Talk

Advanced search

Not to contribute to class Christmas present for nasty teacher

(76 Posts)
kalebunch Sat 15-Nov-14 13:08:32

DD has a nasty and very unprofessional Year 2 teacher at her expensive prep school. The teacher's behaviour has been the cause of numerous complaints to the headmaster. The teacher has never apologised or shown remorse for her actions but she is leaving the school at the end of term. Despite the teacher being disliked by the children, the Class Rep still wants the parents to each donate £20 to a joint class present. AIBU to refuse to donate to this "voluntary" present given the amount of grief this teacher has wreaked on our children?

NickiFury Sat 15-Nov-14 13:08:57

I wouldn't.

Wishtoremainunknown Sat 15-Nov-14 13:10:38

Twenty quid each ?!?

Aeroflotgirl Sat 15-Nov-14 13:10:58

Just say no you will not. You gave every right not too. Her leaving present will reflect what she was like as a teacher.

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Sat 15-Nov-14 13:11:36

I don't spend that much on my nieces and nephews.

Aeroflotgirl Sat 15-Nov-14 13:11:36

Yes it says each

TheBatteriesHaveRunOut Sat 15-Nov-14 13:14:56

YANBU

Did the class rep's dc get along fine with the teacher? What do other class parents think?

HelloItsMeFell Sat 15-Nov-14 13:15:04

Not at all. A gift is to show your appreciation of a job well done, and your disappointment that she is leaving. She hasn't done her job especially well (in your opinion, and you are entitled to it) and you don't like her so you won't miss her.

Just tell the class rep that.

bloodyteenagers Sat 15-Nov-14 13:15:27

Of course not.
Is it normal to get something for someone you don't like? Not in my world it isn't.

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 15-Nov-14 13:16:21

Obviously you don't need to contribute.

But not do you need to tell us that the prep school is 'very expensive'. You wouldn't need to contribute for a teacher at a cheap school either, or even a free one, if you didn't want to.

HelloItsMeFell Sat 15-Nov-14 13:16:22

I am wondering if the class rep already knows that she is disliked and has hoiked to contribution up to a whopping £20 to make allowances for those who refuse to contribute. Otherwise she'd only be able to get a rubbish gift.

TheGonnagle Sat 15-Nov-14 13:16:37

£20.00??? Bloody hell.

FreakinScaryCaaw Sat 15-Nov-14 13:17:27

No way! And tell the class rep why too.

FreakinScaryCaaw Sat 15-Nov-14 13:18:58

Have you namechanged for this?

clam Sat 15-Nov-14 13:19:20

"A rubbish gift?"
hmm

soverylucky Sat 15-Nov-14 13:20:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AliceLidl Sat 15-Nov-14 13:21:07

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all.

However, is it possible the class rep is worried that a precedent has been set with regards to Christmas/leaving presents, and that in not attempting to do the same for this teacher as others have received in the past, the teacher may have some grounds to complain about unfair treatment?

I'm not sticking up for her, or saying she has a case, but it's possible that if this is the 'norm' at your school but doesn't happen for her, she might try to stir up trouble and the rep is trying to avoid that happening.

This way the rep can say she tried, but parents were not all able to contribute financially at this particular time.

cardamomginger Sat 15-Nov-14 13:21:12

£20?!?!? Fuck off!

LightastheBreeze Sat 15-Nov-14 13:23:31

Is 20 quid the going rate at an expensive prep school.

KatieKaye Sat 15-Nov-14 13:24:03

You'd be mad to contribute 20p.
I'd tell the Class Rep why I wasn't giving even a token amount, but without giving details - just "unprofessional behaviour" as you said in the OP.
You may also wish to add how glad you are that this teacher is leaving!

RainbowSpiral Sat 15-Nov-14 13:24:56

Aside from this teacher, why on earth would it be £20 each? Is that normal at private schools? What do they buy the teacher, a diamond necklace?

Rosa Sat 15-Nov-14 13:25:02

Prep school or not £20 is a piss take. and No YANBU at all . If you don't want to contribute then I would say why .

FestiveFox Sat 15-Nov-14 13:25:19

I wouldn't give that much to a great teacher, as I wouldn't want to blush
them
its theor good to doa good job

so I certainly would not give 20quid to a shit teacher

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sat 15-Nov-14 13:25:31

What are they planning to get that requires 20 from each child, how many are in the class?

MrsHathaway Sat 15-Nov-14 13:28:18

Ywnbu to decline to put into the collection even if (a) she were nice (b) she were not leaving (c) the class rep only asked for £1.

Collections completely miss the point of Christmas giving.

Now, as a leaving present it matters that she's leaving under a cloud, and that your child directly suffered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now