Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to ask DP to watch The Box of Delights with me this Christmas?

(16 Posts)
ZombieJenna Thu 20-Nov-14 08:24:01

It's always been one of my favourite Christmas stories and I used to watch it every year with my mum parents. I haven't seen it for years but I found the dvd yesterday and it brought back lots of happy memories and I really want to see it again.

WIBU to ask DP to watch it with me, even though it's not really his thing? After all, I watch all of his military/rugby/motorbike racing stuff with him (and manage to look interested wink)

smokinggnu Thu 20-Nov-14 09:01:38

Stick it on after a meal? The perfect time to watch and get cosy.

DeWee Thu 20-Nov-14 11:07:05

I got it and watched it with Dh. he really enjoyed it, although I did have to explain that for the time the special effects were brilliant (he didn't have a TV). I remember being so amazed what they did.
Pity they then followed it up with the Narnia ones where the special effects were, in contrast, dreadful.

CMOTDibbler Thu 20-Nov-14 11:14:10

YANBU - I love the Box of Delights and always read it before Christmas

ZombieJenna Thu 20-Nov-14 14:06:59

Good idea to put it on after dinner - something nice and warming like stew or risotto - then snuggle up under a blanket with a nice glass of wine and enjoy the story.

I asked DP and he said he vaguely remembered it but he was in his late teens at the time and wouldn't have actually 'watched' it. Still he doesn't mind giving it a go smile

You're right DeWee, the effects in the Narnia ones weren't as good but I still have a soft spot for them - especially Tom Baker as Puddleglum the marsh wiggle

Summerisle1 Thu 20-Nov-14 14:09:31

I love the Box of Delights. My dcs were younger when it was first on and we all found it completely captivating. Must order another copy...

Kickassandlollipops Thu 20-Nov-14 14:35:57

Oh god this scared me to death as a kid , I still look over my shoulder even now if I'm walking down a snowy street!confused

jellybeans Thu 20-Nov-14 14:46:35

I bought it last year but find it doesn't seem as good now. Kids found it scary as well (more in a 'freaky' way!). YANBU though

DiseasesOfTheSheep Thu 20-Nov-14 15:53:45

I was scared of Abner Brown as a child, but loved the skating mouse! We always watch it at Christmas smile

ZombieJenna Thu 20-Nov-14 16:37:55

I loved Cole Hawlings, wise, kind and quirky, living for a very long time and has a magic box that's bigger on the inside, just the person every child needs to guide them on their big adventure. But then Patrick Troughton already had experience of that, didn’t he? grin

rumbleinthrjungle Thu 20-Nov-14 18:13:48

It's utterly charming! (Family's fave Christmas video, we all watch it every year although we all now live in different households.) For the time it was made it's stood up to time incredibly well.

AnyoneforTurps Thu 20-Nov-14 19:23:38

YANBU - read the book to him too smile. I think it's the most Christmassy of all children's stories (with the possible exception of that one with the manger & the donkey..), even though it's only peripherally about Christmas. The moment when they get to the church in time for Midnight Mass is magical.

russellgrantschin Thu 20-Nov-14 21:30:24

YANBU

The Wolves are coming!

russellgrantschin Thu 20-Nov-14 21:30:42

Oh whoops...

The wolves are RUNNING!

BikketBikketBikket Thu 20-Nov-14 21:56:38

They recorded a lot of the exterior shots for TBOD in the town where I then lived. I can remember taking the DC to watch the filming, and them being fascinated by the snow-covered road -- in the middle of a very hot summer..! smile
When it was shown, it was weird to see a character walking down a street that we knew well, turning into a house (that was a well-known local pub) and then emerging into a totally different room as they cut to the interior set.... grin

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 20-Nov-14 22:02:20

Fab series. I'd never heard of it but my husband's a big fan. We watch it several times over Christmas.

That young Master Harker has a bit of an attitude though, the way he speaks to the maid of the house! shock

Mariah is my favourite. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now