Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Programme - it was alright in the 70's FUCKING HELL!

(140 Posts)
PatButchersLostEaring Sat 15-Nov-14 21:25:37

Anyone else watching this and feeling utterly shocked that it was only 40ish years ago?

lilyloo Sat 15-Nov-14 21:28:48

We let the dc 9 / 12 stay up a little later on a Sat night.
Had to turn it over , can't believe some of this was pre watershed �� (cringe)

SirChenjin Sat 15-Nov-14 21:29:21

No, not watching it. I remember 70s TV only too well - it really was a very different time. So saying, I'm not sure that we've progressed in real terms when you consider that the objectification and sexualisation of women is still very much with us - Kim Kardashian's arse, for example, has been one of the biggest (non) news stories of the week hmm

losthermind Sat 15-Nov-14 21:29:40

Just started watching on record
I'm literally 5 mins in and in shock
Autumn watch on ITV Jesus wept

PatButchersLostEaring Sat 15-Nov-14 21:30:17

I know, the bendy hill stuff was truly depressing and kind of dark (but not humorous).

PatButchersLostEaring Sat 15-Nov-14 21:30:54

BENNY! Gah!

PatButchersLostEaring Sat 15-Nov-14 21:33:01

SIR I know what you mean. It's very easy for me to judge as born in the early 80s and not feel its applicable to me but yy, the internet is just as popular as TV was in 70s and a lot worse can be deemed acceptable online.

AuntieStella Sat 15-Nov-14 21:34:41

I've only just turned over.

It's moved on to smoking now.

ShelaghTurner Sat 15-Nov-14 21:36:19

It's not even the Benny Hill pathetic chasing stuff. Casual references to rape chucked into sitcoms. Appalling.

EachandEveryone Sat 15-Nov-14 21:36:46

I'm just about to watch on catch up. It was my childhood.

Waswondering Sat 15-Nov-14 21:36:56

Yes. Dh and I have been quite surprised!

ouryve Sat 15-Nov-14 21:39:00

I'll have to watch this on 4+1. I suspect it's pretty toe-curling stuff.

Thebodynowchillingsothere Sat 15-Nov-14 21:39:22

Our childhood and teenage years.

Me and dh born 64/63.

It is literally like another world now.

Unless you were there you have no idea.

AuntieStella Sat 15-Nov-14 21:40:56

Windy Miller and the cider shock looked like parody, but it seems it really went out to children like that!

foslady Sat 15-Nov-14 21:41:10

I was a child in the 70's......I remember some of this, and all it really did for me was put me off smoking and made me realise how growing up as a woman mean I would be 2nd class to men.....

Thank God we stood up to this crap.

Also makes you realise how adults got away with child abuse for so long if all this was shown as normality on the TV....

Fiddlerontheroof Sat 15-Nov-14 21:41:19

At the time, it was unnoticeable. Carry on films for example, they were very innocent to us, and a bit of fun....I cringe now, and couldn't even let my kids watch them, where I was allowed to watch them all the time. A very different era. We were trying to work out what it is that has changed out perceptions of it so much, when in fact we are able to see far more, and know far more about sex etc on today's TV

alemci Sat 15-Nov-14 21:47:12

not watching but recording. tbh as a child the Carry on innuendos went over my head.

ArchangelGallic Sat 15-Nov-14 21:57:31

Using paedophilia as comedy is just hideous.

BestIsWest Sat 15-Nov-14 22:00:51

I must watch this, where is it on? Born 63 so this is my childhood/ teenage years, I do remember some things that would be totally shocking now.

SirChenjin Sat 15-Nov-14 22:01:39

It is - but it's still used in 'comedy' today.

AuntieStella Sat 15-Nov-14 22:04:45

I missed the bit about paedophilia.

But did see the long segment about older men leching after (post-pubescent) schoolgirls. The bra-less granddaughter sketch was the example I thought the worst.

(there's a part two next week)

ContentedSidewinder Sat 15-Nov-14 22:06:10

I was only just talking to Dh about this the other day especially about 'Allo 'Allo where Renee was always deceiving his wife about his affair with the waitress. The constant "you stupid woman" shocking looking back.

And Helga undressing down to her stockings and suspenders to put on a leather or pvc black wedding dress.

I was born in the 70's and remember back to tv being shocking with regard to women, anyone who wasn't white and also the treatment of gay people.

ArchangelGallic Sat 15-Nov-14 22:06:26

Leching after schoolgirls is paedophilia - might not be any sex involved but the desire is there.

It's on again next Saturday, channel 5.

BikketBikketBikket Sat 15-Nov-14 22:07:27

Welcome to my DC's youth - and if you think that's bad, you should have been around in the 1950s and early 60s when I was a teenager (old gimmer) grin

WhereYouLeftIt Sat 15-Nov-14 22:20:19

I bribed insisted DS, 16, sit and watch it with us, to get a view of our childhood. Somewhere in the middle I turned to him and asked, 'Do you understand now why your mother is a card-carrying feminist?'. He nodded - think he was a bit in shock (especially at the granddad <boak>).

I was a bit disappointed though that although they were pointing out the behaviour of the men, the depiction of the women wasn't really explored. The casual sexism of the men was accurately portrayed, but, for example, the idea that the girls at the school would be gagging for the young doctor is an old perv's fantasy rather than realistic. I really felt that they should have been pointing that out just as explicitly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now