Advanced search

Temperature of 39+ degrees in 7+half month old - aibu waiting it out?

(30 Posts)
Isisguises Tue 18-Nov-14 18:54:49

Poor DC 7+half months has had a temperature above 38 for the entire day since waking up at 5am. It has now gone over 39.1 and stayed up for last hour. Have given three ibuprofen doses throughout the day and two paracetamol doses (last one half hour ago). Temperature still hasn't dropped. DC has had a few brief alert phases looking happy even though the temperature was still there, but mostly drowsy, sleeping, moaning sadly and crying. No other symptoms like a cold or teething and no obvious rash. Has had a few breastfeeds but refused food and water. Should I wait it out till morning and hope it breaks or take the little one into a+e tonight? Feel a bit worried, but it may just be because DC is my first...... blush

Redhead11 Tue 18-Nov-14 18:57:34

phone the doctor. It might be nothing, but a temp that high is not something to ignore. It will put your mind at rest if nothing else.

MyCatLovesMeSometimes Tue 18-Nov-14 19:00:12

Agree doctors or A&E (no point call 111 as they'll just tell you to go to A&E anyway). They won't mind in a baby this young.

Florabeebaby Tue 18-Nov-14 19:00:36

Call the doctor. They are always happy to look at babies...the high temp shouldn't be ignored, also the loss of appetite can be a sign of an infection.

Aeroflotgirl Tue 18-Nov-14 19:01:37

A&E definitely

Summerisle1 Tue 18-Nov-14 19:03:07

A & E without a doubt. That's a worryingly high temperature.

Isisguises Tue 18-Nov-14 19:03:37

Maybe yes. I always feel like they might go "ooh you're just over reacting and once you've had three kids you wouldn't bother the gp qfter hours until they literally melt their eyes out." But yes. Phone now? Or should I give the last dose another 30min or so to hope it makes a difference?

Isisguises Tue 18-Nov-14 19:05:43

Sorry slow typist. My reply above was to redhead. Thanks everyone else for the helpful replies so quickly. Seems as if I should a+e then.

raltheraffe Tue 18-Nov-14 19:07:08

definitely A&E ASAP

coniferssilhouette Tue 18-Nov-14 19:08:21

For a baby over 6 months the NHS recommends that you always contact a health professional if the temperature is above 40 degrees, but I would do whatever you thought seemed wisest as I'm sure no one would mind if you are worried as it is still a high temperature.

skylark2 Tue 18-Nov-14 19:08:41

If you're worried about your baby, call the doctor regardless of what the thermometer says.

If you think it's just a bit of a bug, 39 degrees isn't close to high enough to be worrying in itself.

I wouldn't take a 7 month old to A&E just because of a slightly raised temperature. Too much close contact with people who have nasty bugs.

"a temp that high is not something to ignore"

My son was on a medical trial (research into kids getting flu and bad colds) when he was little, which involved me taking his temperature every night before bed. It was frequently that high even when he was perfectly well. Kids' temperatures can be all over the place.

This is a "mum knows best" situation, and what I'd be more worried about is the constant drowsiness. If baby's temp was normal, would you still be worried? If so, call the doctor.

ChestyNut Tue 18-Nov-14 19:09:17

Drowsy and temp not responding to medication- A+E
Has she had wet nappies?

Good luck thanks

KatieKatie1980 Tue 18-Nov-14 19:10:46

I would go to an urgent care/walk in/A&E at this time of night. Take a note of when meds were given etc.

Just FYI - I took my 2.5 yr old DD to the GP last week with a temp of 38.6 - increased to 39.2. He was very concerned as the first dose of Calpol and Nurofen hadn't done much and I had to go back later that day for a 2nd check up. Turned out to be a UTI in this case.

Hope it all goes well at A&E - will put your mind at rest too x

QueenofKelsingra Tue 18-Nov-14 19:11:42

if the temperature comes down with medication I'm all for waiting it out. with a temp staying that high I would be going to a&e.

I assume you've given him a tepid bath, stripped him off etc to cool him?

babies can dehydrate very quickly, if he is not eating or drinking and is not Bf'ing as much as usual get him to the hospital. I speak as a parent who had their baby rushed in by ambulance for dehydration after a seemingly small cold with a temp, they go downhill so quickly. I don't mean to panic you but I went from 'she's not too well again today, bit warm' to 'she's all floppy and wont wake up' in the space of half an hour. don't take chances.

DonnaLymansSockPuppet Tue 18-Nov-14 19:14:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Isisguises Tue 18-Nov-14 19:23:00

Thanks so so so much, all! Four wet nappies today so far and I have been checking the fontanel regularly for dehydration signs but nothing seems different to how the spot usually feels. Not gone in to a+e yet. Will get call back from doctor. Temp was 38.9 a while ago so dropped slightly and DC is sleeping so I thought I'd wait another half hour.

x2boys Tue 18-Nov-14 19:26:35

Definatley a and e with a child that young I wouldn't be to worried with an older child but would always err on the side of caution with a baby .

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Tue 18-Nov-14 19:35:03

It sounds like a viral infection, but don't take my word as I am not a doctor or nurse ( just going by my children medical history)

Phone the out of hours and get some advice.

KnackeredMuchly Tue 18-Nov-14 19:38:08

Phone the doc. Can I just check he's wearing just a nappy or a onsie? Unbutton him as much as you can

AnotherStitchInTime Tue 18-Nov-14 19:44:56

I would just keep an eye on your DC for the time being. The fever has reduced slightly which is good and although sleepy your baby is still breastfeeding and producing wet nappies. If things get worse and the fever is non-reducing with baby becoming lethargic and less responsive, then try to see an OOH GP or a paediatrician at A&E. If not then I would get DC checked out by your GP in the morning.

I always find the NICE traffic light guidance useful. You can count respiratory rate by watching the rise and fall of your babies chest/abdomen. A&E is very busy, distressing for a child and full of other sick people with other bugs you might not want your baby to pick up, far better for baby to be at home unless things change for the worse.

hollie84 Tue 18-Nov-14 19:46:40

I'd phone out of hours but wouldn't panic yet.

Spellcheck Tue 18-Nov-14 19:47:01

From experience with my 5 DC, strip your baby down to a nappy and keep up with paracetamol and ibuprofen alternately every 2 hours. Cool bath will make temp higher as the body will try to warm itself up so don't do this. Temp of 40 or higher might trigger a febrile convulsion. Whilst these are harmless (so I was told by night doctor) they are still very harrowing to watch. A and E might not be appropriate. Both times I've dialled 111 at night they have sent a paramedic which has been brilliant. Hope your doctor is able to come out to you. Babies are best at home in comfortable, familiar surroundings. Keep us updated!

KeepSmiling83 Tue 18-Nov-14 19:53:20

My DD had a temperature a couple of weeks ago and was drowsy. Her temp kept rising despite calpol and I took her to the walk in centre. She had bacterial tonsillitis and they said it was a good job I came in as they can go downhill quickly (she is 3 so much older than yours).

I would definitely go in if temp doesn't go down especially as you have been alternating medicine (which is what they suggested to me) and it still hasn't made much of a difference.

LokiBear Tue 18-Nov-14 19:57:36

Go to the walk in centre. This happened to my DD when she was 10 months and she ended up in hospital. It was tonsillitis and took two courses of antibiotics to make her better. The day before the temp spike she had been her normal self with what seemed like cold symptoms. My GP told me off and was really horrible until she saw that I'd taken her to the docs three days before and the other doc had said it was just a cold. Please get your baby seen.

formerbabe Tue 18-Nov-14 19:57:53

My dd was like this once....I took her straight to a & e whereupon she immediately perked up and was back to her old self...!! Better to be safe than sorry though...I'd take her now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: