Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be worried about the next recession.

(12 Posts)
DollyBell Sun 16-Nov-14 22:12:01

Following DC's warning today? We were badly stung in the last one, and just as things are looking a bit brighter, I am worried we'll be hit with more job loss, etc. etc.

Anyone else out there worried?

SmilesandPilesOfPresents Sun 16-Nov-14 22:19:12

I still don't believe we're out of the last one yet, never mind another one looming and things are going to get a lot worse yet. This is a bit of breather if anything.

The only thing you can do is ride the storm as best you can, try and keep trying to save up as much as you can because that's all it boils down to really.

WetAugust Sun 16-Nov-14 23:24:32

I agree with Smiles. No real signs of recovery here.

But I also think Cameron wants us to be afraid as, faced with uncertainty, he hopes we will be more likely to vote girl him.

Wrong,

WetAugust Sun 16-Nov-14 23:24:32

I agree with Smiles. No real signs of recovery here.

But I also think Cameron wants us to be afraid as, faced with uncertainty, he hopes we will be more likely to vote girl him.

Wrong,

Catsize Sun 16-Nov-14 23:34:16

More worried about the Next sale.

ThatBloodyWoman Sun 16-Nov-14 23:40:40

My philosophy is to downsize my expectations and needs,and adopt a simpler lifestyle,so it doesn't sting so much.
Once you're tied into a world of consumerism,and believing the messages that we need such and such to get by,breaking free is hard.
I think its the tefal advert that says about a rice cooker (or some such thing) that you'll wonder how you lived without one.....crazy talk!
I do worry still of course,but it does put it partially into perspective!

WetAugust Mon 17-Nov-14 00:37:33

yes, I think many of us are guilty of over consumption, I know I am. But recently I have cut my expenditure down drastically, cancelled Sky, cut food bills, bought virtually no new clothes this year, walked rather than drove to the shops.
It's surprising how much you can save, but it visits more in time.

ChippingInAutumnLover Mon 17-Nov-14 00:42:19

I missed what was said today. What was said and why on a Sunday?

Suzannewithaplan Mon 17-Nov-14 01:23:06

fearful people are more obedient, less likley to question authority, easier to control

SmilesandPilesOfPresents Mon 17-Nov-14 07:33:02

why on a Sunday?

The same reason why most big annoucements are made on other big news days...

less likely to be noticed. All the big annoucements over the past few years have ALWAYS been shadowed by something else, even rises in energy bills are either printed as a very short statement hidden amongst "bigger" stories.

That way when "we" don't notice them and then an almighty stink kicks up they can say plenty of notice has been given and it too late to do anything about it (not that they would anyway)

Live to your means is the only way you'll survive these economic peaks and troughs in life. My grandparents and parents DRILLED it into me that the only debt you should have is a mortgage and you need to get rid of that as quick as possible..they were right. Never a borrower or lender be has never been truer than over the past few years.

WetAugust Mon 17-Nov-14 11:44:53

The Govt never forecast the last collapse so they are making sure that, this time, we get plenty of warning.

interest rates will go back up one day and that will hit homeowners and businesses very badly. repossessions and job losses will be likely in the downturn.

Also,mother Eurozone is heading towards another recession. When that happens it will reduce how much we can export to the Eurozone as they will not have the money to buy our stuff. That will lead to job losses, which could lead to repossessions etc.

We could give ourselves a better change by unshackling ourselves to the dead corpse of the EU and start trading fully with emerging markets in the Pacific, I media, South America etc . But we are too wrapped up in propping up Europe, which will take us down when their Eurozone market collapses.

Suzannewithaplan Mon 17-Nov-14 12:08:15

Predictions are notoriously inaccurate, especially ones about the future, the government 'never' predicted the last collapse because, in common with everyone else-experts included, they are not gifted with second sight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now