Talk

Advanced search

Christmas present Scrooge

(19 Posts)
Shelly32 Tue 18-Nov-14 21:25:44

My girls desperately want a tablet for Christmas. I'm an avid reader and want them to enjoy reading physical books. I've nothing against ebooks but they can't read at all yet (just a few words) as they are only 4yrs old.

They want the tablet to play games but I'm worried they will end up like some of the kids I teach at school: plugged into a machine during most of their free time. I want to leave this sort of thing until much later. I know I can limit the time they use them but I don't really want to give them the taste for it yet.

Am I being a Scrooge? Are their tablets out there that are purely for educational purposes?

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 18-Nov-14 21:30:58

If they desperately want one it sounds like they've already got a taste for it?

You can set it up so it just has educational games on it and limit the time they have it.

Or just don't get one.

How disappointed are they going to be Christmas morning if they don't get one?

soverylucky Tue 18-Nov-14 21:34:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Onwards2014 Tue 18-Nov-14 21:35:32

I know people will be along soon saying they gave their child a clip round the ear and a broken twig and they were grateful etc etc...

However I think you can roll with the times and it's okay. I think the idea they ll be more virtuous and grateful by not getting this stuff is flawed. Jamie Oliver went on about resisting this stuff but really - why? Everything is heading that way and tablets are in most classrooms. It's the future.

My dd(7) has an acer tablet and seriously she uses it less than riding her bike. The intrigue has been taken away. It's just normal. Like a digital watch. Just something that's there.

Onwards2014 Tue 18-Nov-14 21:36:13

X post with sovery!

fuzzpig Tue 18-Nov-14 21:36:19

No not a Scrooge at all! I think you are perfectly justified in saying no to your four year olds grin

FWIW I love our iPad - had it for a couple of years now, it's an old 1st gen that my very generous friend gave us when he upgraded. The DCs play on it and we are so lucky to have it, but there's no way I would've considered buying one at that age even if we could afford it.

We do set time limits too.

Shelly32 Tue 18-Nov-14 21:38:06

Hmm I'm not sure how disappointed they'll be as they've asked for every other thing that comes on t.v this week! They recently played on one at a friend's house which is where they got the idea from.

I have no idea about these types of things as even my husband and I don't own one. Thank you for your reply!

Shelly32 Tue 18-Nov-14 21:42:48

Oh, thanks everyone. I don't feel such a meany now! I do agree with not wanting them to be as behind the times with technology as I am. I just hate the thought of them wanting to play on it all of the time rather than being outside/using their imaginations to play with other toys. I've seen their nephews have royal strops when restricted on their Ipads/tablets/computer games and definitely don't want this.

I think I might give it a miss this year and think about it again when the are a little older..like 13! wink

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 18-Nov-14 21:45:36

My DC are only 23 months and 10 mo ths but there is no way they would be getting anything like this.

They are not allowed to touch our iPads or phones either

I just don't think it's age appropriate. There's tons of other lovely things they could get. I just see it as the same if they asked for a car or a bottle of gin and would just tell them that they are too young for it at the moment

Shelly32 Tue 18-Nov-14 21:46:56

Not quite the same as a bottle of gin but never mind!

Onwards2014 Tue 18-Nov-14 22:04:58

But a toddler and a baby don't even know where their mouths are. A 4yo is beginning to read.

My 7yo is starting on the gin, but we've got a way to go....

DrasticAction Tue 18-Nov-14 22:15:42

I think 4 is far too young, this debate was in depth last year.

I was thinking of getting dd then 6 a Hudl....for games mainly, she was on the cusp of reading.

After reading posts by people in the know on here, ie more in dept run down of what too much screen time does...I decided against it and I am thrilled I did.

DD started to read that christmas, and has been avid reader since. She plays on our phones a little for games. We have no ipads or anything here just normal comps.

She is very comp savvy already and has lessons in school.

I know I will bow to pressure soon, but due to last years success I have held off for another year, so no Hudl this year either.

Next year she will be 8 and I think I will get one then.

I think 4 is far far far too young, just google too much screen time etc. There is no need for it. They have a lifetime infront of screens, look at us now on here blush.

Hold off, there is always next year.

This has nothing to do with cost, of small child and expensive piece of kit and everything to do with small children having one childhood.

DrasticAction Tue 18-Nov-14 22:17:25

I think I might give it a miss this year and think about it again when the are a little older..like 13!

well done op I don't think you will regret it.

dementedma Tue 18-Nov-14 22:18:47

Is a hudl just for kids? I only need a very basic tablet so don't want to spend loads on tech which I won't use. Would a hudl be OK for an adult or will I get funny looks? I have an old nexus 7 just now but its dying on me

fredfredgeorgejnr Tue 18-Nov-14 22:20:00

DD is 3.5, she's has "her tablet" pretty much throughout her life, it's not strictly hers in that it was ever given to her, but given that we never wanted it for much it is, and she certainly thinks of it as hers as much as anything else. She enjoys it, doesn't use it that much more than other toys, and when she does, like anything she's learning skills.

She also still loves books, nothing about a tablet is a substitute for that, they're completely different, sure she may decide to read on a tablet rather than a book in future - lots of adults do now - but that's irrelevant.

There's nothing unimaginative about play via a tablet, it's down to the child, like any obsession a child can get, you want to limit obsessions, 12 hours a day playing with lego, or jumping in puddles is just as bad as 12 hours on a tablet. Such obsession is not normal though, so shouldn't be pre-empted, but dealt with when they do.

They don't need a tablet, so don't get one if you don't want to, but a general purpose android tablet costing under 100 quid is pretty good value, certainly a lot better than a leap pad and stuff.

fredfredgeorgejnr Tue 18-Nov-14 22:22:19

dementedma The hudl 2 at 129 quid (less with clubcard doubling up) is excellent value for money, it's a brilliant tablet, and the sales volume mean support will continue (for apps like iPlayer and CBeebies apps or other apps you may want). It's not at all kid like.

tippytappywriter Tue 18-Nov-14 22:23:32

My children are 10 and 7. They don't have their own tabet or laptop. They do however have access to mine but need to ask and have a time limit. I won't be getting them their own for some time. They are not behind with technology. Scrooge I am happy to be - works for us.

dementedma Tue 18-Nov-14 22:24:32

Thanks Fred.I just surf, email, a few apps and need some sort of word/office app for basic docs. If it doesn't look like a kids toy it might be just the job!

JackShit Tue 18-Nov-14 22:34:08

My 4 year old has a Kindle Fire. She loves it BUT she also enjoys physical books, drawing, painting, playdoh, lego, walks in the woods, softplay, dancing, cooking...

Balance is possible smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now