Talk

Advanced search

to ask if anyone knows anywhere nice to eat near New Street station

(17 Posts)
ChrissCrossCrunch Thu 20-Nov-14 15:17:27

Meeting a friend for lunch mid week. She'll be getting off the train at New Street station, Birmingham.

Anyone know anywhere we could go for lunch. Or AIBU to think there will be anywhere but fast food places nearby?

WeirdCatLady Thu 20-Nov-14 15:18:57

Ming Moon

www.mingmoon.co.uk

Yummy all you can eat Chinese buffet. Really lovely.

flashnorman Thu 20-Nov-14 16:32:58

The mailbox is only a 5 minute walk from New St station, there's lots of choice for restaurants there, Miller & Carter being my fave grin

Whippet81 Thu 20-Nov-14 16:36:41

The Mailbox is minutes away - lots of restaurants there from the swanky to nice chains like Gourmet Burger and Miller and Carter.

The Cube is slightly further along and has Marco Pierre White there.

EustaciaBenson Thu 20-Nov-14 16:39:25

The old joint stock is good. Also the food hall in the pavilions has a natural choices which has some nice options if you want somewhere cheaper

BuzzardBird Thu 20-Nov-14 16:42:36

I too would walk into the Mailbox.

Lots of nice places to eat, recommendations would depend on budget, time, and cuisine preferences though. Whatever your budget and taste there will be somewhere nice to eat within a 15 min walk of New Street.

listsandbudgets Thu 20-Nov-14 17:13:39

Depends what you want and how long you've got and how much you want to spend.

If you're in a bit of a rush then a buffet place is good. I like ink{http://www.woktastic.co.uk/\www.woktastic.co.uk]]/} you can just sit down at the conveyer belt and get on with it. THey have an all you can eat buffet price so no adding up coloured bowls grin

If you have a bit more cash and fancy trying Nepalese then try Jojolapa but watch their slightly restricted opening hours. The food is great and the staff are really helpful.

There's an Italian I've heard good thigns about on Ethel Street but I can't remember its name at the moment (its upstairs above a sandwich shop)

To be honest there's probably something for you whatever your time and budget restrictions

New Street station itself is not renowned for its inspired cuisine though!

listsandbudgets Thu 20-Nov-14 17:14:30

sorry Woktastic link again

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 20-Nov-14 17:16:57

Bodega.

Surprised no one has said it already. It's on Bennetts hill, about 3-5 minute walk from new street. I can't link on my phone, but it's brilliant.

stormtreader Thu 20-Nov-14 17:23:14

I love Bodega (had my birthday meal there :D ), it can be very busy though. The sweet potato fries are great.

MaximumVolume Thu 20-Nov-14 17:25:19

If you like Thai food, Kinnaree in the Mailbox is lovely.

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 20-Nov-14 17:26:17

It can, but it's Sooo good.

Also German market is on atm if that makes a difference?

confuddledDOTcom Thu 20-Nov-14 18:03:44

As others have said it depends on time and budget, Birmingham is great for food and not really a lot of fast food. At the moment is the German Market if you fancy walking that and get food there. If you don't you can really just choose a direction and find food. To your left as you come out is The Mailbox or a little past there is Broad St and Brindley Place. If you go right you go into town and lots of places to find around there but more pub or food court type places.

I'll suggest www.sancarlo.co.uk/birmingham

Really short walk from New Street. And, if you don't fancy it when you get there, there are a few other good places to eat within 100 metres or so.

And then there's www.shogunteppanyaki.com/
Which is probably my daughter's favourite restaurant in the world let alone Birmingham.

AWholeLottaNosy Thu 20-Nov-14 18:16:30

Ooh these look yummy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now