Talk

Advanced search

To think that a school should ask for parental permission before singing certain songs

(116 Posts)
ReallyTired Wed 19-Nov-14 18:08:08

Dd came home from school singing "Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so." She attends a community school and there are only two practicing christians in her class. There are seven practicing muslims, a couple of hindu and most the children come from non religous families.

I realise that schools are required to a have a broadly christian basis to their worship, but there are loads of christian songs which would not offend non christians. Why would a school choose that hymn? I know that parents do have the right to pull their children out of assembly, but they do need warning if the hymn choice is going to be that extreme.

SoonToBeSix Wed 19-Nov-14 18:09:57

Yabu , I would hardly call Jesus's love for children extreme.

NorwaySpruce Wed 19-Nov-14 18:12:32

It's only a song.

If children adhere to another faith, they'll take happy clappy songs about as seriously as mine take 'I'm a little tea-pot'.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 19-Nov-14 18:12:35

It isn't that extreme. The Bible does say Jesus loves everybody. Irrc that one has a rather catchy tune.

I went to a state primary and sang hymns pretty much every day. Said prayers all the way from reception to age 16 (no assemblies as such in 6th form). Am I religious in any way as an adult? No. Did I actually believe it when I was a child? No. Still enjoyed singing along though.

MissMillament Wed 19-Nov-14 18:12:37

Extreme in what way? Find me a hymn that doesn't talk about Jesus/God. That is what hymns are for, surely? This is totally within the remit of worship with a broadly Christian basis. And I say this as a committed atheist.

NorwaySpruce Wed 19-Nov-14 18:14:15

And it's hardly extreme, I really can't imagine anyone being 'offended' by it.

I'm pretty sure that kind of offence is only taken in other people's imaginations.

SantanaLopez Wed 19-Nov-14 18:15:42

All of the Christian songs can be described as 'jesus loves me because the Bible tells me so'.... unclench!

stripedtortoise Wed 19-Nov-14 18:16:41

Honestly, if they had to worry about this and that offending that child and this child every bloody time they wanted to do anything like sing songs they'd never do anything!
I'm a strong atheist by the way and have no issue with this song or religion being taught in general. You can just explain and teach other things and explanations at home if you want to.
Just a song.

clam Wed 19-Nov-14 18:16:52

Oh ffs! I teach singing in my primary school and I'm fucked if I'm sending out bloody permission slips every time I'm about to run an assembly.

<<pours wine after shit day>>

GobblersKnob Wed 19-Nov-14 18:16:59

Yab a special kind of u.

TwllBach Wed 19-Nov-14 18:18:31

Primary school songs and their religiousnessnessness are all part of the fun of Christmas and singing at school, surely.

angelohsodelight Wed 19-Nov-14 18:19:41

FGS, get a grip. Pathetic or what. Yabu

APlaceInTheWinter Wed 19-Nov-14 18:22:30

I'm both confused and grin that it is considered 'extreme' to say Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so
The Bible does say that Jesus loves everyone so, in that context, it's accurate rather than extreme.
Seriously, OP, if you consider that extreme lyrics, you might be better opting out of assembly.

isitsnowingyet Wed 19-Nov-14 18:22:36

Oh dear clam

wine

grin

hiddenhome Wed 19-Nov-14 18:23:45

'Jesus Loves People Shocker'

grin

WooWooOwl Wed 19-Nov-14 18:23:54

YABU.

ChimesAndCarols Wed 19-Nov-14 18:24:50

Oh, bloody hell.........not this AGAIN. Home educate if you don't like it ReallyTired

Tinks42 Wed 19-Nov-14 18:25:14

Thank you for making me laugh out loud here OP.

RufusTheReindeer Wed 19-Nov-14 18:25:49

I though it was something like

Smack my bitch up

I'm a bit disappointed now hmm

clam Wed 19-Nov-14 18:27:50

grin @Rufus.

Think I might put that on the plan for next week.

meglet Wed 19-Nov-14 18:27:55

It's only a song. My favourite was always "who put the hump upon the camel....." <<Bobs up and down>>.

Nevertheless I did understand it was actually all to do with evolution, it didn't turn me into a creationist or anything.

< <Hums....."Who made cats and bats and rats.....">>

Catsarebastards Wed 19-Nov-14 18:28:55

Well i'm an atheist and i love that song. We sang it in primary school and i never thought it was 'real' just a catchy song. Any child who didnt want to sing it could replace 'jesus' and 'bible' with whatever applied to them.

AryaUnderfoot Wed 19-Nov-14 18:29:50

Earlier this year someone got offended about their child being taught that French song about plucking larks.

I think it's time schools just banned singing.....and dancing.....and laughing......and generally everything else.

Bunbaker Wed 19-Nov-14 18:31:31

Oh really!

FGS! Pick your battles.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 19-Nov-14 18:31:55

Way WAY over the top OP. Its just a bloody song. YABVVVU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now