Talk

Advanced search

To remove my 15 yo son's computer for an evening because he keeps leaving the front door open when he goes to school ?

(49 Posts)
jasper Mon 17-Nov-14 10:09:37

That's it really. He's of the smart but dizzy type. Often leaves front door open ( I mean actually ajar ) , lights on etc. I love him dearly but can't get through to him about simple stuff like this and I'm sick of the sound of my own voice. And no he's not on drugs or depressed or anything

TheAlias Mon 17-Nov-14 10:11:28

Are you still at home when he goes out, or is he actually leaving the house unsecure all day?

campingfilth Mon 17-Nov-14 10:12:15

I would make out that you've been burgled grin

AlpacaYourThings Mon 17-Nov-14 10:14:01

Yes, make out you have been burgled but they only stole his computer wink

ChippingInAutumnLover Mon 17-Nov-14 10:16:01

For the evening? I'd be removing it until he consistently and reliably locked the house up. Dizzy is forgetting your lunch, not walking out and leaving the front door open. If he really can't do this, then you need proper professional help for him.

Bramshott Mon 17-Nov-14 10:16:09

I think it's always better if the consequence is "natural" IYSWIM. So if the problem is that the house is unsecure because you've already left, the consequence is that he has to get up earlier and leave with you. If the problem is that the lights are on a using electricity, the consequence is that he has to give you eg. £1 for the electricity bill every time that happens. etc.

TheAlias Mon 17-Nov-14 10:20:05

Yes, I agree with Bramshott, so I would remove the computer for leaving the lights on - save computer electricity to pay for the lights, but leaving the door open would mean his key was removed and he'd have to come and go at times that suited those responsible enough to have a key.

If you're still home and it's just that he's not "remembering" to close the door behind him, I'd just get into the habit of going to the door with him to wave him off grin

ArcheryAnnie Mon 17-Nov-14 10:20:08

YANBU. It will get his attention, if nothing else. Only stipulation is that if you say you are going to do it, then do it, and don't cave halfway through the evening. If he claims he needs the computer for his homework, then insist he does it in the living room where you have a clear view of the screen.

GaryTheTankEngine Mon 17-Nov-14 10:28:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GaryTheTankEngine Mon 17-Nov-14 10:29:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sprink Mon 17-Nov-14 10:31:52

YANBU. He's putting the security of the home at greater risk. Not acceptable.

specialsubject Mon 17-Nov-14 10:34:28

he can't be trusted, and BTW if you do get burgled you'll be uninsured.

until he starts bothering, he will have to work round you so you can close up. So if that means leaving when you do and waiting outside school, so be it.

Ilovehamabeads Mon 17-Nov-14 10:37:15

DH does this all the time when he takes our dog out. Often I'm in the back of the house cooking tea so i won't notice for ages until i feel a random breeze. Its really frustrating- how hard is it to check a door is closed! This thread has given me a good idea though, I'm going to nip out and move his car round the corner next time smile

TheAlias Mon 17-Nov-14 10:38:31

That's not true about the insurance, special - not unless your policy specifically says so, which it will in certain very high risk areas but is not the norm.

jasper Mon 17-Nov-14 10:53:12

Thanks all very much. Today I was still in the house. Other times he is last to leave. I think he pulls the door behind him but not enough to make it "click" and then it just wafts open

itsaknockout Mon 17-Nov-14 11:33:50

I think if that is the worst of his vices , he is not too bad at all!

sashh Mon 17-Nov-14 11:45:12

Do it.

But also put a note on the door saying, 'lock the door and turn the lights out'.

And set an alarm on his phone to go off and tell him to lock the door and turn the lights off.

Get a door alarm
www.maplin.co.uk/p/door-alarm-vh88v - set when you leave, it will make a noise when he leaves and the only way to stop it is to shut the door properly. You might want to warn your neighbours first.

specialsubject Mon 17-Nov-14 12:17:09

hmm re insurance. My policy insists on locks on all windows and doors, to be used every time the place is unoccupied.

we live (touch wood) in a village where burglary is very low.

TheAlias Mon 17-Nov-14 12:19:23

I wouldn't have bought that policy - I hope it was very cheap!

It's not a reasonable condition to be uninsured because you forgot to lock a window IMO.

MokunMokun Mon 17-Nov-14 12:24:18

Put a sign up in the garden saying "Check the door you dozy git"?

My brother was like this. One day he woke up with a policeman standing at the end of the bed as he had left the door wide open all night.

Can you fix the door so it swings shut?

alemci Mon 17-Nov-14 12:34:35

my teenage dds used to do this occasionally and once the back door was left wide open - great.

Another time the front door wasn't locked when they came in and was ajar. Lucky we weren't burgled. I now double lock front door and my ds is very good about locking up.

He will have to leave with you as he cannot be trusted or have you got a neighbour who could double check?

championnibbler Mon 17-Nov-14 12:37:13

YANBU. Do it. He needs to learn.

janinlondon Mon 17-Nov-14 12:37:41

Total shameless diversion from topic: What insurance policy allows you to leave a house unlocked when you go out?????

atticusclaw Mon 17-Nov-14 12:38:37

Most insurance policies won't cover you if you leave a window unlocked and go out. They might not stress it up front but good luck trying to get them to cough up if you've left the burglar with an open route in.

I came on to say yes remove his computer but think the idea about linking the punishment to the crime is a good one and I'll be using it (although actually in this case there is a link and I'd be saying the computer was stolen.)

TheAlias Mon 17-Nov-14 12:45:17

Unless, your policy specifically insists that doors and windows must be locked, then you are still covered. It might be more difficult to claim and you might be suspected of an inside job but if you have a decent insurance record giving the companies no cause for concern then you absolutely are still covered.

Otherwise, it would be victim blaming?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now