Talk

Advanced search

Reporting a shop

(13 Posts)
ApocalypseThen Sun 16-Nov-14 18:14:39

I was in a news agents on Friday. A boy of 14, possibly 15 came in wearing his school uniform. They sold him cigarettes without blinking.

A big part of me wants to report the shop. Would this be unreasonable?

CMOTDibbler Sun 16-Nov-14 18:17:48

Absolutely not - call your local trading standards

Wishtoremainunknown Sun 16-Nov-14 18:18:22

Is it a school with a 6th form ?

Wishtoremainunknown Sun 16-Nov-14 18:19:22

I know you said he looked young but then I did and I used to buy cigs in my uniform. They knew me so didn't ID after the first 10 times or so.

Still if you are worried go ahead.

JulietBravoJuliet Sun 16-Nov-14 18:21:31

I was about to say the same - if it's a school with a 6th form, there's every chance the lad was a young looking 18 and known to the shopkeeper. I regularly serve cigarettes to a young lad at work, who looks about 12, but I've seen his driving licence and know his mum and he's actually 19, but I would imagine anyone seeing me serve him without asking for ID would be a bit shock

ApocalypseThen Sun 16-Nov-14 18:21:39

Well I don't know what kind of a school it was, but it was in the city centre, so I'd say it was unlikely they would know him by sight. They certainly didn't question him or pass any remark that suggested they had seen him before.

ClumsyParents Sun 16-Nov-14 19:21:59

If you report the shop then they wouldn't prosecute on your say so but would set up a sting where they send someone in who is underage to see if they are served.

I would report

Shockers Sun 16-Nov-14 20:16:29

I would too.

JennyBlueWren Sun 16-Nov-14 21:12:58

Report it. You have to be 18 to buy cigarettes so unlikely to be a legal aged schoolboy.

It annoys me a lot as I get IDd all the time in Tesco -most recently for sparklers- and I'm 30!

NeedABumChangeNotANameChange Sun 16-Nov-14 21:21:09

You don't wear uniform in sixth form though and you have to be 18 to buy fags, defo report!

EustaciaBenson Sun 16-Nov-14 21:28:41

Needa you do wear uniform in some sixth forms

Doilooklikeatourist Sun 16-Nov-14 21:48:03

6th formers wear uniform here
Report to trading standards

handcream Sun 16-Nov-14 21:54:32

I reported a nail bar that was staffed by people from Vietnam, only one member of staff could speak English and they gave me an ordinary varnish as opposed to gel, I kept saying are you sure this is gel.... They took cash only and when another customer asked them who owned the shop itself they didn't know.

There were two kids playing in the back room and I called
trading standards. They didn't seem at all interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now