Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not want to go to Christmas work enforced fun

(80 Posts)
honeyistoosweet Sat 15-Nov-14 20:25:34

This year my office has decided on a daytime Christmas party.

My department has decided to host our annual Christmas lunch the same day. So from 12-1pm on said day our team are heading out for a three course meal to then return to join the rest of the office for the rest of afternoon in the conference room for the 'party' until 5.30 home time.

Normally, after the department meal we would be allowed a half day and to head off home.

The office party is no alcohol and from what I understand is just food.

Im irritated that it feels like food food food all day long and I'm overly sensitive to this as I have an eating problem and will really really struggle with the day as is. And secondly, surely we we should be able to choose whether we attend the Christmas do? Or is that not how it goes?

On writing this I think it's probably just my food issues clouding my judgement but I feel it's a bit silly going for a full on meal to then go back for another party spread.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 15-Nov-14 20:27:51

If you're having a 3 course meal from 1pm it'll probably stretch out a few hours. Just have a few drinks and make your excuses after the meal.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Sat 15-Nov-14 20:28:07

What a shame that you'll be having this horrible cold on the day of your Christmas parties sad

JuniperTisane Sat 15-Nov-14 20:29:30

How the hell are you expected to eat 3 courses between 12 and 1pm? confused

rookiemater Sat 15-Nov-14 20:33:56

Sounds a bit weird tbh. If your lunch out is at 12 and it's 3 courses with a bit of alchohol then you're unlikely to be back to the office much before 4.

I wouldn't be eating anything at that point either and I am fairly greedy and have no food issues. it's disappointing that you lose out on a a couple of hours off, but as your time is paid for, you just need to go along and see what it's all about.

I have to say I much prefer office dos to be at lunchtime, means I go along, get merry and then head home by 7 with no hangover the next day. I'm too old to be trying to get taxis at midnight or hang out in crowded pubs.

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Nov-14 20:36:30

Exactly what rookie said. My work do a Xmas lunch and I love it. Great meal, plenty booze, bit of silly behaviour and then home on public transport and tucked up with a cuppa by 9pm. Lush.

manchestermummy Sat 15-Nov-14 20:42:56

YANBU. I avoid office dos every year and this year will be no exception. I hate forced jollity am I not exactly feeling the love from some colleagues at the minute. Besides which, I am not particularly local, public transport is tricky so it's forced sober jollity at that.

It will be a dc's nativity that day. I can say with certainty.

ILovePud Sat 15-Nov-14 20:51:29

My sociopathic blunt colleague said she wouldn't come to our work's Christmas do this year because and I quote "it's just the same bunch of cunts I have to put up with all year except with silly hats on". shock

honeyistoosweet Sat 15-Nov-14 20:51:46

It is a tad stupid. All I know is, we've been told we HAVE to be back by 1pm as that's what time the 'lunch' office shindig begins. So maybe three courses might just be one... (phew!)

Pensionerpeep Sat 15-Nov-14 20:56:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyLuck10 Sat 15-Nov-14 21:00:23

So just go and don't eat anything if you don't want to. They are hardly going to force feed you. Nothing to be so in a dilemma over.

ovaryhill Sat 15-Nov-14 21:00:44

Ilovepud, I love your colleague! That made me laugh

LaurieFairyCake Sat 15-Nov-14 21:02:57

But you're getting paid to be at work?

And this 'work' day consists of scoffing and chatting hmm

Is there no God ?!? grin

ilovesooty Sat 15-Nov-14 21:05:24

If you're getting paid for the time you spend it as the company tell you to.
If you don't want to go book a day of annual leave.

AlpacaPicnic Sat 15-Nov-14 21:05:59

You need to employ the old 'jacket in the back of the chair' trick... Make sure it's a jacket you don't mind losing, just in case.

Or (option B) Take a good book and hide away, occasionally walking with purpose through the room to the loos or vice versa.

People will assume you are there but somewhere else, in a different room.

MsBug Sat 15-Nov-14 21:06:33

I would spend the hour drinking solidly - it will make the afternoon party seem so much more entertaining wink

Ilovepud I think I'm in love with your colleague

JuniperTisane Sat 15-Nov-14 21:08:45

I would be drunk in the corner with MsBug.

Also, I would eat very slowly and perhaps only finish my starter by 1pm, thereby leaving room for party food.

honeyistoosweet Sat 15-Nov-14 21:09:56

Yes I am being paid to be there. I understand this point of view entirely. It's just I have anorexia and the thought of this day is giving me crippling anxiety! I am not allowed to take annual leave on party day unfortunately. I will get through it - I just think it's stupid having a meal and then a lunch party.

honeyistoosweet Sat 15-Nov-14 21:10:57

I like the last few suggestions greatly wink

Silverdaisy Sat 15-Nov-14 21:12:06

Lucky you, I'd love to have this afternoon. I always go to work evenings and enjoy them (but would rather stay at home). - added to that i am invited to partners christmas do also.

ILovePud Sat 15-Nov-14 21:13:43

Sorry just realised half my post vanished, I meant to say you could take a leaf out of my colleague's book as nobody is trying to persuade her to come now. She's a bit of a marmite character but does come out with some funny things. OP, I think your work's planned do sounds ott, who wants a buffet after a speed eaten three course meal?

Silverdaisy Sat 15-Nov-14 21:17:39

Sorry, I was writing when you wrote - food/anxiety issues added to the mix chNges things. People won't notice what you do or don't eat.

VoyagesOfAStarship Sat 15-Nov-14 21:26:49

Oh poor you, I really sympathise. I don't feel like that about food so much but I definitely do about enforced parties. I go to one christmas party but it's completely voluntary and just a group of friends who work in the same field. When I worked in an office I used to hate them.

What I would do is "look forward" to the parties, chat about them with mucho interest and excitement, and then on the day have a stomach bug/flu/terrible migraine as appropriate, oh no you are soooo sorry you can't make it. It's not as if you'll miss important work, and it's a stressful situation for you that you shouldn't have to go to IMO. Spend the day looking after yourself and relaxing.

rookiemater Sat 15-Nov-14 21:35:43

Actually thinking about it, I hate dos where the main focus is drink. I can't stand evenings in the pub, so the idea of having an afternoon thing with no alcohol sounds good to me.

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Nov-14 22:01:35

What's the jacket on the back of the chair trick?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now