Talk

Advanced search

I'm beginning to suspect that rather a lot of everyday folk who drink alcohol, would actually like to drink less?

(77 Posts)
Honeydragon Sun 16-Nov-14 19:04:27

I don't drink now, not a drop for just about six years now. Without fail whenever I go on a night out in pubs or bars I do get asked about not drinking. Often, people ask what I do drink etc etc (after demanding to know WHY I don't drink). Nearly every time people say "I'd like to cut down" or "I need to drink less or have a break from drinking).

Let me straight, these conversations as a non drinker don't bother me at all. I'm not a sanctimonious git, I am just a woman who is tee total, and that's it.

But I am surprised in the level of interest people have in being booze free as a life choice, I'm quite interesting and nice (honest I'm not a boring fatty pants) so it's not like the only conversation we can have.

Anyway, in RL it's not like you can go up to people and go, "hello, are you happy with the amount you drink?"

So I'm asking you lot instead? grin

AIBU to suspect that a sizeable amount of "average" consumers of alcohol would like to drink less?

skylark2 Sun 16-Nov-14 19:06:48

I think they're empathising rather than having any particular interest - unless they are alcoholic, if they wanted to drink less they'd do it.

flipchart Sun 16-Nov-14 19:07:24

No I don't want to drink any less.

Last time I had a drink was 3 weeks go on holiday.

I don't drink at home. I've been to two gigs this weekend and didn't drink alcohol.

I like to have a drink occasionally with a meal and if I go out with friends.

I don't feel like I have to cut down tbh.

AyeWhySWIM Sun 16-Nov-14 19:09:49

I have 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks on about 3 days of the week. Maybe 4. I'm happy with that, I enjoy it. From the conversations I've had with friends (early to mid-30's) people seem to drink a similar amount and I haven't heard any expressions of a desire to cut back. Each to their own. It doesn't interest me much what other folk choose to consume.

Whatisysystemidfor Sun 16-Nov-14 19:10:31

I think they're empathising rather than truly wanting to drink less. Validating your choice rather than expressing a wish to change their habits.

Personally, I'm comfortable with the amount I drink. I'm glad your choice works for you though. smile

Honeydragon Sun 16-Nov-14 19:14:27

Skylark, that's how I feel ..... But it's the waffling on quite intensely whilst I nod a bit, that's got me wondering if I'm missing something now?

Perhaps aliens sending subliminal health messages to people? confused

StickEm Sun 16-Nov-14 19:16:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mandatorymongoose Sun 16-Nov-14 19:18:00

I would like to have drunk less last night too old for partying

Other than that I'm happy with my alcohol use. I don't drink much though, probably less than 5/6 times a year and very very rarely more than a couple of drinks.

AnnieEdison Sun 16-Nov-14 19:19:02

I wish I could stop and enjoy a healthier relationship with alcohol. I drink as much as a lot of people I know but am just not happy with that amount.

Mintyy Sun 16-Nov-14 19:20:11

Yes, I'd like to drink less. I am working towards teetotalism but not quite there yet!

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 16-Nov-14 19:20:33

I don't want to drink less. I have 1 or 2 drinks if it's not a school night (teacher, not pupil). I will have more at Christmas, and probably not drink at all during January (for financial reasons mostly!).

I suspect people just find it unusual to meet someone who doesn't drink and therefore feel a need to comment. It's like quizzing a vegetarian as to why they don't eat meat.

ArgyMargy Sun 16-Nov-14 19:20:54

I drink far more than the recommended limits but I'm happy with it. I have an extended break every year (Lent = 6.5 weeks) and never struggle with it so am happy that I'm not "addicted". I think people get far too hung up about this.

Mintyy Sun 16-Nov-14 19:21:14

I have an awful lot of friends of my age who I think drink way way way too much as well.

SocialMediaAddict Sun 16-Nov-14 19:22:08

I'm gagging for a glass of wine but my DH is an alcoholic who's in recovery so our house is dry for the foreseeable future.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 16-Nov-14 19:24:27

I'd drink a lot more if it wasn't for the hangovers after 2 glasses

I hate being over 40 and bloody love wine

Honeydragon Sun 16-Nov-14 19:24:38

StickEm, I think the problem with that is

A) the NhS are always wanting to change the guidelines grin

And

B) silly persons like Jeremy Clarkson go on in the Daily Mail about how a bottle of wine a night is fine if you drink it on your own sofa in front of the telly. It's the other drinking that's bad. [insert compulsory picture of woman passed out in mini skirt by fountain here]

bodhranbae Sun 16-Nov-14 19:25:32

I am surrounded by friends and family who are heavily alcohol dependent but because they are posh and professional and drink expensive wines and spirits and all their chummies do too they don't think they have a problem.

Alcohol is classified as a Group 1 carcinogen in humans - up there with asbestos and tobacco.
Cheers! grin

endoftether12 Sun 16-Nov-14 19:26:49

I definitely agree. I only drink once a week but when I do, I binge drink. And by that I mean 20 units or so. I have injured myself, been assaulted, embarrassed myself etc. I would love to be able to just have a couple but I can't seem to stop when I start. When I try cut back my friends try pursuade me to drink more. Maybe because I am relatively young it is seen as normal. I think the only way for me to cut back is to go T total.

StickEm Sun 16-Nov-14 19:27:20

CarcerDun Sun 16-Nov-14 19:27:42

I would ideally like to drink less, but then I'd probably like to eat less, clean more, laze about less, phone my mum more...

StickEm Sun 16-Nov-14 19:29:07

AhhhhhhryaOfGhostHouseSnark Sun 16-Nov-14 19:29:34

No, I'm quite happy with the amount I drink.
I shared a bottle of wine with dp last night, I don't know when I'll have another drink, maybe next weekend, or the weekend after. I occasionally have a glass of wine or gin in the week.
I occasionally get pissed, but mostly I just enjoy a glass of wine or 2.

StickEm Sun 16-Nov-14 19:30:20

SASASI Sun 16-Nov-14 19:30:22

I'm breastfeeding & know I could take a drink but I just choose not to.

I was so horrendously sick in pregnancy that I can't imagine ever getting drunk again! A glass of wine or a cider when I give up breastfeeding maybe but I really can't see me downing a bottle of wine on a sat night again.

I'm quite happy this way & don't miss drink at all. I can see why being teetotal is appealing but I wouldn't have done it had I not had a health reason to do so.....I did have 6 gin & tonics the night before I got my bfp !!

Bowlersarm Sun 16-Nov-14 19:31:12

I think I am one of a group of higher consumers of alcohol in our social group - of our female friends anyway. I do use measures to keep in check how much I drink. I don't know anyone in RL who worries about how much they drink (or will admit to it anyway). I find it interesting when I have periods of non drinking I notice how many of our friends and acquaintances actually drink very little.

I have to say that the recent thread about what people do when they are drunk had me like this shock with my eyes on stalks at the stories. I possibly slur a bit occasionally when I've had a few glasses of wine, but that's always been the extent of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now