Talk

Advanced search

to let you know about the banner ads on the mobile site?

(21 Posts)
ophiotaurus Fri 21-Nov-14 13:42:44

If you are on the mobile site you can probably see there are ads at the top of your screen in a banner.

We were told on a thread in site stuff that it was a mistake. Now it seems they are trying out different ways of displaying ads and it might be staying like this...

They previously had ads running through the thread. I personally found this far less distracting.

Please can you say which way you prefer?

ophiotaurus Fri 21-Nov-14 13:44:13

By the way I completely accept there have to be ads etc. but don't like this particular positioning at all.

ophiotaurus Fri 21-Nov-14 13:44:58

Thread in site stuff:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2237942-Adverts-in-mobile-site?msgid=50855075#50855075

pottypeppa77 Fri 21-Nov-14 13:46:00

I can no longer bear to use the mobile site because I can't bear all the adverts. I now use the desktop site on my phone.

HeartHasShattered Fri 21-Nov-14 13:47:35

I find the banner ad at the top less annoying. I can just ignore it and I'm less likely to click them accidentally.

They are pretty small on my mobile though, and they are only at the top of the screen (they don't scroll down with me, if you see what I mean). If either of those changed I might revise my opinion!

HeartHasShattered Fri 21-Nov-14 13:53:42

To make sure I'm talking about the same thing... We mean the Venus ad that is showing at the top? (Although I can only see half of it)

ophiotaurus Fri 21-Nov-14 13:58:51

Yes that's the one. It scrolls down the whole screen for me as I go down a thread. So it's always floating at the top for me.
Does yours disappear when you scroll down?

HeartHasShattered Fri 21-Nov-14 14:00:06

Yes. It's only there when the page first loads and when I scroll, it disappears completely.

If it was following me it would be annoying!

I wonder whose is misbehaving?

IneedAwittierNickname Fri 21-Nov-14 14:01:53

Mine stays at the top but I still prefer it to the ones in the middle of the thread. I kept clicking them by mistake

Tanaqui Fri 21-Nov-14 14:20:02

Mine comes down and it's annoying- there isn't enough screen left to read on.

PippiHippo Fri 21-Nov-14 14:27:09

Mine scrolls down as I scroll - very annoying!

ophiotaurus Fri 21-Nov-14 14:53:03

Bump

PinkSquash Fri 21-Nov-14 14:57:02

Mine is stuck at the top of the screen and I preferred the ads in the text, it's really annoying having it taking up a large amount of screen space.

moxon Fri 21-Nov-14 14:59:28

It follows me as I scroll but I do find it less annoying than the mid-thread ones, that I used to click on accidentally sometimes. And once your mobile knows you like 'Zoopla' because you visited the site (having frantically clicked back back back to no avail!) you're permanently bombarded with property adverts whether you want them or not. hmm

RedPony Fri 21-Nov-14 15:01:56

I hated those annoying adds in the middle of the thread. I was always clicking them by mistake and if my signal was poor it would take forever to load the thread back up again. The banner at the top is still annoying but is much better than before

wobblyweebles Fri 21-Nov-14 15:05:03

I don't mind it but I have an HTC One so pretty big screen. I wouldn't want the ads in the body of the thread.

PolterGoose Fri 21-Nov-14 16:58:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrettyPictures92 Fri 21-Nov-14 18:05:22

I like the ads being at the top, even though they scroll down with me. It's far easier not to click on them for me and less distracting when I'm reading a thread smile

poolomoomon Fri 21-Nov-14 18:44:42

Hate it. It's the fact they follow me down the page so wherever I scroll it's always there flicking in my eyes. Too distracting and hurts my head. Wouldn't mind if the banner stayed at the top, could avoid the fucker then at least...

AgentProvocateur Fri 21-Nov-14 19:02:18

Hate them at the top too. The flickering is really distracting. Far prefer them in the middle of threads, but would prefer to pay and avoid them all together.

ophiotaurus Fri 21-Nov-14 19:08:50

I wouldn't mind if they didn't scroll with you but it's annoying for me that it does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now