Talk

Advanced search

To think Grandma shouldn't have done this..

(79 Posts)
ragrevel79 Wed 19-Nov-14 19:10:59

So. DS' 7th birthday. He's a Lego fiend. His grandmother (my ex's mother) has bought him a £132 Lego set. She doesn't normally go so stratospheric, my ex's family is quite well off and normally she gets something generous but not crazy. She has told him that it's large, and he gets a bit of a smaller one for Christmas. I feel really quite pissed off that this is the kind of present we as parents would get (on a very generous year! We got something less than half that this year) and she's totally trumped us. I feel that grandparents should get something in line with (or smaller than) the parents. I also feel bad for my parents and my husbands parents that their presents look paltry in comparison. She's normally very well behaved so I am surprised. My ex thinks I should chill out and not make a big deal. I get on with her so I just want to say politely that whilst we are grateful could she not go quite so big in the future. But ffs, surely this should be obvious?!

notagainffffffffs Wed 19-Nov-14 19:12:36

Just swap the gift tags ;)

pauline6703 Wed 19-Nov-14 19:13:21

Does DS like the present? It is his and if he likes it all is good. Do not be worried about the cost all that should matter is if he likes it.

bluesbaby Wed 19-Nov-14 19:15:51

Your want your little one to miss out on a great present because you want to be the best present giver? hmm wrong attitude...

NorwaySpruce Wed 19-Nov-14 19:17:03

A 7 year old won't be bothered about the cost, it's just a gift he'll love.

You shouldn't be weighing up others gifts against yours.

I'm always delighted when the grandparents go all out for my children.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 19-Nov-14 19:17:29

YABU

EatShitDezza Wed 19-Nov-14 19:17:50

My mum spoils my son every year. I struggle to find ideas. I wouldn't stop her though!

It isn't a competition

LadyLuck10 Wed 19-Nov-14 19:17:53

You're actually pissed off because your child got an amazing present. How about being grateful and thinking of the many children who won't get anythinghmm

TidyDancer Wed 19-Nov-14 19:19:12

Don't swap the gift tags, that's just silly. Why does it matter who gets the biggest present? Surely what matters is that your DS is happy? You can't really prioritise your desire to be the best present giver over that?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 19-Nov-14 19:21:37

Will your DS guess it cost so much, does it matter if it's a one-off.

LadyCybilCrawley Wed 19-Nov-14 19:21:59

Just be grateful she cares

Dinglethdragon Wed 19-Nov-14 19:22:38

<<It isn't a competition>>

This ^

You're a family, they can afford to give him a nice present, accept gratefully and tell him what a lucky boy he is to have such kind and generous grandparents.

zzzzz Wed 19-Nov-14 19:22:59

You're being silly.

Children have no idea how much things cost (especially bloody lego!), but even if it was a pony with full livery and a racing car. Who cares? Rich relatives sending bizarre and opulent presents is the stuff of children's stories.

Your boy is living that.

Enjoy! Feel lucky!

Ilovehamabeads Wed 19-Nov-14 19:23:12

I got an £80 Lego set one year that was reduced, plus I had vouchers to use too. It ended up costing me about £4 actual money. Maybe she did something similar. Don't compare prices, just be pleased for your son who will have no idea which presents cost more and who will be over the moon with such a lovely lego set.

ShockingBadHat Wed 19-Nov-14 19:24:29

I understand how you feel because my SIL does this to me at every single Christmas and birthday. I have told her and told her so it's not in innocence.

I believe it's a control issue. I have cried and sobbed about it but very few people understand, it's hard to express without sounding ungrateful.

Sympathies.

ArthurShappey Wed 19-Nov-14 19:25:06

You want your little one to miss out on a great present because you want to be the best present giver? wrong attitude.

This!

msgrinch Wed 19-Nov-14 19:25:08

yabu. Be grateful. Your son will love it!

molesbreath Wed 19-Nov-14 19:25:41

I don't see the issue.

Grandma has bought a gift ds will love. It's bigger than your gift . So what ?

Fishstix Wed 19-Nov-14 19:27:34

My mum always gets the kids a bigger present than we do. We can't afford it, she can. DC's get something they love. Seems like a no brainier to me.

NickiFury Wed 19-Nov-14 19:27:50

I love it when relatives give my children generous presents. I love that they're excited about giving my child something they know they will love plus it saves me a shed load of cash

antarctic Wed 19-Nov-14 19:28:32

It would annoy me if this happened every year, but you say she's not usually like this so I assume she saw something he'd love and couldn't resist. YABU.

MrsPiggie Wed 19-Nov-14 19:28:42

My DCs' grandparents always buy the best presents for them. I never thought of it as a competition. My SIL bought a very expensive present for their birthday and I felt bad about it, but only because she spent so much money on my kids. But really, if they can easily afford it and your son is happy, yabu to complain.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 19-Nov-14 19:29:17

Churlish. That's the word that sprang to mind reading the OP

youarewinning Wed 19-Nov-14 19:31:50

Be grateful!

My mum and dad aren't short of a few bob and I'm a LP. They offered DS a bike one year for his birthday. I couldn't afford it but no way was DS missing out just because it was the biggest present he got.

BringYourOwnSnowman Wed 19-Nov-14 19:31:51

YASoBU

grandparents always get the best presents don't they?

And do you give presents to your kids in order to bask in the glory of their gratitude?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now