Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask a teccy question on AIBU?

(25 Posts)
FrancesNiadova Sat 15-Nov-14 18:01:23

OK, I know I am.
DH has i phone, i tunes, i pod. I can't afford to buy him an i pad for Christmas.
I have about £120 to spend.
Could anyone recommend an android tablet that DH would be able to use with his music & phone.
Thanks.

500smiles Sat 15-Nov-14 18:05:19

Not unreasonable to ask, but more likely to get a better answer in geeky stuff - they really know their stuff there

MaidOfStars Sat 15-Nov-14 18:11:29

People more geeky than I may know better, but you're not going to find an Android tablet that synchs with Apple devices without a third party app. If you have music/photos etc that you want to share between devices, you could load a cloud drive (Google Drive, Onedrive) appliation onto each and share the account, thus allowing access to the files on each device.

As far as I know, iTunes on an Android ain't happening.

However, with £120, a secondhand (older) iPad or iPad mini is perfectly possible.

ZeroSomeGameThingy Sat 15-Nov-14 18:13:45

This isn't a helpful answer but, as an Apple user, I would have to pretend to be pleased to be given an android product. But your DH is probably nicer than I am.

Has he actually said he wants a tablet? If not - are there any Apple accessories you could consider instead? Wireless speakers or... ? (I have no idea how much they cost.)

FinallyHere Sat 15-Nov-14 18:15:59

As a recent convert to Apple products, I'd really struggle to be glad someone bought me an android table. Really, really. And to see what use it would be to me.

Sorry.....

ZeroSomeGameThingy Sat 15-Nov-14 18:18:16

Oh, thank God! I was afraid I sounded intolerably entitled.grin

Suefla62 Sat 15-Nov-14 18:25:41

I wouldn't want an android tablet either. Can you get a refurbished ipad from apple. They look brand new and come with a full years warranty.

InfinitySeven Sat 15-Nov-14 18:29:29

As said, you won't find an android Device that syncs with Apple. They just don't play nice. Music and images won't transfer.

If your DP has all his apps, music etc on Apple, I'd get a different present. If I'm really honest, £120 won't buy a good apple or Android device.

avocadotoast Sat 15-Nov-14 18:35:07

Yeah, that's not going to work. I'd just buy him something else!

ahfuckit Sat 15-Nov-14 18:37:23

My Lenovo tablet that I'm using now was £120 and it's brilliant. I know nothing about compatibility though.

ahfuckit Sat 15-Nov-14 18:38:45

Bought by my techy DP that knows his stuff by the way.

RustyDalek Sat 15-Nov-14 18:44:40

How about Apple TV? So he can play his iStuff on the TV. Costs about £100.

Trills Sat 15-Nov-14 18:47:10

People who care about these sorts of things are often very attached to a particular ecosystem.

I like Android, and I'd only pretend to be pleased if you bought me an iPad (even if you had spent a lot of money).

EstellaSpitsEmOut Sat 15-Nov-14 18:47:39

My apple crazy DP said he would much prefer a second hand iPad, than a new Android tablet.

Trills Sat 15-Nov-14 18:48:21

Also although Android can be cheaper than iOS, you're not going to get anything very good for £120.

Nomarymary Sat 15-Nov-14 18:49:06

I got a lovely ipad 2 on eBay for around that amount.

ZeroSomeGameThingy Sat 15-Nov-14 18:49:45

That sounds a great alternative Rusty. Much better than the earphones I was about to suggest.

How does Apple TV work? (Been afraid to ask as I have no TV.)

Nanny0gg Sat 15-Nov-14 18:57:34

Nomarymary

Was it new or refurbed?

I'm really wary of that sort of thing on Ebay, I'm worried I'll get a duff one or I'll be ripped off.

VanitasVanitatum Sat 15-Nov-14 19:00:10

My mum got a refurb on eBay and apple still replaced it when it stopped working two days later! Potentially not an encouraging comment but all other second hand Apple tech we have bought from eBay has been fine.

Don't get an android OP!!

Suefla62 Sat 15-Nov-14 19:16:41

Apple TV is wonderful. It uses your wifi system and comes preloaded with apps for various TV Stations, so you can watch their programming. You can also link to your iphone or ipad wirelessly and watch videos etc.

strayduck Sat 15-Nov-14 19:22:27

If you do decide to go down Android tablet tableyou can sync your iTunes music with Google play music manager. Not sure about films and other media though.

I think an Apple person would prefer 2nd hand iPad rather than brand new android tablet.

avocadotoast Sat 15-Nov-14 20:00:34

Ooh actually yes Apple TV is brilliant, although the only thing we tend to use it for is Netflix, so if you already have a smart TV with that capability it might not be worth it. Otherwise it's great smile

forago Sat 15-Nov-14 20:07:40

I've got an android nexus 7 whixhnis awesome (now replaced with nexus 9) and I transferred all my musixnto it from my iTunes with no bother at all. Noe I have all my music files in the cloud in a one drive account and play them on my android phone, android tablet, sonos speakers or in the car through any old music player. All works fine. Most of it originated in iTunes on my laptop. I am a geek though.

They're all mp3 or flac files so you can play them in any old player really. The OS, iOS apple or android shouldn't really matter.

addictedtobass Sat 15-Nov-14 20:54:22

Why not ask him what he'd like? You can always give him money towards an ipad if that's what he wants or vouchers for the Apple store or Amazon.

FrancesNiadova Sat 15-Nov-14 21:04:47

Thanks all. I'm a bit frightened of buying something 2nd hand in case it's broken or tainted. I will have a look at the I tv thing though. Thanks all -x-

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now