Talk

Advanced search

To ask for delivery cost to be refunded *title edited by MNHQ at OP's request*

(114 Posts)
Elfina Sun 16-Nov-14 13:43:19

My Waitrose delivery is 2.5 hours late. The did call to tell me a couple of hours before it was due, but also said that it might be on time as they were planning on coming straight to me. This meant that I couldn't go out before it was due, our lunch was in the order, not the end of the world, but running low. The most annoying thing is that I now have a cranky toddler as I don't want to try and put her down for a nap because they could rock up at any time.

Basically, my Sunday has been a bit screwed, and following the initial call, I've had to chase them to find out what's happening.

Should I ask for a voucher, do you think, or AIBU?!

Altinkum Sun 16-Nov-14 13:47:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shakey1500 Sun 16-Nov-14 13:49:28

I also think YABU. I'd still put toddler down for nap though, why not? In case they ring bell or something? confused

LIZS Sun 16-Nov-14 13:49:47

why can't you let your toddler nap ? confused There could be all sorts of reasons for the delay and at least they did call

ghostyslovesheep Sun 16-Nov-14 13:52:18

have called them back and asked for an estimated time - if they said they would be with you first and 2.5 hours later you are waiting ...

it's not unreasonable to want a delivery on time but you could have given them a new time and gone out/put your child down for a nap

it would be a nice gesture on their part but yabu to expect it

NaiceNickname Sun 16-Nov-14 13:53:26

hmm Compensation for them running a couple of hours late with your shopping? It's not the end of the world, is it? Cannot stand this compo culture we live in.

LuckyLopez Sun 16-Nov-14 13:56:36

Not understanding why toddler can't nap?!

Siarie Sun 16-Nov-14 13:56:36

Call them and just explain that it's been disappointing. Ask them for a reason, they should be able to explain why. They will probably offer you something, we do this whenever Tesco leave us waiting.

insancerre Sun 16-Nov-14 13:57:09

Yabu
There is no reason why you couldn't put your toddler down for a nap

frignorant Sun 16-Nov-14 14:01:00

I would expect a gesture of some sorts for the delay. If they've indicated some sort of time then they should stick to it.

ilovesooty Sun 16-Nov-14 14:02:49

Compensation? Some people are on the make all the time these days.

waithorse Sun 16-Nov-14 14:03:06

YABU.

MassaAttack Sun 16-Nov-14 14:04:33

They'll offer something; no need to go in all guns blazing or overstating the inconvenience. Waitrose are nice like that.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Sun 16-Nov-14 14:04:41

shock YABU. No.

pissedglitter Sun 16-Nov-14 14:07:18

This has got to be a wind up

coolaschmoola Sun 16-Nov-14 14:07:56

I'm going to go against the consensus and say YANBU.

They aren't a mate dropping something off as a favour that you should be grateful for.

You have PAID to have your shopping delivered at a time that works for you. That is the service they offer and charge you for. They haven't provided the FULL service (delivery at a specified time) so I would be asking for my delivery charge to be refunded.

I wouldn't expect to pay in full for 50% of any other service, and I don't understand why people think this is different?

They took payment to fulfil a two part contract, to deliver your shopping and to do so at a specific time. They haven't done both so why should you pay for the part of the service you have not received?

Camolips Sun 16-Nov-14 14:08:59

grin At toddler not able to nap! You'll be telling us next you've not been able to have a wee as well! wink

TidyDancer Sun 16-Nov-14 14:09:27

I know it's annoying, but I would be embarrassed to ask for compensation tbh. If you paid for delivery you should get that cost refunded anyway but I wouldn't ask for anything else.

MassaAttack Sun 16-Nov-14 14:13:52

People have some very low expectations confused

Icimoi Sun 16-Nov-14 14:14:04

I'm bemused by people who claim to hate the compensation culture. In this situation, if the Waitrose person included a voucher in the delivery, would you virtuously return it or refuse to use it? If your child received life-changing injuries due to someone else's negligence, would you refuse to claim damages from that person's insurance because it would be supporting the compensation culture?

Altinkum Sun 16-Nov-14 14:18:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Sun 16-Nov-14 14:21:12

Being offered a voucher by way of an apology and to maintain custom is different to demanding compensation.

carlsonrichards Sun 16-Nov-14 14:21:14

FFS. Get a fucking life.

Elfina Sun 16-Nov-14 14:21:17

Can't put her down for a nap because she takes about 45 mins to get to sleep, and if I move, we have to start all over again.

I think compensation was the wrong word. I mean a voucher to refund delivery. I feel annoyed that we've been in all day, and they're still not here. Like someone said further up the thread, I have paid for a service, and I don't think I've really got that.

carlsonrichards Sun 16-Nov-14 14:22:58

Jesus wept.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now