Talk

Advanced search

To start a TAAT?

(10 Posts)
BoreOfWhabylon Sat 15-Nov-14 15:47:08

It's this one

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/petitions_noticeboard/a2234484-To-ask-you-to-sign-this-Change-org-petition-re-denying-Julien-Blanc-a-UK-Visa?msgid=50732156#50732156

Asking us to sign a petition to prevent a piece of scum from being granted a visa to visit the UK to conduct 'Dating Seminars'.

'Dating Seminars' in which he instructs other men in his 'techniques', which amount to physical, emotional and racist abuse of women.

The thread was originally in AIBU but has been moved to the 'petitions' area, which doesn't get much traffic. MNHQ are now considering moving it to somewhere more prominent.

So, AIBU to draw your attention to it? I don't think so grin

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 15-Nov-14 15:49:29

And now, having started my very first AIBU thread, I have to go out!

Bulbasaur Sat 15-Nov-14 15:50:57

That depends, does the UK have free speech laws? If so, no you shouldn't bar him, despite disagreeing with what he says. If UK has limits on what is free speech, I'd bring it to the attention of the authorities and let them handle it.

Decent men aren't going to attend his workshops, and scum that do aren't going to stop seeing women as objects simply because they didn't attend a speech of his.

Frusso Sat 15-Nov-14 15:51:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Sat 15-Nov-14 15:51:51

Yanbu

AuntieStella Sat 15-Nov-14 15:53:12

I thought they moved all petitions to "Petitions" to prevent Talk being overrun by everyone's causes?

Because there are thousands of MNers, and probably hundreds of worthwhile petitions dear to their hearts at any given time.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 15-Nov-14 15:53:21

YANBU.

This goes beyond free speech. It's hate speech against women. The advice about how to grab women by the throat and force them into sex they don't want is horrifying

AuntieStella Sat 15-Nov-14 15:56:29

(Of course, if MNHQ thinks a particular issue is so important it merits special consideration and prominence not accorded to all other petitions, then they could make it an MNHQ a campaign?)

ILovePud Sat 15-Nov-14 15:57:39

Freedom of speech is not an unqualified right, someone summed it up nicely when they said freedom to swing your fist ends at another person's nose.

WhereYouLeftIt Sat 15-Nov-14 16:14:56

YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now