Talk

Advanced search

Would you be annoyed If your pil did this?

(96 Posts)
susannahmoodie Sun 16-Nov-14 20:17:54

Pil babysat for us on Friday night. They have had 3yo ds overnight at their house before but his was the first time they have babysat our 2 dcs at our house (also have ds2, 14mo).

We provided gem with dinner and a bottle of white wine. We got in at 11pm and fil had drunk a bottle of red wine and was asleep in the sofa. Mil was slurring her words when he spoke to us and had had 2 bottles of white, and was opening another one as we got in. (They were staying overnight as they live about 50mins away, we live in the city and they were shopping there the following morning) They must have brought the extra wine themselves as we don't have it in usually. I'm a total
lightweight nowadays and a glass is about my limit as I can't afford to feel it the next day with a ft job and 2 little ones, but I was shocked at the amount they had put back. Luckily neither of our dcs had stirred but if there had been any issues they would have been in no fit state to cope with them.

This isn't right, is it?

susannahmoodie Sun 16-Nov-14 20:18:26

Sound drunk myself with all the typos, sorry!!

yes. I would be annoyed.

TittyBojangles Sun 16-Nov-14 20:20:07

No it's not right and yes I'd be annoyed. I think your dh needs to speak to them or else just don't have them babysit again.

LadyLuck10 Sun 16-Nov-14 20:20:32

Yanbu, they did act irresponsibly given they were there to take care of their gc. What did they have to say about it?

LapsedTwentysomething Sun 16-Nov-14 20:20:33

YANBU. I have no problem with a moderate amount if booze, but even if they were alert enough to notice that one of your DCs wasn't ok, they'd surely be too pissed to do anything about it.

Shakirasma Sun 16-Nov-14 20:20:47

Your babysitters got totally pissed on the job??? I would be livid and they would never babysit for me again.

I'd be livid. If someone agrees to babysit for me they agree to look after my child. To do this they need to be in a fit state to make decisions and, ideally, to be able to drive in an emergency. Sounds like your pil weren't.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 16-Nov-14 20:21:28

I wouldn't bother being annoyed now, frankly if you have to spell out that your tiny children aren't safe with 2 pissheads then the conversation isn't going to go well.

I would just never let them babysit ever.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 16-Nov-14 20:21:36

Yes I would be very annoyed - little point in having it out with them, just avoid using them as baby sitters in future.

CatHackney Sun 16-Nov-14 20:22:19

I'd be more than annoyed. Your post says it all - what's the point of having people there to look after your children if they're in no fit state to do so?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 16-Nov-14 20:22:58

I would be furious. Staying up for a drink after youd got home is another thing but to get rat arsed when in charge is not on.

pauline6703 Sun 16-Nov-14 20:23:01

Were they so pissed that they could not phone your mobile or call 999? If so YARBU.
If one of them was able to call for help in an emergency then what is the problem?

ILovePud Sun 16-Nov-14 20:23:18

Heck no, that is a lot to drink and completely inappropriate when you're looking after young children, I wouldn't be leaving my children with them in these circumstances again.

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Sun 16-Nov-14 20:23:36

I wouldn't be happy to come home and find them pissed and they wouldn't babysit again.

Shakirasma Sun 16-Nov-14 20:24:09

What did your DH say to them?

Bowlersarm Sun 16-Nov-14 20:24:26

3 bottles between them and starting a fourth? That's a lot. I wouldn't be happy with that amount being drunk whilst in charge of small DC.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 16-Nov-14 20:24:30

More importantly, what does your partner think - if you don't know ask him NOW.

The most important thing is to make sure you and your partner are on the same page, otherwise all sorts of pointless side arguments can spring up the next time there is a friendly babysitting offer!

Floggingmolly Sun 16-Nov-14 20:25:07

I'd be incandescent if I'd left two toddlers in the care of a pair of idiots like that.
She was opening her third bottle, while he'd already passed out?????

Jolleigh Sun 16-Nov-14 20:26:02

I'd be livid. But they shouldn't need spelling out to them not to be wasted while in charge of children so having a go word with them won't work. Your OH is probably better suited to do that anyway.

Definitely don't have them babysit again.

OhTheDrama Sun 16-Nov-14 20:26:25

No it's not right at all, if your DC's had woken up unwell it doesn't sound like they would have had the wits about them to deal with it. That would really worry me, I doubt I would confront them about it as its's done now but they would never have my children alone again. If they then brought it up and asked why I would tell them.

ILovePud Sun 16-Nov-14 20:26:29

Seriously Pauline6703 being alert and coherent enough to phone for help is your sole criteria as to whether someone is fit to look after children?

polkadotdelight Sun 16-Nov-14 20:26:35

I would be annoyed. DH is teetotal so I can have a glass of wine at home but if he is out I don't touch a drop just in case I need to drive to A&E with DS for any reason.

LemonBreeland Sun 16-Nov-14 20:27:06

I would be very annoyed. They would not be babysitting again for me.

elQuintoConyo Sun 16-Nov-14 20:27:51

Dickheads.

That is all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now