Talk

Advanced search

if you make a salad with tomatoes they must be vine ripened

(101 Posts)
mshanj Thu 20-Nov-14 12:06:39

Just poped round a friends for brunch, yum I thought when she had made a salad.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but the tomatoes were just basically red cold tasteless mush. Aibu to think there is no point of a Greek salad without decent tomatoes?

formerbabe Thu 20-Nov-14 12:09:45

Congrats op! You have won the award for the most middle class post ever!

NotTodaySatan Thu 20-Nov-14 12:10:46

YANBU.

Why make anything unless you're going to use good ingredients?

I went to a friend's house for dinner once and was giddy about the prospect of lasagne. The reality was a one layer effort with tiny amounts of watery mince in what was clearly cheap tinned tomatoes and a bucket full of dry herbs.

Bleurgh.

smokinggnu Thu 20-Nov-14 12:11:25

You do sound ungrateful. It was food, made by someone who considers you a friend (for now). I don't think a review is necessary. Do let her know you're too fussy an eater for social visits with food so she doesn't waste any of her valuable time making food for you again.

Blueteas Thu 20-Nov-14 12:11:28

Just 'poped round' does fill the mind's eye with a vision of you rocking up in a mitre and crozier and turning up your nose at inferior tomatoes.

(Tbh, I'm not that impressed with any tomatoes you can buy this time of year in this country, vine-ripened or not. I would probably slow-roast them or something if I were putting them in a salad.)

shoofly Thu 20-Nov-14 12:11:39

It's mid November. The only way tomatoes are decent is when they are in season.

PlumpingUpPartridge Thu 20-Nov-14 12:11:49

Congrats op! You have won the award for the most middle class post ever!

grin

I can't stand salad if it doesn't have buckwheat and quinoa added in.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 20-Nov-14 12:14:39

Sorry, is this TripAdvisor? I was looking for MumsNet... <toddles off>

RichTeas Thu 20-Nov-14 12:17:21

There are so many tasteless tomatoes out there, but I don't think they necessarily have to be on the vine. The baby plum tomatoes are very nice all year round.

mshanj Thu 20-Nov-14 12:17:26

It maybe Nov but there are plenty of heated green houses!

These are pretty nice www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-midi-plum-sundream-tomatoes--taste-the-difference-225g

Latara Thu 20-Nov-14 12:18:02

The only tomatoes I like in this country are baby plum tomatoes, they taste delicious.

I enjoyed proper Greek tomatoes when I was in Greece in July - they weren't vine ripened, they were huge tomatoes really cheap from the supermarket and they actually tasted of tomato.

However I don't think you should be ungrateful about a meal your friend went to the effort of making.

fortifiedwithtea Thu 20-Nov-14 12:22:28

YANBU.

My guinea pigs would agree with you, they are very entitled wink

ArcheryAnnie Thu 20-Nov-14 12:23:21

If you have cheap tomatoes, then slicing them with salt, pepper and a bit of vinegar and leaving them for a few hours at room temp is one way to make them tastier.

(But getting sniffy at a meal a friend made you isn't really on.)

mshanj Thu 20-Nov-14 12:23:38

I'm not being ungrateful to her, I ate it all (through gritted teeth)!

I tried my best to say how nice it was. Blatantly ignoring the tasteless tomatoes and the generic pitted black olives.

formerbabe Thu 20-Nov-14 12:25:19

generic pitted black olives

Oh it just gets better and better!!

CorporateRockWhore Thu 20-Nov-14 12:28:08

Oh, you ate it through gritted teeth. And there was me thinking you sounded like a bitchy snob!

RinseyMinceySpider Thu 20-Nov-14 12:28:12

All tomatoes are vine ripened.

Lilymaid Thu 20-Nov-14 12:29:34

"generic pitted black olives"
Oh my!

ChippingInAutumnLover Thu 20-Nov-14 12:30:27

I really do hope she's an MNer and see's you for the ;sandwich; you are.

NetballHoop Thu 20-Nov-14 12:30:28

Please tell me the Feta was organic? I don't think I'd survive if it wasn't.

mshanj Thu 20-Nov-14 12:30:37

I probably am a bit snobby with food. It is my one luxury. You may mock me but there is a world of difference between cheap pitted black olives and some good kamalarta olives, the purple ones.

JustAShopGirl Thu 20-Nov-14 12:31:00

How horribly ghastly for you..... hmm

DuchessDisaster Thu 20-Nov-14 12:31:41

It is November. Tomatoes are not in season in November. Anything tomato-approximate is going to taste like wet cotton-wool.
However, I agree that if you are making a salad with tomatoes they should be plump, sweet and juicy.
At this time of year there are other vegetables that are equally able to me made into delicious salads and are in season.

JustAShopGirl Thu 20-Nov-14 12:31:55

I presume you mean Kalamata

CorporateRockWhore Thu 20-Nov-14 12:32:53

It's Kalamata, but there you go. A real food snob would know that. Someone who just likes to snipe about their friends behind their back? Not so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now