Advanced search

tax credits, 254 calls so far today. Aibu to expect an answer?

(11 Posts)
LovleyRitaMeterMaid Thu 20-Nov-14 10:23:00

I received a letter from the compliance team telling me they have done checks and I am on track to earn a whopping £1450 more than I estimated and will be recalculated and lose money.

I had a small cos r living increase, nothing near that amount. I've worked it all out and think that what's happened is that they haven't taken pension contributions of our salaries in their checks and that's where the increase is.

So, it should be easy sorted right? Phone them ans tell them.

The letter has a number to call. It was engaged all last night. Tried again this morning, it's still engaged. I phoned the normal help line number and 30 minutes later I get told they can't help, it needs to be the number on the letter.

254 attempts so far, still engaged. If I don't get in touch by Monday I Will be recalculated and lose money. I got the letter yesterday even though it's dated 12th November. Apparently following a phone call according to the letter. I've never spoke to them since renewal time.

So what next? I'm cracking up here.

Witchesbrewandbiscuits Thu 20-Nov-14 10:25:21

Yep yabu to expect to get through on the phone - it's near impossible!

Wrote a letter and send it today, explain the circumstances and explain that you have been unable to get through and could they call you urgently on ... Number.

I've done this numerous times. Hope you get it sorted.

Witchesbrewandbiscuits Thu 20-Nov-14 10:25:37


Inthedarkaboutfashion Thu 20-Nov-14 10:26:48

A wage increase of £1450 shouldn't change your award amount within the current tax year because it is under the income increase disregard. You can earn up to £5000 extra without it affecting your tax credits until the following April. You do have to inform them though so that overpayments won't happen from April.

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Thu 20-Nov-14 10:31:04

I don't think that's the case anymore

DrDre Thu 20-Nov-14 10:48:49

I'd second writing to them. I always send them a letter. I got fed up spending ages trying to get through on the 'phone.

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Thu 20-Nov-14 10:52:46

I'm so pissed off they can hold people to ransom like this! I feel sick with worry and barely slept last night.

All for under £200 a month but I really need it unfortunately.

Can't wait for things to go our way again and I can tell them to get lost!

stubbornstains Thu 20-Nov-14 10:53:44

Thirding writing to them! Definitely underline the fact that you only received the letter yesterday. Send it first class recorded delivery, and then the onus is on them to contact you smile.

YesIDidMeanToBeSoRudeActually Thu 20-Nov-14 11:09:28

Contact your MP. HMRC have a department solely to deal with ministerial complaints.

MPs need to be aware of the problem the tax credits system is causing for their constituents.

HMRC also have a complaints procedure and will reimburse you reasonable expenses incurred due to an error of their making.

YesIDidMeanToBeSoRudeActually Thu 20-Nov-14 11:12:23

Oh and YANBU!

Don't get me started on the "disregard" system which basically means you can lose your job, but your tax credits will still be calculated on previous years income less 2500. Great when your new income is zero!

I don't want to derail your thread with ranting though.

Latara Thu 20-Nov-14 12:22:11

They are useless aren't they!

I was put through to 3 different helplines before I got the answer I needed. To make matters worse they asked me for £143 that I DIDN'T owe them. I didn't pay it because they were wrong, luckily they agreed in the end.

But the helplines are so frustrating!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: