Talk

Advanced search

To ask you why it could be that I wake up in a vile mood every day?

(23 Posts)
SilenceOfTheSAHMs Thu 20-Nov-14 13:16:45

I do not suffer from depression, or sleep deprivation. I do not smoke or drink (God I sound boring) or use drugs (Apart from Tramadol and Carbamazepine prescribed by doctor).
Every morning I wake up grumpy. I am irritable and feel bleak. I have never felt like this before, this has come on in the last 6 months. I used to love mornings, love being up at 6am all organised and ready for work!
Do I need St. John's wort or something?
I hate feeling this way, I just can't get going! Am I getting old? I'm only 32! I get DS's uniform and school things ready the night before so its not like I have to rush around in the morning is it! No relationship troubles, DP is very helpful and supportive in every way!
What's wrong with me?
Do I have SAD?
Anyone else foul on a morning? Thanks x

EatShitDezza Thu 20-Nov-14 13:18:59

It's mornings. You've realised they aren't all that grin

ShatnersBassoon Thu 20-Nov-14 13:21:04

Do you have any gas appliances in your home? I'm wondering if carbon monoxide could be present and making you feel ropey.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 20-Nov-14 13:27:18

You say "I don't take any medication apart from..."

It's the Carbamazepine in all likelyhood. That has a variety of side effects including mood changes.

fourwoodenchairs Thu 20-Nov-14 13:27:47

I'm like this. Always have been.

Do you sleep ok?

Cornettoninja Thu 20-Nov-14 13:29:21

Have you tried vitamin d during the winter? Apparently we're all deficient during the winter months. I find it makes a massive difference to my overall mood but that could be a placebo.

It's worth seeing if your gp would do a blood test to check for anything like anaemia etc.

Is there a chance your having crap dreams? I don't remember mine often but have been known to be put in foul moods by them occasionally. I don't know what the answer is but I find staying away from depressing/stressful 'stuff' like the news can help. I feed my brain some nicer subjects to mull over during the night like a novel or films.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 20-Nov-14 13:31:30

It's possibly hunger

The second you wake you eat 2 digestive biscuits that you've put next to your bed, wait 20 minutes then get up

Low blood sugar

Catanddogmake6 Thu 20-Nov-14 13:44:08

Are you due a Tramadol when you wake up? That might do it. Also do you take the long acting Tramadol or the short release form. If you take the short release form you could ask your GP to switch you to the long form and split the 12 hour does in half eg instead of taking 200mg (12 hour slow release) Tramadol twice a day you take 100mg (12 hour slow release) four times a day. It stops the ups and downs.
Finally, Tramadol is fairly heavy duty painkiller. You must be experiencing long term chronic pain. That can knock anybody out. Perhaps your GP can ask the Pain Team for an appointment for some specialized pain CBT. Also pain can make you tired and grumpy even if you are managing it.
Hope you find something that helps.

Bulbasaur Thu 20-Nov-14 13:48:52

Do you drink coffee in the morning or any sort of caffeine? You could be on a mild caffeine withdrawl.

Also, how are your liquids? First sign of dehydration is irritability. Try drinking water before bed?

naturalbaby Thu 20-Nov-14 13:52:05

I always wake up in a vile mood. Fine after a cup of tea.

SilenceOfTheSAHMs Thu 20-Nov-14 14:09:08

Thankyou everyone, yes I take Modified release Tramadol for Trigeminal Neuralgia.
I will try better hydration and possibly vitamin D. I think a trip to the doctors too possibly.
Thanks thanks

Hatespiders Thu 20-Nov-14 15:10:23

Could it be sleep apnoeia? If you're not getting enough oxygen into you during the night due to snoring or blocking of the airways at intervals, you'd feel awful and 'unrested' in the mornings. Do you snore?

killerlego Thu 20-Nov-14 15:16:32

Too much morning cortisol? Cortisol increases at night at is highest at early morning. High cortisol can cause extreme anxiety/worry.

Try taking magnesium (glycinate). Will reduce your cortisol and in doing so will reduce any morning anxiety you have.

SandyJ2014 Thu 20-Nov-14 15:34:01

Poor you. I always think a lot of these types of problems in women are hormonal. Do you find it worse at some points in the month? I would keep a diary for a couple of months to see whether you can pinpoint any pattern/fluctuation.

Whether or not it is hormonal, I would recommend integrating exercise into your life (if you don't already) e.g. spinning class. Also, how is your diet? Could this be improved at all? I think this can affect mood and a good diet can also certainly redress a hormonal imbalance. Finally, I agree with another poster who said try a magnesium supplement. I would also had a heavey duty cod liver oil (1000 mg) per day. Hope it gets better.

Wineloffa Thu 20-Nov-14 15:44:26

This was me until about a week ago when I started taking a Wellwoman supplement and Cod Liver oil caps each morning. I feel like a totally new woman! I suspect it's the vitamin D. Try some! Xxx

velourvoyageur Thu 20-Nov-14 15:48:00

Maybe your sleep quality is bad. Do you snore at all?

DixieNormas Thu 20-Nov-14 15:50:54

Could be the tramadol, it made me feel grumpy in the mornings, affected my sleep too. I am a quite grumpy morning person though

Slutbucket Thu 20-Nov-14 15:55:26

It is most likely carbamazepine and tramodol are pretty serious drugs. They will be causing it. Are you ok once you have come round?

Catanddogmake6 Thu 20-Nov-14 17:03:36

It's going to sound like an odd question but what is your bed like? I found our old bed used to move lots if my husband had a bad nights sleep. I would wake up in pain and in a grump. Life is immeasurably better now we have a new superking with a split matteress.

Also how long have you had the neuralgia? I have CRPS and around 6 months to 1 year was a tough stage as you realise it's permanent. 10 years on I still have days when frankly I have just had enough of the pain and all the things I can't do. Chronic pain is just really debilitating. Is there anything that helps the pain - acupuncture, osteopathy, massage. Make an appointment and take time out for you, a half hour of calm. If none of those are any good just go and have a pedicure. You have enough on with a child, pain is an added complication.

outofcontrol2014 Thu 20-Nov-14 17:13:15

I would see your GP. What you describe sounds like a mild dose of depression at a guess, but there could be other causes and a blood test should be done to make sure you're not anaemic or something!

SilenceOfTheSAHMs Thu 20-Nov-14 19:24:41

Wow, lots of suggestions and advice here! Thankyou everyone! I seem to sleep well, DP says I do not snore.
On the diet front I could possibly be a bit healthier in what I eat. I'm not overweight hugely (5'6" and 11 stone) and do lots of exercise as I am a waitress in a large restaurant!
I'm OK by the time its school run time, I always try to wave DS 4 off to his nursery cheerfully.

Birdsgottafly Thu 20-Nov-14 19:37:09

As others have said, you are taking really heavy duty drugs.

Tramadol has just switched to a licenced drug, so you probably are due a review.

It could be simple, such as really low blood sugers, so having a check up and review of your overall health, can only be a good thing.

SilenceOfTheSAHMs Thu 20-Nov-14 21:05:14

BirdsGottaFly I have recently had a review, my doctor said it was ok for me to carry on as I have been on it for 4 years now. I have considered blood sugars. Also i have a depo shot every 3 months, maybe that is causing mood/motivation fluctuations?
I think I am going to go to doctors next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now