Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have time off?

(8 Posts)
TheFluffiestOfAll Tue 18-Nov-14 10:44:22

Most pathetic Aibu, I know. I am poorly ie: ache, dizzy, fever, sore throat, not feeling myself. I have now taken 2 days off work. My job, let's say, involves speaking from 9-3.30 (although working 7.30-6) in front of 30 "clients" whom are aged 5-6. I feel so fecking guilty because I'm letting down my colleagues who will have to cover me. However, what's the point in going in if I am just going to delay my recovery, if you see what I mean?
So, aibu to have time off? Should I stop being a tit and worrying? Should I feel guilty? Meh blush.

trinity0097 Tue 18-Nov-14 10:57:26

If you need time off you take time off. If you teach older children where you can do a much more low impact lesson then it's easier to be in when unwell, for example I teach Maths and the calculated colourings come out when I'm feeling bad but not bad enough to be at home, but with the little ones you need to be much more on to of your game and more active all day than when teaching older children - if you go in with them they'll just get all your germs back again!

They will have no doubt given you the germs!

Everyone moans when they get cover (I organise the cover in my school), but unless you make a habit of it then no-one really minds! You'll no-doubt repay the favour when they are ill!

NaiceNickname Tue 18-Nov-14 11:04:21

I don't know, I always say that if you're really so sick that you shouldn't be at work then you have no time to feel guilty or have doubts about whether you should go in or not. You can always come home if you feel that bad.

But as you're working with kids, I'd probably take a day off and rest if you feel you really need it. I'm sure you'll still be as contagious as ever when you do go back, but if it will make you feel better to have a rest day then do it.

Fizzielove Tue 18-Nov-14 13:19:20

Your 'Clients' will miss you and be all the happier when you return at 100%
and don't worry about your colleagues - they'll manage!

peachgirl Tue 18-Nov-14 17:57:18

I'm in exactly the same position as you re:work, "clients", and sickness. I started feeling ill on Thursday and it's taken me this long to feel almost normal, after resting all weekend plus yesterday and today on doctor's orders. She said that if I went back to work too early, I'd prolong my recovery time. I feel almost back to myself now, so I'm going back tomorrow.

Don't beat yourself up about it, we all get ill from time to time and going back to work too soon means you'll stay ill and weaker than normal for longer. I'm sure your "clients" would want you back in tip-top shape!

TheFluffiestOfAll Tue 18-Nov-14 19:38:28

Thanks for your advice smile
I suppose I feel that I have let said "clients" wink down, but we are all prone to catching the odd bug. After all, Teachers are super human. flowers

nocoolnamesleft Tue 18-Nov-14 20:14:50

To be fair, your "clients" have almost certainly given you the lurgy...little viral warfare agents...good job they're cute.

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Tue 18-Nov-14 20:35:22

Seems to be lots of my mnetters with horrible colds lately.

You need to rest. Feel better very soon xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now