Talk

Advanced search

To expect this woman to help me?

(126 Posts)
jessieisfeelingblue Fri 21-Nov-14 20:16:04

Today I was shopping in a large department store. I was trying to find a t-shirt for DD in a particular style but I was having trouble finding the one that I wanted. So when I saw a woman heading in my direction who was dressed in this stores uniform I thought I'd ask her. This woman was actually wearing a cap and an apron but I knew she worked there as like I said she had the rest of the uniform on so I assumed she would be able to help me.

But when I asked her (nicely) if she could help me find the thing I wanted and I explain (again nicely) what I was looking for, she told me that she worked in the cafe and not the shop floor and I would be better off asking one of the shop floor staff. I was quite confused by this as she obviously worked there so why wouldn't she know where things were?

I again asked her nicely and told her that even if she did work in the cafe (which I had already figured out before I spoke to her by the apron and cap) she should still be able to help me and know where things are but again she told me she didn't work on the shop floor therefore didn't know it.

AIBU to expect her to help me? She still works there.

ThatDamnedBitch Fri 21-Nov-14 20:17:41

Surely you're joking?

saoirse31 Fri 21-Nov-14 20:17:55

Really? you have to ask. yabu.

hufflebottom Fri 21-Nov-14 20:18:41

Yes i would expect that. But I work in a store that you kinda need to know where things are regardless of what section. If you don't know you go and get someone.

But on the other hand you don't know how long they had been working there, so may not have a clue. I still would have expected them to see if they could find someone to help.

strawberryblondebint Fri 21-Nov-14 20:18:57

Yes you are. If she works in the cafe how is she supposed to know where things are on the shop floor. You wouldn't ask the lady on the perfume counter to check stock in menswear. Customers like you are a complete pain to be honest

Yackity Fri 21-Nov-14 20:19:06

Hmm, too nicely worded, a reverse? And the customer got stroppy?

Cabrinha Fri 21-Nov-14 20:19:10

Better customer service would have been for her to find a colleague for you.
But come on - she works in the café. She can't magic store plan knowledge out of her arse!
I can't believe you told her she ought to know!!! Rude, I think.
Fine for you to mail the store and suggest all staff get paid shop floor walk around time to learn where everything is.
But YABU to argue the toss with the poor woman! She didn't know.

AttackOfTheKillerHamsters Fri 21-Nov-14 20:19:15

She didn't work on the shop floor, she works in the cafe. Why would she be able to help you? YABU.

Regressionconfession Fri 21-Nov-14 20:19:30

Reverse?

BitchPeas Fri 21-Nov-14 20:19:48

Sweet baby Jesus, are you really that dense OP.

Buttonsofthechockind Fri 21-Nov-14 20:20:04

We have lots of different departments at my workplace and if someone were to ask me about a different department I wouldn't know either! And would direct the customer to the correct area.

YABU

Perfectlypurple Fri 21-Nov-14 20:20:14

Someone who works in the cafe all the time won't know about where things are in the main shop

Yabu.

MrsPiggie Fri 21-Nov-14 20:20:16

You aren't for real now, are you?

TidyDancer Fri 21-Nov-14 20:20:34

Er yes, YABU. That wasn't her job, and you telling she should be able to help you....well I imagine that probably came off quite rude.

pauline6703 Fri 21-Nov-14 20:20:56

It is not reasonable to expect someone who works in the cafe to know where all stock is on the shop floor. You ABU to expect her to know where stuff is.

CookieLady Fri 21-Nov-14 20:21:06

God, let this be a reverse.

feebeecat Fri 21-Nov-14 20:21:43

Yabu. Would you ask for a cup of tea at the till on shop floor?
She didn't know, didn't work there & pointed you in right direction.

jessieisfeelingblue Fri 21-Nov-14 20:21:45

I don't think I was rude. I tried being nice and polite throughout. She did find someone else to help me in the end btw and I did get what I came in for. So it all worked out I suppose.

Concordial Fri 21-Nov-14 20:22:01

Yabu.
As she said, she worked in the cafe not the shop floor. Self explanatory really ( to most people).

sleepingdragon Fri 21-Nov-14 20:22:04

Seriously? You say yourself it is a large store, it would take hours every week to learn where new stock was. Would you expect her to do this in her free time, or for the shop to reduce the number of staff available to serve people while they are learning where stock goes in other departments during working hours??

MrMacadoo Fri 21-Nov-14 20:22:10

yabu - can you honestly expect someone who works in the cafe of a large department store to know where every single item of stock in that shop could be found? All I would have expected her to do was to take you to someone else who worked on that dept. Tbh if it was obvious she worked in the cafe i wouldn't have even approached her to

Oldraver Fri 21-Nov-14 20:22:20

I was quite confused by this as she obviously worked there so why wouldn't she know where things were

Because she worked in the cafe ? Is that really so hard to figure out ?

SavoyCabbage Fri 21-Nov-14 20:22:23

She was right though that you would have been better off asking a member of staff who works on the shop floor. Surely with ever changing stock it would be difficult to ensure that every member of staff knows where every item is.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Fri 21-Nov-14 20:22:56

Reverse or just plain goady!

LadyLuck10 Fri 21-Nov-14 20:23:09

It was a brief insignificant moment and you're still dwelling on it. Surely something better to do op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now