Talk

Advanced search

To not want to be called an 'apple?' (light-hearted)

(10 Posts)
salsmum Wed 19-Nov-14 01:03:34

I saw this lovely top in a 'larger ladies shop' and being a size 22 wasn't sure whether to get the 20 which seemed the same size when held together as the 22/24...I asked the 20 something year old behind the counter...'excuse me; is there much of a difference is these 2 sizes because I can't see any (My eyes are not great anyway) and she said; well lets see where you might need a lil bit 'extra' (material)...she looks me up and down (with my thick padded coat on) and states- your apple shaped which means you are carrying more around your middle shock...I took the top into the changing room and all I could think of was Granny smiths and Golden Delicious confused...Think i will deffo join a slimming club after Christmas, maybe then I can go back and say- wrong i'm a runner bean it was all coat!! grin.

steff13 Wed 19-Nov-14 01:05:03

You can be thin and still be an apple. Or a pear, or hourglass, or whatever.

Bulbasaur Wed 19-Nov-14 03:17:32

grin Aside from lacking a little tact about it, it is a valuable skill for her to know how to dress in a way that flatters your body shape.

My body shape stays the same regardless of how chubby I am. So as Steff said, you can be skinny and still be an apple.

TsukuruTazaki Wed 19-Nov-14 04:03:32

I think she was really rude! Totally tactless to look you up and down and comment like that. However I do think your question was a bit hmm as I'm not sure what she can sensibly say to it! Obviously the next size up is bigger and if you're not sure which will suit you just try them on?

StripesofGold Wed 19-Nov-14 04:31:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cheesecakemom Wed 19-Nov-14 06:17:54

ABU - you should have tried it on.

Arlagirl Wed 19-Nov-14 06:28:59

I am tall and slim and an apple.

merrymouse Wed 19-Nov-14 06:35:23

This sounds like advice from a women's magazine.

She could equally have said "Oh you are Autumn, you should wear fiery earthy tones".

It sounds as though she was trying to be helpful but could work on her delivery.

poolomoomon Wed 19-Nov-14 08:13:34

No matter how much you weigh your shape will remain the same, it's just how you're built and it's not really something you can change although you can kind of force yourself to be an hourglass by corset training...

Even when I was six stone heavier I was still an hourglass shape, just with very wide hips and ginormous boobs and thighs grin. It's useful to know what shape you are to get the most flattering clothes. For example as an hourglass I look AWFUL in anything really loose fitting like swing dresses and in anything with a polo neck. Look into it, you might not be an apple- it could definitely have been the coat!

HighwayDragon Wed 19-Nov-14 08:21:11

aye, I'm a size 10 on top, 14/16 bottoms, definitely a pear

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now