Talk

Advanced search

To think that if companies want to do market research, they should bloody pay for it

(9 Posts)
attilathebun Tue 18-Nov-14 13:14:18

Seriously, I am beginning to think that we need a MN union. Annoyed at constantly having to scroll past sponsored posts that begin with the words, 'Crappy company wants to know what you think about X - win £250' on the talk boards. It seems to be getting more common. So, a crappy company wants to pay no more than £250 for its market research on here (in addition, that is, to whatever it pays to bother us by having its post prominently displayed), and then wants to use that research to flog us its wares. We should form a union to get paid properly to provide this sort of commercially valuable feedback!

Bowlersarm Tue 18-Nov-14 13:16:17

I think for the pleasure that a free MN gives, scrolling down is a small price to pay.

BIWI Tue 18-Nov-14 13:16:57

They do pay MN a fee.

But yes, as a market researcher I agree with you! Everyone who participates in research should be paid an incentive of some kind, I think. But companies see communities like MN as fair game.

And, to be fair, we do all benefit from it, because the money that MNHQ receives goes towards the cost of running the site for all of us.

And - you don't have to take part, of course wink

youareallbonkers Tue 18-Nov-14 13:17:56

sniggering at the thought that these companies are somehow getting these on without paying MN LOL

attilathebun Tue 18-Nov-14 13:22:03

I know they pay MN! (In fact I said so in my post.)

Just grumpy about having only a few MN minutes in a break at work and scrolling past yet more corporate posts in order to get to the really juicy stuff on the active threads grin

BIWI Tue 18-Nov-14 13:36:16

There aren't that many - so yes, YABU grin

VanitasVanitatum Tue 18-Nov-14 13:38:39

But MN is free for us and that's part of how they fund that! MNHQ need their gin.. YABU

KnackeredMuchly Tue 18-Nov-14 13:52:44

Yabu, I won £250 last Christmas grin

ScrambledEggAndToast Wed 19-Nov-14 18:56:18

I won £250 too but didn't see the pm until 4 days past the cut off date so they gave my prize away shock I was fuming, two weeks is not long enough IMO. People go on holiday for longer than that and don't check the internet!

Sorry to hijack the thread OP but I am still annoyed about it. Ex-DP wasn't allowed to mention it gringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now