Talk

Advanced search

Silently to judge those who split infinitives in thread titles?

(68 Posts)
UptheChimney Thu 20-Nov-14 17:38:14

Or:

To judge silently those who split infinitives?

I could make up some bollocks theory about what sort of person would split an infinitive in a thread title , but it'd be bollocks, wouldn't it?

<gives self a biscuit

tobysmum77 Thu 20-Nov-14 17:42:15

yabu split infinitives aren't even incorrect. It's inventing rules for pedants.

Permanentlyexhausted Thu 20-Nov-14 17:44:04

I think to silently judge them would be absolutely fine.

grin

natwebb79 Thu 20-Nov-14 17:46:26

I agree with Toby. And I'm a linguist by profession.grin

WhereIsMyGin Thu 20-Nov-14 17:47:20

Nothing wrong with splitting infinitives.

So YABU.

NEXT!

Bettercallsaul1 Thu 20-Nov-14 17:51:12

I await, with bated breath, your views on the Oxford comma, OP! grin

aoife24 Thu 20-Nov-14 17:52:34

Yes, you would. Explain to me why an infinitive should not be split when it eminently can be in English?

DoJo Thu 20-Nov-14 17:54:35

Thread titles in Latin should definitely not include split infinitives. In English, however, they are fine.

Bettercallsaul1 Thu 20-Nov-14 17:59:24

Ita vero, Dojo. grin

JeanneDeMontbaston Thu 20-Nov-14 18:10:04

Silently to judge much more elegant. The thread title sets my teeth on edge. wink

I think the OP knows split infinitives are bollocks, somehow.

If we're being really daft, it'd be even more proper to judge them in silence, adverbs being considered infra dig.

QuacksLikeADuck Thu 20-Nov-14 19:10:57

Hi OP, I thought it best to read up on split infinitives before replying. But after consulting Wikipedia I have to say that if it's good enough for Star Trek then it's good enough for me!

"To boldly go... " grin

tobysmum77 Thu 20-Nov-14 19:18:07

I dunno jeanne I once had the miafortune to work in a role that required correct English.... With someone who really did think split infinitives were incorrect grin and she was always pulling me up on it angry

FishWithABicycle Thu 20-Nov-14 19:22:43

YABU
Infinitives can't be split in Latin.
Some very silly dead WASP guys thought that therefore we shouldn't split them in English.
Pointless pedantry.

Bakeoffcakes Thu 20-Nov-14 19:23:13

What's an infinitive?

Andrewofgg Thu 20-Nov-14 19:23:41

Constat, Dojo et Bettercallsaul1.

Andrewofgg Thu 20-Nov-14 19:24:37

FishWithABicycle How do you know that the pedant was a Protestant?

Ohanarama Thu 20-Nov-14 19:27:04

I got downgraded on my dissertation for split infinitives confused

JeanneDeMontbaston Thu 20-Nov-14 19:27:36

Why wouldn't he be, andrew? confused

Codified English gramar broadly postdates the Reformation, surely?

toby - meh, 'correct' as a concept annoys me too. Especially when, even from a prescriptive point of view, it's wrong!

JeanneDeMontbaston Thu 20-Nov-14 19:28:11

* or grammar.

HugeFurryKnittingBalls Thu 20-Nov-14 19:28:35

I think only an english graduate would have a clue what a split infinitive was. I grew up in the 70's which was evidently a desert in terms of grammar. I can just about put a comma in the right place and I'm fairly sure I know where an apostrophe belongs but beyond that I'm obviously a numbskull.

Fancy explaining a split infinitive to those of us who are curious or is it like being a lawyer where you don't actually want the plebs to know? wink

Something with "to" at the beginning Bakeoff ?
eg. to do
to go

etc. etc.

Pipbin Thu 20-Nov-14 19:30:42

Up with this I will not put.

Bartlebee Thu 20-Nov-14 19:31:32

I'm an English grad and atrocious pedant, but I catch myself splitting infinitives.

JeanneDeMontbaston Thu 20-Nov-14 19:32:40

huge.

In Latin, the words 'to go' or 'to walk' or whatever are always one word (eg. 'ambulare,' meaning 'to walk').

For centuries, people had taught Latin grammar as a second language, so it was all codified and there were rules. So when they came to write rules for English (which everyone had just learned normally as a first language), they nicked them from Latin, and said that since in Latin it's all one word, in English the two words 'to walk' should never be separated.

It's bonkers.

But that's why you're meant to write 'Silently to judge' or 'To judge silently' not 'To silently judge'.

JeanneDeMontbaston Thu 20-Nov-14 19:33:21

My grandpa used to say 'up with this I will not put'. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now