Talk

Advanced search

To not want an injection in my bum?

(78 Posts)
CherriesAndOtherStuff Mon 17-Nov-14 13:13:13

Every time I go to the nurse for my pill check she always tries to talk me into switching to the injection instead. I have to admit that I'm not really convinced that it is the best thing since sliced bread that she is insisting it is but have been considering it recently. I thought it might be good not to have to remember to take a pill every day (I have tried the implant and hated it and I can't have a coil) so at my last appointment when she brought it up I asked for more details.

I did kind of like the sound of it until she mentioned that it's given in your bum (or as she politely called it "your bottom" blush). I had assumed that it would be in your arm like a vaccine.

At this point I kind of went red and said I'll just stick to my pill thanks and left.

I am happy with the pill I'm on, so it's not a great loss...

rocketjam Mon 17-Nov-14 13:16:09

yabu. Get over yourself. People have to go through a lot worst, it's no big deal quite frankly.

Aeroflotgirl Mon 17-Nov-14 13:16:26

No she is wrong, I had Depo years back it was injected on your bum cheek, not in your anus.

HighwayDragon Mon 17-Nov-14 13:17:34

I'd go on the injection, but it takes 9-12 months for your fertility to return to normal when you come off it, I know 2 friends that have suffered with secondry infertility that are convinced it's because of the injection.

shouldnthavesaid Mon 17-Nov-14 13:17:38

It's less sore in your bum to be fair. I haven't had the contraceptive jag but I have had pain relief and local anaesthetics several times into my bum and I have always found it a lot less painful than anything in to my arm.

Only disadvantage I think with the jag (aside from weight gain) is that if it doesn't seem to suit you it can't be taken out, you have to wait until it leaves your body , so it's not like the pill, coil etc when things stop.

CherriesAndOtherStuff Mon 17-Nov-14 13:17:54

rocket but I'm happy on the pill. I just wanted to know more about the injection but as I'm happy on the pill I'll be sticking to that.

Legohair Mon 17-Nov-14 13:17:55

I've not had a contraceptive injection, but have had numerous vaccinations in the buttock, and it's probably not what you are imagining - I remained fully clothed and was just asked to pull down the waistband of my trousers slightly, sitting on a chair - if I'd been wearing low-rise jeans, I probably wouldn't have even needed to pull them down slightly. It was less 'in the bum' than 'somewhere low down on your side between your hip and the upper part of your buttock'.

If you think it might work for you as a contraceptive method, then I wouldn't be put off by the place it's administered.

Seriouslyffs Mon 17-Nov-14 13:17:55

hmm
Grow up. If you're old enough to have sex, you can a female hcp your bottom.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 17-Nov-14 13:18:02

It's not really in your bottom, you just pull your trousers/skirt down a bit and it's at the top there. No one sees anything.

FlipperSkipper Mon 17-Nov-14 13:19:27

If you're happy with the pill, then why consider the injection? I admit I'm biased against it as I suffered very badly with side effects when I was on it, but if you're happy with your current method I'd stick with it.

Passmethecrisps Mon 17-Nov-14 13:20:40

I had quite a bad reaction to the jag but the gp gave me pills which counteracted the injection.

It was in my upper bum cheek bit. My saddle bag if you will.

If you are happy on the pill then just say that.

1hamwich4 Mon 17-Nov-14 13:20:45

It's not that big a deal to have it really- you have a nice big pad of muscle there so that makes it easier.

Having had Depo in the past though, I can't recommend it as a contraception though. I felt thoroughly miserable on it- like permanent pmt.

Tinkerball Mon 17-Nov-14 13:22:23

Well if you're happy what's the issue then? confused

zoemaguire Mon 17-Nov-14 13:23:41

Cherries do you have kids? Surely you can't - in which case, and this is said kindly, reliable contraception might be the way to go for now, because if you're worried about showing a small piece of your upper bottom/lower back to a female nurse, then you're going to find labour, er, a bit of a shock grin

CherriesAndOtherStuff Mon 17-Nov-14 13:24:26

Legohair I see thanks. I was picturing having to pull my pants down and her sticking the needle in my arse cheek.

I'm not sure it will work. On one hand I quite like the idea of not having to take a pill every day but then again I only have to go back for the pill every six months and I find those appointments annoying enough. With the injection it will be every three months and like I said the pill has been great for me...I don't know what it will be like on the injection.

Viviennemary Mon 17-Nov-14 13:26:41

YANBU not to want this. It's not a necessity as there are alternatives.

CherriesAndOtherStuff Mon 17-Nov-14 13:26:57

I don't have children, no. Not going to have any either.

I admit to having quite a few fears around medical procedures because of past abuse so I think going through pregnancy and labour would not be a good idea.

BastardGoDarkly Mon 17-Nov-14 13:29:17

Not entirely sure why you posted then?! hmm

Elvish Mon 17-Nov-14 13:30:25

Why did you hate the implant? If the hormone in that doesn't suit then the injection is probably not going to be good for you either - I think it's the same progesterone only hormone in both.

I loved being on Depo, used it for over 10 years but I agree if you are thinking of TTC then use something else as it can take a while to wear off (took me 7 mths to conceive after the last injection ran out)

TheListingAttic Mon 17-Nov-14 13:30:26

"We discussed the jab last time, and decided I would stick with the pill. Thanks."

The reason that some injections are given into the bottom is that there is a large muscle mass there to absorb the medication. It will be given in the upper outer quadrant of your buttock, so you wouldn't have to expose much of yourself.

5Foot5 Mon 17-Nov-14 13:33:39

It is unlikely to hurt - in fact it might be substantially less painful than an injection in the arm. When I was having IVF nearly 20 years ago, DH had to inject me in the buttock every day and most of the time I could hardly feel a thing. And he has no medical training whatsoever!

Legohair Mon 17-Nov-14 13:34:08

Cherries, I've had similar issues for similar reasons, unfortunately - we're not exactly a tiny minority, and I sympathise. It probably contributed to a longterm decision not to have children in my case, and I was very apprehensive when we eventually decided to try to have a child. My SILs gleefully told me labour horror stories about loss of dignity etc etc, but my experience was completely different. I explained to my excellent midwife what I was and wasn't comfortable with, why I wouldn't be having a sweep etc, and ended up, dignity and bodily boundaries entirely intact, with a calm, straightforward ELCS for medical reasons, no horrors and a gorgeous boy. Nothing about the birth was remotely traumatising.

I know this isn't what you asked, and you may genuinely not want to have a child anyway, but there are ways of dealing with your fears, working round them and making medical professionals aware of them, if you come to feel in future that you might like to consider having a child, but are afraid to because of fears of procedures or invasions. If this is something you definitely don't want, ignore me. I just felt I should say it. Best wishes, either way.

CherriesAndOtherStuff Mon 17-Nov-14 13:34:14

Why did you hate the implant?

It turned me into a moody cow and it gave me awful headaches. I was told that the headaches had nothing to do with it but they only started when I had it put in. Coincidently (or not) they also stopped as soon as I had it taken out.

Elvish Mon 17-Nov-14 13:42:19

I wouldn't have the injection then even if you wanted the convenience of not taking a pill every day - I'd guess you'd have much the same side effects as the implant.

Tell the HCP next time they ask that the hormone doesn't suit you and you'd rather stick on the combined pill - maybe ask for her to put a note on your file so they can stop asking you every time you go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now