped chilli and a tiny bit of lime zest. No need for water or oil, yuck!

Tobyjugg Fri 21-Nov-14 22:42:28

I can't abide good guacamole (hate avocado) bad guacamole is something I don't want to contemplate.

OraProNobis Fri 21-Nov-14 22:45:34

This has served to remind that avocados are indeed the most boaksome of things. <<<vomits lavishly>>>

sazhamer Sat 22-Nov-14 07:31:55

Haha ltb, it does make me wonder about my new dp. He likes the oil and motified maize starch stuff...

Expedititition Sat 22-Nov-14 07:36:09

YANBU

The stuff is actually unbelievably bad. We had to get the bottle to check it was in date. Neither of us could eat it which is saying something in itself!

This was about 2 years ago and it is still etched in my memory. <shudders>

flanjabelle Sat 22-Nov-14 07:37:56

It is green slime. My God is it awful.

nippiesweetie Sat 22-Nov-14 07:50:20

Recently I have been able to buy a pack two (smallish) avocados from Lidl that really are ripe and ready to eat. I have been having them with crayfish tails, also from Lidl, but I must make some guacamole next time.

GaryShitpeas Sat 22-Nov-14 08:00:03

Ewwww

Fresh Guacamole is so easy to make. V ripe avocado, mash with salt pepper lime juice and a bit of chilli sauce. Yum

Jammygal Sat 22-Nov-14 08:19:54

I wonder how many people buy once and chuck ,,, can't believe there would be many repeat offenders:/

Mandatorymongoose Sat 22-Nov-14 13:06:44

A mistake I will never make again.

It was awful. It ended up in the bin here too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now