Talk

Advanced search

dp has installed an ad blocker

(38 Posts)
mshanj Thu 20-Nov-14 09:34:57

Dp has installed an ad blocker on our machines. Aibu thinking this is highly unethical? The app he installed has been banned by Google on the google play app store!

Collaborate Thu 20-Nov-14 09:36:24

What's unethical about controlling what others put on your screen?

SaucyJack Thu 20-Nov-14 09:37:47

Unethical is a strong word.

But it's the revenue generated from advertising that allows most websites to function, so I'm a put-up-and-shut-up kinda gal.

tywysogesgymraeg Thu 20-Nov-14 09:37:59

Well Google would ban it, wouldn't they. They get paid for all the advertising. If no-one sees it, they aren't going to make much money.

FreeWee Thu 20-Nov-14 09:38:33

As long as it doesn't contain a virus I'd say can you tell me what it's called so I can install it?! Hate being stalked by ads for things I searched for weeks ago. Ruins present surprises too as I can't always be arsed to go incognito.

LuisSuarezTeeth Thu 20-Nov-14 09:39:03

Unethical? confused

PureMorning Thu 20-Nov-14 09:40:31

I have adbocker. I hate pop ups and things flashing all over my screen.

Its not illegal to have one and i don't want yo be stalked by shops to buy stuff online

DoJo Thu 20-Nov-14 09:41:30

What do you think is unethical about it?

SevenZarkSeven Thu 20-Nov-14 09:41:34

If he has installed it on your machine without asking you he is out of line.

If they are shared machines and he generally has the go-ahead to make changes then I see no problem.

If you don't like it then tell him why and have a conversation with him and you can decide between you to a. leave it b. take it off c. take it off and user another one which you deem to be more "ethical"

kim147 Thu 20-Nov-14 09:44:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Comito Thu 20-Nov-14 10:02:26

Huh? I have adblocker because I hate seeing ads on screen. How on earth is it unethical?

Sheitgeist Thu 20-Nov-14 10:07:38

I make a point of never buying anything that has "popped up" and disturbed what I'm doing.
If you have an old PC or low spec, you might give up before your page has loaded: it takes so long because its trying to load increasingly large/colourful/ dynamic ads... fecking videos, even!

DoctorTwo Thu 20-Nov-14 10:21:19

Google and ethics in the same sentence? shock Google hoover up more data than the NSA and GCHQ combined, which is why I use Startpage. An AdBlocker can stop all sorts of nasties, specially when teamed with NoScript.

Jolleigh Thu 20-Nov-14 11:27:49

Doing something that Google doesn't like is hardly unethical hmm

skylark2 Thu 20-Nov-14 11:37:21

Adblock Plus is my best friend. Occasionally I catch myself wondering why someone is complaining about all the adverts they see because it's so long since I saw any at all on that site.

I think your DP's got a lot of sense.

WD41 Thu 20-Nov-14 11:44:20

Unethical?! Bloody sensible more like.

Tell me OP, if you're waiting to watch a video on YouTube do you skip the ad as soon as you're able, or do you sit and watch the whole thing for fear of being unethical?

Gruntfuttock Thu 20-Nov-14 11:45:23

I don't use an adblocker as such, but I do use a Firefox add-on called NoScript, which has the side-effect of blocking ads too. I've never heard of anyone regarding adblockers as unethical, let alone highly unethical. I think you should thank your DP.

magpiegin Thu 20-Nov-14 11:47:40

Why unethical OP?

BankWadger Thu 20-Nov-14 11:52:26

Google removed my nectar search bar because it's not from their playstore. I'm extremely annoyed about that because I used it a lot. Google don't like it because it's powered by their rival. I feel it's my choice to make and not theirs.

RightyTightyLeftyLoosey Thu 20-Nov-14 12:01:57

Ethics!!! You know that Google and other companies track your history, monitor your emails and posts, look for keywords and then give you adverts based on your internet history, FB posts etc. Is that ethical or just clever?

^^THIS

I have Firefox Adblocker.

I would also recommend a free add-on called Ghostery. It lists all the trackers lurking on the website and what they do, so you can see who is watching what you click and what the information is for.

I was literally shock at the amount of trackers on some websites, some are perfectly legit (FB/twitter buttons eg) but most are designed to target you with ads/ work out what demographic you fall into etc etc.

Some have more than 30 ffs.

RightyTightyLeftyLoosey Thu 20-Nov-14 12:06:01

Oh and you can turn the trackers off (which I now do as default) and its made such a difference to the amount of targeted shite I get in emails/ on fb etc.

mshanj Thu 20-Nov-14 12:07:43

Sorry but if everyone installed an add blocker then the lovely girls at mn would be without a job surely?

HouseAtreides Thu 20-Nov-14 12:20:26

I love AdBlock! The ads stll annoyingly come up on my Kindle and mobile so the poor hard done by Mad Men are still getting their solid gold Mercs.

prh47bridge Thu 20-Nov-14 12:20:51

Sorry but if everyone installed an add blocker then the lovely girls at mn would be without a job surely

Most ads are pay per click. If no-one clicked on any of the adverts on Mumsnet they wouldn't get any advertising revenue from them. Surely you don't believe that ethics requires you to click on ads?

Ad blockers are not unethical. They give you faster response times and improved security. They can also save energy. The browser you are using almost certainly blocks unsolicited pop-up ads already.

Gruntfuttock Thu 20-Nov-14 12:22:35

OP, why don't you ask the people at MNHQ whether any of them use an adblocker?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now