Talk

Advanced search

Husband just being awkward?

(40 Posts)
lia66 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:23:55

Eldest son ( 17) and I are watching I'm a celeb last night. Husband comes home, sits down starts moaning about son wearing his new £75 American football top to "lie around all over the sofa in" here starts a mini rant about that's why son doesn't deserve nice things cos he doesn't respect them and so next time won't be getting a top. :-0
Myself and son are left agog and no amount of where am I supposed to wear it then and I'm not exactly rolling all over the garden in it makes any difference.
Who is being unreasonable?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 18-Nov-14 20:26:19

Your dh is bu. He sounds like something more than the top was botherig him. What is he usually like?

Summerisle1 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:27:19

Sounds like your husband has come home with his miserable fucker head on.

ApocalypseThen Tue 18-Nov-14 20:27:26

I don't understand. Your son was watching the telly in his new top and your husband gave out to him - but for what? Surely not wearing his clothes?

lia66 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:28:21

Like this. He bought younger ds a shirt a couple of years ago that cost him £45, ds was 8. Be then insisted ds wasn't allowed to play out in it, it was a casual shirt btw.

It's not just clothes.

lia66 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:29:04

Yes apocalypse

LadyLuck10 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:30:07

The £45 top for playing outside I can understand being upset over, but a 17yo just watching tv? He is bu

motherofmonster Tue 18-Nov-14 20:31:04

No he is being a grumpy pain in the arse

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 18-Nov-14 20:31:10

So where ARE they supposed to wear their clothes?

steff13 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:34:02

What occassion would your husband consider this shirt to be appropriate. I assume by "American Football Top" you mean a jersey? Most people here wear them either to go to games, or to watch the game on tv. Even though it was a bit pricey, I'd consider it a casual shirt.

lia66 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:34:42

I'm not sure where they are supposed to wear them. He'd had a shower, we were just relaxing. Dh comes home and kills it.

My reasoning about the £45 shirt was, it's a casual checked shirt, just dh wanted ds to have some designer clothes then wouldn't let him wear them. Bloody frustrating I can tell you.

ApocalypseThen Tue 18-Nov-14 20:37:11

Bizarre. I wouldn't have thought anyone would find it necessary to keep a sports top for special occasions. Was he going to wear it to funerals?

TracyBarlow Tue 18-Nov-14 20:37:27

He's being an idiot. I don't believe in clothes for 'best'. If you pay so much for something then why not get as much use as possible out of it? It's ridiculous. People pay pennies for clothes in Primark and wear them for months when they've got dresses and tops and trousers worth hundreds just sitting in their wardrobe waiting for a 'special occasion'. Bollocks to that, I say!

SolidGoldBrass Tue 18-Nov-14 20:37:56

This sounds unpleasant and potentially abusive. If there is a person in your house who sets arbitrary, unpredictable and unreasonable rules then that person is spiteful. Is he peculiar about eating habits/tidiness/bedtime or anything else? Are you and DC constantly anxious that you will do something wrong and he will go on the attack?

lia66 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:38:47

Steff, yes if they went to another game ds would wear it but they've no plans to do so as it was a treat.

Another example is dh took the boys to the Belgium Grand Prix recently and bought them both costly formula one casual bomber style jackets.

Younger ds ( now 11 ) wears his a lot and so hangs it in the cost cupboard. Dh had a similar rant at him saying it will get ruined in there and should be hung in the wardrobe. < rolls eyes> . Fgs ds would be up and down the stairs 50 times a day to put his jacket on and off.

Summerisle1 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:39:14

It sounds as if your husband is more interested in the value of possessions than he is the point of having them. Does he view everything as some sort of status symbol that has to be admired rather than put to a practical purpose?

lia66 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:39:49

coat cupboard

MysticLeg Tue 18-Nov-14 20:41:25

Could he have been bothered by the way your DS was lounging on the sofa? I sometimes get irritated if people lie down on sofas...I know that's unreasonable but I feel that if you need to lie down you should be in bed.

Is he like that?

lia66 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:41:39

He has strange ideas about a lot of things that I think are normal. Don't slouch all over the sofa for instance, if you're tired, go to bed. There's plenty of room on the sofa btw.

RiverTam Tue 18-Nov-14 20:42:06

is this normal behaviour from him? Did he have a dreadful day at work/commute? Have you posted this literally as soon as this happened?

lia66 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:42:30

Mystic whoops, yes but you acknowledge that that might be a tad unreasonable. wink

lia66 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:44:07

No, this happened yesterday although I was very tempted yesterday but I was watching TV at the time. ( and if we use our phones whilst claiming to be watching TV then he turns over, saying we can't possibly be doing both ).

He's out tonight.

ApocalypseThen Tue 18-Nov-14 20:45:25

I trust your son is in his designated telly outfit?

lia66 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:46:49

Haha, he's upstairs on his Xbox. Younger ds and I are watching Flash.

Wolfiefan Tue 18-Nov-14 20:47:12

Is he controlling in other ways?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now