Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to refuse to join in with collection?

(16 Posts)
Joolsy Wed 19-Nov-14 17:16:42

DD2 is in Yr 1 and some of the mums are starting a Christmas collection, £5 donation to be split between teacher & TA. We didn't do a collection for teacher in Reception for Xmas. Myself & my friend have said we don't want to take part but will give to a collection at the end of the school year (we have kids in yr 6 & are now of the opinion that teachers don't expect a present & we feel it's unnecessary). But we may be the only 2 not giving! WWBU to stick to our guns?

DaisyFlowerChain Wed 19-Nov-14 17:34:10

Upto you if you give but will you be happy if your child's name is not included when it's given?

OwlCapone Wed 19-Nov-14 17:36:27

What are your objections?

molesbreath Wed 19-Nov-14 17:36:53

No. Yanbu. If you don't want to contribute don't. Simples.

Do what you want in life - don't be swayed by others

WooWooOwl Wed 19-Nov-14 17:43:18

Of course YANBU if you don't want to contribute. It's not compulsory.

Leeds2 Wed 19-Nov-14 17:47:30

You shouldn't contribute if you don't want to.

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Wed 19-Nov-14 17:48:56

Your objections are irrelevant. If you don't want to do it, that's fine.

antarctic Wed 19-Nov-14 17:55:07

Of course YANBU. I organise the Xmas collection for DS1's teacher. Most people contribute; some don't. No big deal.

TheAlias Wed 19-Nov-14 18:04:53

YANBU. The teachers don't expect it, are in fact slightly embarrassed by it and it will make no difference at all to your DS if his name's not on the card.

Most of the other parents will feel the same way you do but aren't brave enough to say no. Well done.

OTOH, at least it's only £5, I've heard of much more and if you were intending to buy them each a present this would actually save you some money.

waithorse Wed 19-Nov-14 19:44:42

YANBU. I'm not a fan of class collections. I'd rather do my own thing.

usualsuspect333 Wed 19-Nov-14 19:49:32

YANBU.

I wouldn't give a stuff if my childs name wasn't included when the gift was given.

BackforGood Wed 19-Nov-14 19:54:41

No, of course YANBU.
I've only come across this idea on MN, and really don't like it (speaking as both a parent, and a teacher)

Joolsy Wed 19-Nov-14 20:02:30

No I understand my DD's name won't be included & that's fine. We might make some cupcakes for teacher & TA. I just don't see why parents feel they need to give school staff a Christmas present for doing their job! I work in education and never get anything, neither would I expect it. I have a feeling DD's teacher might even be a bit embarrassed by it as he's pretty shy and it's his first teaching job.

Hatespiders Wed 19-Nov-14 21:31:40

I made it quite clear when I was teaching that I did not want any presents, but that I'd love a little hand-made card with nice writing inside. I'd have been so embarrassed at the thought of a collection going on.

slippermaiden Wed 19-Nov-14 21:34:46

Hmm, I always give a small present to the teacher and the assistant. Wouldn't join in with a collection though, someone else making a decision of what I should give and what will be bought would piss me off!

Iggi999 Wed 19-Nov-14 21:45:41

Anything I could buy or make for two people would cost me more than a fiver, and you don't even have to shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now