Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if my unpopularity at the school gates will affect my son in school

(13 Posts)
Meemoll Wed 19-Nov-14 17:07:53

I feel like it is. Four kids just didn't turn up for his party, no explanation from mums. They don't seem to be so friendly to me, I try to be friendly but always end up feeling a bit patronised. Will my son be affected by this in school do you reckon? I don't make friends easily and am really worried that my son in year 2 is going to be cursed by me as I seem to do everything wrong in the other mum's eyes.

EatShitDezza Wed 19-Nov-14 17:30:42

Most people don't turn up for parties. I'm hoping most don't when I do my sons next week grin

Cauliflowersneeze1 Wed 19-Nov-14 17:35:12

Aw bless your heart
They are just rude bitches . Better to find out now than to be snubbed continuously , find new friends , you won't be the only one they've ignored

TheNumberfaker Wed 19-Nov-14 17:36:03

I think it depends if it's a 'most of the class' party or a smsll group of friends one? We had a couple of no shows to DD1's reception whole class party but not to the smaller one she had this year.
Was there a big gap between sending invites and the party, e.g. over half term?

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 19-Nov-14 17:36:57

Not in my experience. I am very rarely at the school gates, my husband does pick-up-drop-off and doesn't talk to anyone (in a rush to get to work / too grumpy delete as appropriate).

This has not affected son 2, who has always been popular. Son 1 has a few issues but that's not down to me I don't think.

furcoatbigknickers Wed 19-Nov-14 17:40:44

Its not your job to be popular. Your ds fill find his way. Some peopke are just rude fuckers.

WyrdByrd Wed 19-Nov-14 17:44:13

You'll always get some like this.

I've worked since the end of DD's first term so drop offs & pick ups have been a mixture of me, DH & GP's. There are a couple of mum's I'll pass the time of day with but no-one I see socially & DD is in Year 5 now. Certainly hasn't affected her popularity at all.

Summerisle1 Wed 19-Nov-14 17:46:21

I was rarely outside the school gates due to work and don't regret it one iota. Clearly there's a whole doctorate waiting to be written about the dynamics of school gatery!

Your ds will make his own way at school and certainly, not being popular with people who simply aren't worth trying to court popularity with isn't going to curse him.

I'm afraid that people aren't reliable with party invitations. Most of us who've got our children through the party age will confirm this. But don't blame yourself.

Meemoll Wed 19-Nov-14 17:57:40

Smallish group of friends, the parents that did turn up seemed very unimpressed with me and the party in general. I just feel generally that I'm not welcome amongst the mums and just hope the kids get on with it rather than being affected by this pettiness. Some days, like today, it just makes me feel so sad. I thought it would be very very different to this at school. How stupidly naïve of me.

CruCru Wed 19-Nov-14 17:59:49

Well, they just plain don't sound very nice. It was kind of you to invite their children.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 19-Nov-14 18:01:52

The older they get, the better this will be <crosses fingers>. At least this year is better than last year for me. I hate the lack of RSVPs, I hate the lack of invites for DD and I hate feeling that DD is suffering because I moved away from my friends.

OP, keep your fingers crossed for my DD's party in two weeks.

WipsGlitter Wed 19-Nov-14 18:02:55

What exactly happened? How did you feel they were "unimpressed" - did someone say something or was it just a feeling?

Is it that YOU want to make friends? Dies your DS have friend?

I know the mums who live close are closer or who do a lot of play dates. So they know each other anyway.

balineselantern Wed 19-Nov-14 18:08:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now