Talk

Advanced search

To let my DD watch tv?!

(65 Posts)
Bridezilla3521 Mon 17-Nov-14 18:25:59

I have just read a thread in which screen time was discussed, regarding how much etc. Some people said they don't let their DC watch tv AT ALL. Never. Ever.

Really?!!!

I find that extremely hard to believe.

My DD is 16 months old. She has tv on in the background in the mornings while I'm getting ready, tidying up etc or in need of just 30 mins of peace! In total, I would say she 'watches' (has it on while playing, occasionally turning around if a song or a programme in particular she likes comes on) 2-3 hours at the very most. That being a day we're at home by the way.

Is this too much?!! Can any of you honestly say that you NEVER have the tv on at any point during the day?!

waceystills Mon 17-Nov-14 18:34:02

Hell yeah.

waceystills Mon 17-Nov-14 18:34:34

As in yes, DS does watch TV.

bakingtins Mon 17-Nov-14 18:37:01

2-3 hours a day is a lot. My children watch half an hour after school, then they watch first thing in the morning at weekends, about an hour. Older one stays up to watch Strictly, otherwise we might watch a film one day at the weekend. Total for the week 6 hours. They are 4 and 7.

When I was growing up we didn't have a TV so I didn't watch at all, except at friend's houses. It's not that odd.

bakingtins Mon 17-Nov-14 18:37:34

Friends'

Charingcrossbun Mon 17-Nov-14 18:39:25

I don't think there is anything wrong with watching a little TV although TV can loose it's magic if on all the time. You can always tell kids who are not used to having it on in the background all day everyday (and I know you don't) because they view it as a treat and sit and watch in blessed silence when it is on.

BlairWaldorfHeadBand Mon 17-Nov-14 18:40:06

Let her watch TV whenever you want, she's your DD not the internet's.

I think it's a bit sad to time screen time then brag about it to strangers, surely you just get on with your own life?

WorraLiberty Mon 17-Nov-14 18:40:32

I've never limited screen time

My DC are aged 22yrs, 15yrs and 12yrs and they can all take or leave the TV

In fact DC2 is more interested in playing his guitar and violin and DC3 is more interested in playing rugby and football.

Just do what suits you and your family.

WittgensteinsBunny Mon 17-Nov-14 18:41:31

It's just a personal choice. I have no issue with dd, 17 months, watching CBeebies or playing with an iPhone app from time to time. We do loads of other activities at home and out and about. She doesn't exclusively watch TV or play with mobile phones! I don't see what the problem is with some screen time or even a lot of screen time if I'm not feeling well or need a break. She's a little ahead of her development milestones, very sociable and usually happy, so I can't see it's doing her any harm.

M27J5M Mon 17-Nov-14 18:41:37

My son has always watched tv, it varies in how much tbh, some days as little as half an hour other days it can be a few hours, if he's ill then he'll lie and watch movies for most of the day while snoozing on and off! He's still got a great balance of going into play, interacting with other kids and playing with toys etc so I don't worry about how much he watches really, if all he wanted to do 24/7 was watch tv then obv I'd be worried but I think each parent is diff and we all have diff views on these things

Littlef00t Mon 17-Nov-14 18:43:07

Your the parent, but the guidance is 30 mins a day for under 2.

glorious Mon 17-Nov-14 18:43:22

Yes, my DD has watched perhaps 30 mins in her life, all at other people's houses. She's nearly two. I don't watch it and don't feel the need. We have the radio on a lot though. But if it works for you then great.

Littlef00t Mon 17-Nov-14 18:43:36

You're the parent, but the guidance is 30 mins a day for under 2.

Littlef00t Mon 17-Nov-14 18:43:55

Oops about double post.

Bridezilla3521 Mon 17-Nov-14 18:44:31

Bakingtins - please read my post properly. The tv is on, on days we're at home, 2-3 hours in the background. Watches some of it.

Frusso Mon 17-Nov-14 18:45:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BackforGood Mon 17-Nov-14 18:45:41

You need to do what suits you and your family, but, being as you're asking, I hate the TV being on 'just in the background'.
If you want to watch something, then watch it, if you don't, then turn it off is my thinking.
2-3 hours a day seems a massive amount to me for a tiny dot like that though.

moonrocket Mon 17-Nov-14 18:45:58

YABVU- don't you want her to go to Oxbridge [sic]?

16mo is very young though, the Americans recommend no screentime whatsoever for under 2s.
I'm not American, but it seems fairly reasonable to me- television is far too fast-cut for small children. The childrens TV I have seen in friends houses seems completely inane.

My children are far older than toddlers, but have never watched television... because we don't have one. They have seen films at the cinema though, and watched the olympics at their granny's.

They're both the strongest readers in their respective year groups too (selective school).

moonrocket Mon 17-Nov-14 18:46:54

shock x-post. 2 to 3 hours???? shock

MrsPiggie Mon 17-Nov-14 18:49:14

Two friends with children haven't got a TV at all, so yes, I can easily believe there are people whose children never watch telly. As far as I'm concerned, telly was the only thing that made life bearable when the kids were up at 5am. Also TV in the background when the kids were playing etc

moonrocket Mon 17-Nov-14 18:50:29

Does she not nap in the day any more?
I grabbed my '30 minutes peace' when they napped, or after they'd gone to bed (sorry- I know that sounds preachy, it honestly isn't meant to, just asking the question).

Or tbh, in the case of my first, went without! (ASD, non-sleeper for 6 years...)

WittgensteinsBunny Mon 17-Nov-14 18:54:16

I seem to remember my sister watching quite a lot of telly as a young child and plenty of Disney films on repeat. She has a PhD from Oxbridge and was always the strongest reader in her year. She didn't go to a selective school and managed to get 5 A grade A Levels. I'm not quite as bright but watched a similar amount of TV to dsis, I only got a 2:1 from a top 20 Uni and was in all top sets at school. I can't see it doing any harm to watch TV. And 2-3 hours background TV at 16 months doesn't seem like a big deal to me...

batmanandrobin Mon 17-Nov-14 18:55:30

everything's okay in moderation, though i do have a friend with 3yo dc who is so inlove with tv they'll tantrum to go home if we are out!!

im surprised people are so against tele.. i thought technology was on the up!

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 17-Nov-14 18:57:08

The guidance is no TV at all under three where I live. 2-3 hours at 16 months does seem a little much. If you take out naps, sleep, mealtimes, bath etc. that's a serious chuck of her 'free' time with a the TV on.

LadyLuck10 Mon 17-Nov-14 18:57:47

Well of course on mn a lot of people just lie. Do what you feel is best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now