Talk

Advanced search

To be very pissed that DH is (what I perceive to be) selfish re DC?

(100 Posts)
Scottishcrumpets Sun 16-Nov-14 23:06:34

There have been umpteen occasions where I feel like screaming at DH because it seems he doesn't have a clue regarding DC needs. (Nothing major, but just everyday stuff to make things a little difficult)
For example, today we drove for about an hour to a lovely little village to feed the ducks, have a chippy and let the kids choose a special ornament from the Xmas shop to put on the tree when it goes up. So DH went away get the fish suppers, came back without any napkins, knives, or wooden forks to enable the splitting up of the kids lunch. He just though they could split it up themselves with their fingers, but it was bloody boiling. I think I just saw him as a completely selfish cunt, as long as he's okay (and halfway through his lunch when I asked for all this) then he doesn't give a shit about anyone else. Am I just having a crap day and therefore being unreasonable?

FluffyMcnuffy Sun 16-Nov-14 23:08:17

I think YABU but I'm sensing there's a backstory to this?

Finola1step Sun 16-Nov-14 23:09:27

Yep, pretty thoughtless. But worthy of being referred to as a cunt? Not in my book.

Unless of course there is a back story.

Finola1step Sun 16-Nov-14 23:10:22

Great minds Fluffy

Bogeyface Sun 16-Nov-14 23:10:56

Was today the straw that broke the camels back?

Is there a common theme of "I'm alright Jack!" in his interactions in the family?

Bogeyface Sun 16-Nov-14 23:11:43

What was his reaction when you asked him why he hadnt bought the things that where needed?

Springcleanish Sun 16-Nov-14 23:14:37

Partly over reacting, but I do this all the time, my DH just never thinks beyond or around the job he is asked to do. He would have done exactly the same. Last Saturday morning I went out to meet a friend, hadn't been out for months literally. Come back to find the kids didn't have lunch till gone 3.30, coz he was on the PC and wasn't hungry. Then he went out and bought them sausage rolls because he couldn't find anything to eat. We had a fridge with ham, cheese, bread, salad in, but because I hadn't told him to make a specific meal, he couldn't think for himself.
Just realised, my rant is as big as yours, so no YANBU, he should think ahead and not expect all the brain work to fall to you.

Iggi999 Sun 16-Nov-14 23:15:11

Hmm. I notice in restaurants my dh will have a cursory look at the menu, see what he wants, then put the menu down, job down.
While I hunt through the options to find food that the two dcs might possible eat, before looking for something for myself.
It is selfish to just put your own needs first.

Iggi999 Sun 16-Nov-14 23:16:33

Job done, even.
And every time, I ask him what the dcs are going to have, at which point he makes a belated effort to pick the meme back up again...

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Sun 16-Nov-14 23:16:44

Seems a bit of a dozy thing to do but not necessitating calling him a selfish cunt really.

QTPie Sun 16-Nov-14 23:19:34

Iggi, agree with you completely (DH is the same), but we will probably get a good few descend upon us to say "leave the b*st*rd, he is selfish and not a modern man. You are letting womankind down by being with such a l**s*r"...

SEH23 Sun 16-Nov-14 23:22:11

i do know what you mean, my DH is the same.. i always wonder what goes on in his brain. does he think? do men think? about anyone but themselves their dicks and their stomachs?

i do agree though, cunts very strong. nowadays i just bite my tongue and thank my lucky stars im not a lazy bitch as well wink LOL

geezerhere Sun 16-Nov-14 23:22:45

Why had not you packed baby wipes? Such essentials should be pre packed.....

Preciousbane Sun 16-Nov-14 23:27:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoughnutSelfie Sun 16-Nov-14 23:31:39

Why should OP automatically be the default babywipe packer, geezer?

Scottish, this in isolation ain't a huge deal, but it does seem as if general thoughtlessness emanates from your husband.

What to do? I don't know really.

ThatBloodyWoman Sun 16-Nov-14 23:32:48

Right,he's not perfect,clearly.
Are any of us?

NeedsAsockamnesty Sun 16-Nov-14 23:36:44

Why had not you packed baby wipes? Such essentials should be pre packed

Perhaps she thought the other parent had, what with him being a fully engaged equal parent

500Decibels Sun 16-Nov-14 23:41:01

If your dh isn't used to looking after the kids or thinking of them because you do it all the time, then you really need to talk to him and work with him to get him to change.

My dh was like this because I happily did everything. When it came to leaving the kids with him, I had to give him very specific instructions and even wrote them down. He followed them and got to know the dcs routine so I didn't have to do that anymore.

Would that approach work with your dh?

Jolleigh Sun 16-Nov-14 23:41:44

YABU. Any of us could easily have made this oversight and if we came on here saying our DPs had called us cunt over it, they'd be digitally hung, drawn and quartered.

500Decibels Sun 16-Nov-14 23:44:48

Sorry I thought the op had posted about the leaving the kids and late lunch. Just realised it was a different poster.

3boys40 Mon 17-Nov-14 00:03:17

my dh does stuff like this. we have 3 kids and i asked him to get some cookies. He came back with 3 only he will eat and 3 for me and our 3dc. Did the same with pizza on pizza night.

Scottishcrumpets Mon 17-Nov-14 07:06:17

Sorry, posted and promptly fell asleep. Okay, possibly my language was a tad strong toward DH, I was just irritated. (I didn't call him this at the time, I was just expressing my frustration on here)
I think I felt it's just second nature to me to think ahead to everything the kids need (i did have wipes in my bag, that's not the point) even when the DC were little and DH had been getting them ready to leave the house he'd announce 'they're ready!' I'd have to ask if they had their nappies changed, had he packed water, did he actually have the changing bag, and 90% of the time the answer was eh.. no! They usually had their coats and shoes on. Bit ranty again but why should I be the only one to look ahead and see what the DC might need!!??

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 17-Nov-14 07:11:09

I've felt this before a lot and it seems to happy with food being involved. Yest for example we were running late getting back to do dd her dinner. So when we get in Im boiling water and shoving her some pasta on quickly. Oh goes into kitchen while I'm changing her and makes himself a sandwich to. Eat comes into the room we're in and eats it in front of her. So she's running over to eat that too while he dinner is still cooking?!
He couldn't see what was wrong with that

icklekid Mon 17-Nov-14 07:14:24

Annoying yes, end of the world no.
my dh for the second time forgot the car seat adaptors for the buggy so I ended up carrying ds. The conversation went I will sort ds can you sort the buggy. Should I learn to remind him? Probably for an easy life but then he may never learn wink. Should he have carried ds? Yes! But never mind life goes on

Only1scoop Mon 17-Nov-14 07:19:17

Things like this annoy me but as you admit 'c' a little strong. Sounds like you were already annoyed with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now