Talk

Advanced search

to turn the fridge freezer off?!

(16 Posts)
BackToTheFuschia Fri 14-Nov-14 23:27:47

ok I know, not strictly aibu but it's an emergency!
my fridge freezer is making a hell of a noise all of a sudden, but only when the door is shut- well when the little bit that turns the light off is pushed in.
The noise seems to be coming from just above the top drawer of the freezer, so between the fridge and the freezer, iyswim.
I've turned it off at the wall... Will all the food I've got in there be ok to the morning, providing I don't open either of the doors?
Bloody thing is only 3 months old, any ideas what might be wrong?

ChimesAndCarols Fri 14-Nov-14 23:29:13

Is it one of those newish air-cooled fridges?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 14-Nov-14 23:29:43

If you've been fiddling with it, how long were the doors closed before you turned it off?

ilovepowerhoop Fri 14-Nov-14 23:30:17

is there a fan at the back of the inside of the top flap bit of the freezer and have you got something pressed against it?

gamerchick Fri 14-Nov-14 23:32:48

There's a bag up against the fan in the freezer. Bring everything forward on the top shelf.

BackToTheFuschia Fri 14-Nov-14 23:33:41

its brand new, only got it in august.
we had it open a little while, ahpuld inleave it running a bit, albeit noisy, to cool with the doors shut and then turn it off?
tried to look but all the parts are enclosed in plastic so can't see how anything could be trapped.
why does everything happen at night? angry

bobs123 Fri 14-Nov-14 23:33:53

I seem to remember something like that happening when I moved house earlier this year but can't remember how we sorted it. We have a bosch with buttons at the top and somehow had to rest it. i should either look at your booklet, or google it to find out what to do. you don't say what sort of noise. If it is like an alarm it needs resetting

BackToTheFuschia Fri 14-Nov-14 23:35:58

its a super noisy motor noise, my first thought was something stuck but all the parts are enclosed so no packaging etc couls get to any moving parts... off to dig out the manual smile
thank you for all your advice x

Catsmamma Fri 14-Nov-14 23:39:27

my samsung used to do this...something to do with the freezer fan circulating cold air to th efridge, but getting iced up so the fan makes a huge racket

fridge gets cold enough, ice in freezer melts off fan, fan stops being noisy

or alternatively fridge breaks down and comet fuckingbastards take two weeks to come fix it.

bobs123 Fri 14-Nov-14 23:39:31

As other posters have said, do you have something too close to the fan in the freezer? It can stop it working efficiently and could be the cause

BackToTheFuschia Fri 14-Nov-14 23:43:23

nope, all the parts are enclosed so nothing can get caught on the fan as nothing can get to it

ilovepowerhoop Fri 14-Nov-14 23:44:21

our fan has a mesh grille over the front but if things press against it it can be noisy

avocadotoast Fri 14-Nov-14 23:46:43

If you do switch it off the food will be fine in the morning, we had a 17-hour power cut recently and it was all ok.

Notmeagain1 Fri 14-Nov-14 23:57:37

Sounds like it could be a leak in the freon that causes it to cool which can ice up the fan. Turn it off for 30 tob45 min so the fan can thaw out and turn it nack on if the noise stopped that could be the problem. You will need to get a repair man out first thing. But keep the doors shut and things "should" be alright the rest of the night.

Good luck...

Notmeagain1 Fri 14-Nov-14 23:58:45

Sorry for the typos. Dang hate threads have my blood boiling.

BackToTheFuschia Sat 15-Nov-14 00:08:07

I've put it back on and shut all the doors so I can't currently hear it! I'll see what it's doing when I get up with the baby in a few hours. Thank you allsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now