Talk

Advanced search

are the places your not allowed to breast feed.

(197 Posts)
ghostspirit Sat 15-Nov-14 13:01:25

am i being unreasonable to think i can breast feed anywhere. When i had my last child i breast fed every where in mcdonalds, at the bus stop on the bus. only ever had one problem in mcdonalds. i was asked to stop breast feeding and i erm.... no. and that was end of it. But im wondering by law can i be asked to stop breast feeding in public? family restaurants, buses where ever really? and if i refuse what could happen?

formerbabe Sat 15-Nov-14 13:04:46

U can bf anywhere you want. My DC are older now but if anyone had told me to stop, I'd have refused point blank. What can they do? Nothing!

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 15-Nov-14 13:05:30

Anywhere you have a right to be, you have a right to BF. It's against the law to ask you to stop.

insancerre Sat 15-Nov-14 13:05:33

The equality act allows you to breast feed anywhere
People are discriminating against you and therefore breaking the law if they ask you yo leave or to stop

MothershipG Sat 15-Nov-14 13:05:36

The Equality Act 2010 has made it illegal for anyone to ask a breastfeeding woman to leave a public place such as a cafe, shop or public transport.

Taken from NHS Direct

MrsHathaway Sat 15-Nov-14 13:05:50

Equality Act 2010 - if you're allowed to be there, you're allowed to bf there and anyone asking you to stop or move is breaking the law.

I'm not sure what age it goes up to, though. I've a feeling it might be only the first six or twelve months.

I have never been asked to move or stop, before or after the law change. And I've bfip a lot. I guess I must just be naturally discreet - never use a cover either.

Shakirasma Sat 15-Nov-14 13:07:21

There is no age limit, for as long as you choose to bf your child, you are allowed to do so in public and cannot be stopped.

ShadowKat Sat 15-Nov-14 13:08:03

You're definitely entitled to breastfeed in restaurants, family ones included. That's a protected right under equalities legislation as far as I'm aware.

I'm sure someone better informed than me will be along, but I believe that you can only legally be asked to stop breastfeeding if you're feeding in an unsafe place or a place where you yourself aren't allowed to be in.

Castlemilk Sat 15-Nov-14 13:08:40

Ha! No. It's against the law.

bumpybecky Sat 15-Nov-14 13:09:23

rollercoasters?

TidyDancer Sat 15-Nov-14 13:09:37

Was that thing about breastfeeding in a swimming pool ever resolved? That's the only controversial incident I recall where people thought it reasonable to be asked to stop breastfeeding.

ghostspirit Sat 15-Nov-14 13:10:02

that was fast responce. thanks was not sure smile

Thebodynowchillingsothere Sat 15-Nov-14 13:11:30

Absolutely. Good god would have loved someone telling me to stop. Love a good fight. grin

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sat 15-Nov-14 13:12:32

if you are asked to stop, the NCT will take it up with the venue if you report it to them!

TheBatteriesHaveRunOut Sat 15-Nov-14 13:17:37

lol bumpybecky that's what I thought

that and shark cages
and perhaps whilst wing walking

saintsandpoets Sat 15-Nov-14 13:18:27

Scuba diving probably wouldn't be allowed

Annunziata Sat 15-Nov-14 13:19:32

Probably not at night clubs grin

Isn't it if the baby is allowed to be somewhere, the baby can be fed?

MrsHathaway Sat 15-Nov-14 13:58:54

Glad to be corrected re: age limit. I might be thinking of the earlier Scottish legislation.

Bellerina2 Sat 15-Nov-14 14:02:51

Aren't private members' clubs exempt? I seem to recall reading something to that extent. Also, I think it's more protected in Scotland than it is in England.

insancerre Sat 15-Nov-14 14:13:38

I think private members clubs are only different when it comes to gender. So you can't join if its men only or women only. I assume the other characteristics are still protected. You coulsnt get away with discriminating against a race or religion or disabled people just because you are a men/ women only club.

RachelWatts Sat 15-Nov-14 14:21:36

I think it's anywhere you and the baby are allowed to be, you're allowed to breastfeed. So it probably wouldn't be allowed in betting shops or nightclubs.

Waltonswatcher Sat 15-Nov-14 14:43:04

I was asked to stop in a hospital waiting room once. 10 years ago. And I didn't .

SparklyReindeerShit Sat 15-Nov-14 14:49:06

Isn't the age thing to do with if the baby isn't the minimum age allowed for the venue rather than stopping at a certain age? Eg if the venue is over 18s only then baby can't be taken in to bf?
Wasn't there something about a spa day and the woman was gettin mad because she couldn't take baby in to bf but they had said no because it was an over 16 venue. Something like that anyway.

Stealthpolarbear Sat 15-Nov-14 14:49:42

No one ever starts a thread asking where they're allowed to sneeze.
I'd say anywhere you're allowed to take your baby. So if you're piloting an aircraft, probably not. If you're performing as part of a synchronised swimming group or posing for vogue, again, no. I didn't really come across those problems grin

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 15-Nov-14 15:05:33

What about Vanity Fair stealth ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now