Talk

Advanced search

To include some furnishings in offer on house?

(10 Posts)
Peppasavedmylife Fri 21-Nov-14 14:52:59

Offering on a house and I love the decor. A lot of the curtains appear made to measure...and I like them and am lazy, so I would like to have them if possible. Would it be ok to ask for them when offering on the house, i.e. Specify that we want them in the bid? I would actually like to ask for everything, but that might be taking it too far grin

moxon Fri 21-Nov-14 15:05:36

We bought loads of stuff that just looked 'right' in the house and which we liked. Mind, we didn't really have much anyway as we came out of millennia of renting, so it saved us a lot of hassle. We mentioned to the seller that we'd be interested in purchasing some furniture, curtains, white goods etc and asked them if they're amenable if they'd come back to us with prices. We cross-checked what the items would be second hand or new, to make sure we weren't being ripped off, and bought about 80% of what they offered us. It was a great deal, and neither the seller nor agent frowned on us asking, so I'd recommend it.

ShakeYourTailFeathers Fri 21-Nov-14 15:08:58

Yes, you can certainly ask - our buyers asked for two large mirrors when they made the offer.

I wasn't going to keep them anyway so was more than happy to say yes!

Notmeagain1 Fri 21-Nov-14 15:14:36

Absolutely ask for what you want. I asked for the curtains, all appliances and some outdoor things in my original offer and everything was accepted, no question.

Just be ready for a "no" , especially if something is sentimental.

Good luck!

DayLillie Fri 21-Nov-14 15:17:38

It used to be the thing to make an offer for the house, then a separate offer for carpets, curtains, etc. I think it was to keep the stamp duty down, otherwise you are paying stamp duty on curtains, IYSWIM.

moxon Fri 21-Nov-14 15:37:50

Yes, what daylillie said. We paid separately for the stuff, rather than put it into the mortgage paperwork etc.

Treeceratops Fri 21-Nov-14 15:47:35

Lots of people do it. Make sure you tell your solicitor so that they can add a list of the items and prices to the contract.

Chippednailvarnish Fri 21-Nov-14 15:53:23

I accepted an asking price offer for my old flat - for everything. Including our bed confused

Littlef00t Fri 21-Nov-14 16:05:33

There's usually a separate form completed.

PurpleCrazyHorse Fri 21-Nov-14 17:26:56

In England & Wales certainly, they will fill in a separate fixtures and fittings form saying what they're leaving and what they're prepared to sell. Certainly ask when you put the offer in though. We did our deal separately for furniture and just paid the sellers directly via cheque.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now