Talk

Advanced search

Am I lacking in a sense of humour or is DH showing his male privilige?

(10 Posts)
Kirk1 Sat 15-Nov-14 14:09:52

So, DH is watching a video and finding it funny so I went to see what he's laughing at.

He is watching a parody of the harassment in NYC video, this one where a woman walks around for 10 hours and gets propositioned, told to smile, talked to etc...

original

Star Wars Parody

I may be having a sense of humour fail, but I don't find the parody that funny. I'm not sure how to put why it makes me uncomfortable but it feels like it's saying that the original video shouldn't be taken so seriously.

DH says he doesn't find the parody makes him take the original less seriously and as he is the 'target audience' I should just chill out about it. So, AIBU or is he?

WalkingInMemphis Sat 15-Nov-14 14:16:15

Can't see how 'male privilege' is related?

I can't say I found it roll on the floor funny, but it was amusing - I liked the Cowboy - 'Sorry, wrong movie!'. grin

TheCowThatLaughs Sat 15-Nov-14 14:16:47

The star wars one is quite funny, but I also think that, as you say op, it's message is that street harassment is a bit of fun and shouldn't be taken seriously, which is a shitty message angry

TheCowThatLaughs Sat 15-Nov-14 14:18:55

If there was a video of a man being racially abused on the streets of New York and someone did a parody of it, would that also be funny, or would it be offensive in that case?

Kirk1 Sat 15-Nov-14 14:22:35

Memphis, that wasn't a cowboy, it was Indiana Jones! Yes, I smiled, but I still feel uncomfortable, like when FIL tells his vile racist jokes

scallopsrgreat Sat 15-Nov-14 14:23:14

Agreed OP. He is showing his male privilege because he can afford to laugh at street harassment, WalkinginMemohis. It isn't something he experiences.

scallopsrgreat Sat 15-Nov-14 14:24:01

Sorry WalkinginMemphis

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Sat 15-Nov-14 14:28:15

Weirdly I think the Star Wars one almost makes the same point. All the male characters are anachronistic creeps or obsessed with rescuing her. We put up with that kind of sexist nonsense in our favourite films when that must drive some of the awful behaviour out there.

No. YANBU by the way.

Bulbasaur Sat 15-Nov-14 14:47:02

The star wars one is funny because of the movie references involved. There's nothing wrong with laughing at it.

The problem with the first youtube video is that the idiots catcalling aren't going to care. If they cared about women, they wouldn't have done it in the first place. It's like telling rapists not to rape, everyone knows rape is wrong even rapists, they know better but they do it anyways.

I have laughed at inappropriate jokes, that doesn't mean I seriously think those things are ok. I'd imagine it's the same case with your husband.

WalkingInMemphis Sat 15-Nov-14 20:42:07

Memphis, that wasn't a cowboy, it was Indiana Jones!

Oh dear, missed that! Thought it was a cowboy lmao.

it's message is that street harassment is a bit of fun and shouldn't be taken seriously
I don't see it like that. I see it as a piss take of something that has become ridiculously overdone. The first one was thought provoking I suppose...but I've seen quite a few more recently. Woman in jeans, woman in ballgown, woman in burkha, woman in swimwear. Ridiculous and OTT, which is what the film is taking the piss out of. I can imagine there'll be more parodies tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now