Talk

Advanced search

AIBU re pushchair in communal area?

(171 Posts)
EllaJayne123 Tue 18-Nov-14 11:54:22

DD is 11 weeks old, during the week my partner works away and I don't drive. I live on a second floor flat in a very spacious block.

When I have taken dd out in the pushchair there is no physical way to carry the pushchair and dd up 2 flights of stairs (no lift) so I have started folding it up and leaving it under the stairs on the ground floor.

It is in no way obstructing anyone's way to/fro the building and there is also a sledge and some wellies under there.

Today a lady knocked on everyone's door and came to me and started shouting about the pushchair saying it is not my property and I should not leave it there. I apologised and explained my situation and she became very aggressive demanding I move it I told her that it is very hard for me to move it, she then got in my face so I closed the door on her as I did not want an argument with my dd in my arms.

My question is AIBU to leave my pushchair there?

Purplepoodle Tue 18-Nov-14 11:58:06

So its tucked right under the stairs, so you wouldn't trip over it in a fire. It's not ideal leaving stuff in communal hallway but I can see your point.

WorraLiberty Tue 18-Nov-14 12:00:20

Surely it has to be in the way a little bit for this woman to knock on all the doors, and then react like that?

HeyMacWey Tue 18-Nov-14 12:00:29

Is there anything in the lease that says what you can and can't use the communal space for?

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Tue 18-Nov-14 12:00:34

She's a cow but she's right. I was in your position and I would take the baby in, put her in the cot then go back for my pram. Nightmare but had to be done.

26Point2Miles Tue 18-Nov-14 12:03:13

she's right

how do other people in flats cope?

also,you cant guarantee it wont get moved out and become a trip hazard. even if you didn't move it out,it would be your responsibility if someone came to harm from it

Artandco Tue 18-Nov-14 12:04:47

In your situation I would have made sure pram was small folding and light weight. Put baby in sling to go up and down stairs and pram in hand folded.

Can you sell pram and buy one suitable for flat living? The babyzen yoyo 0+ with sling in stairs is great

KatoPotato Tue 18-Nov-14 12:05:44

Can you take a photo? MN communal buggy posts can take a ^spectacular u-turn after a photo is used. Anyone else remember that amazing thread that the OP was complaining about the neighbour's huge pram in a tiny hall? Everyone was a bit hmm until she posted a massive pram in an area the size of a postage stamp!

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 18-Nov-14 12:07:18

Well its no big deal to me. I wouldn't care.

But it could well set a trend and others will dump rubbish or buggies there too then clutter the whole place up.

Put child in cot take buggy downstairs. Go back up and get her.

blackeyedsusie Tue 18-Nov-14 12:08:22

use your car seat. come into the foyer. take baby out of pushchair take up to flat. leave baby strapped into carset outside or inside your front door. go down fetch pushchair. (get a rucksack for babybag and shopping. so you can carry baby and shopping at the same time. )

and aria pushchair is only 5kg, used from birth, can be unfolded/folded with one hand with a bit of practise,(though is a two handed model) and aria twin is just over 7kg.

NumTumDeDum Tue 18-Nov-14 12:09:25

I'd be worried about someone stealing it, I got a mcclaren when I lived in a flat so I could fold it and bring it upstairs. The woman sounds rude and didn't deal with it very well, so I'm not surprised that encounter upset you. How awful. I do think however good neighbour relations are important when you live in close quarters so maybe you could get a lighter pushchair?

EllaJayne123 Tue 18-Nov-14 12:12:09

Will get a photo when I go town but the hallways are massive, it's right underneath the bottom few stairs so not at all possible for it to be in your way, I did ask her if it was in her way and she said no but I don't like seeing it there and it's not my right. I got given the pram, it folds up small but the flats are very high so is hard to take it up. Will try to move it but will be a nightmare each time. First floor up people have bikes under stairs she had no problem with that.

EllaJayne123 Tue 18-Nov-14 12:14:04

Go down*

TheFantasticFixit Tue 18-Nov-14 12:18:54

As already said, you need the babyzen yoyo 0+. Easy one handed fold, teeny when collapsed (it's designed to fit in overhead lockers on a flight) has a carry strap to put it on your shoulder as you go upstairs. Totally recommend you look into it

TheCraicDealer Tue 18-Nov-14 12:19:59

Kato that was the first ever thread I read on MN. It was amazing.

My boyfriend lives in barracks (basically like uni halls); they each have a double room, a bathroom and a walk-in closet/storage area. One of the guys on his floor leaves his massive wash basket and his entire shoe collection, as well as assorted debris he collects on nights out, outside the door of his room. It pisses me off beyond all reason that he thinks it’s ok to use a communal hallway like this, i.e., somewhere to store his detritus because it doesn’t suit him to have it in his room. But I’d never dream of doing anything beyond giving dirty looks to his smelly shoes as I walk past.

So OP, while I am much more sympathetic to you and wouldn’t say anything, I can see why your neighbour is pissed off. You knew about the stair situation before purchasing the pram and you should have bought one you could carry up and down yourself. Even if you had no other option but to keep it there, you could have had a word with the immediate neighbours to make sure they were ok with it. So YABU.

Comito Tue 18-Nov-14 12:23:35

I sympathise with the OP, but having been involved with a group managing several blocks of flats, everyone thinks they have a valid reason to leave stuff in the hallway. It's basically down to fire safety and potential obstruction of the communal areas. You just can't allow one person to do it and not allow everyone else.

Also, be careful, because after spending two years writing to residents asking them to move their stuff out of the hallways and being ignored or given a thousand excuses, our management company have recently put in place a zero-tolerance policy. If something gets left out, it will be taken away with no warning and the owner will have to pay to get it back.

Vycount Tue 18-Nov-14 12:28:10

If she's knocking on everyone's doors and asking them to move their stuff from under the stairs then maybe she has a point. There will be something about communal areas in your letting agreement. If however she's happy for the sledge and wellies to stay there maybe she hasn't.
Or... maybe the sledge and wellies belong to people who live on that floor, and therefore one might reasonably assume that the space under "their bit" of the stairs would be for them to use, not someone who lives a couple of floors higher up. Just a thought.

BarbarianMum Tue 18-Nov-14 12:31:01

OP I share(d) your pain - used to live on the 3rd floor, no lift, with 1 baby and one on the way. I used to leave my McLaren in the communal area and lug baby plus shopping upstairs - awful.

We lived in a very trendy city centre development aimed at young professionals and no-one complained - some people even used to help me with the shopping.

I'd say leave your pushchair there and let her approach the management committee (she may not bother), then state your case. They may class it as a fire hazard so doubt you'd get permission to leave it there but you could argue that they've never complained about the other things. However, another problem with just leaving it is that it may mysteriously disappear 1 day.

Meloria Tue 18-Nov-14 12:37:35

Marking my place in anticipation of the photo.

PennyJennyPie Tue 18-Nov-14 12:41:53

I've been involved in property management, and essentially this is down to fire regulations. If the fire regulations are not followed the insurance for the building may not be valid.

Is this woman involved in the management of the property or leasehold association? I would contact the property manager to clarify if other people have left bikes there with no issue.

IneedAwittierNickname Tue 18-Nov-14 12:42:22

Meloria
Marking my place in anticipation of the photo.

Me too.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Tue 18-Nov-14 12:48:43

We share ownership of the freehold of a flat we have in a block. Fire regs state nothing is to be kept in communal areas. Various residents in the block are directors of the company that manage the freehold - could well be that the lady knocking was worried she could get into trouble if she was a director of something similar? YABU - though I sympathise.

MissMooMoo Tue 18-Nov-14 12:51:46

OP I used to live in a top floor flat and people on the ground floor used to leave their pram.unfolded in the hallway, it was extremely annoying and I said nothing.
they then started leaving loads of other stuff and it became ridiculous!
just take it into your flat?

outtahell Tue 18-Nov-14 12:56:18

Technically your neighbour is right, though if it's as you say, I wouldn't care myself.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Tue 18-Nov-14 12:58:16

Do you have a car? Leave pushchair / frame in there and bring baby in car seat / sling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now