Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that if you choose to dress from head to toe in black

(21 Posts)
3littlefrogs Fri 14-Nov-14 20:41:40

And your pushchair is completely black, including the cover over your child, who is also dressed in black, you should be very, very careful when crossing a busy road, at this time of night, especially if you have chosen not to walk a few yards to the zebra crossing.

I have just almost had a heart attack when someone fitting the above description pushed their pushchair out in front of my car. This is not good for me as I am getting on a bit and I think I just aged another ten years.

Luckily I have just had the brake pads replaced and my tyres are good ones.

Why do people not use their common sense and wear a white scarf or something?

drbonnieblossman Fri 14-Nov-14 20:47:28

biscuit

OraProNobis Fri 14-Nov-14 20:47:40

That must have been very frightening for you! Sadly many people do not have even a speck of common sense.

OraProNobis Fri 14-Nov-14 20:48:14

What's with the biscuit?

SaucyJackOLantern Fri 14-Nov-14 20:48:58

Gothlife before road safety.

MrsWolowitz Fri 14-Nov-14 20:49:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hiddenhome Fri 14-Nov-14 20:59:49

YANBU

I almost knocked someone down on a country road, at night because they were wearing black and walking along the road - there was no footpath.

Gave me quite a turn confused

PrettyPictures92 Fri 14-Nov-14 21:04:43

The police around here provide you with high vis stickers free of charge to stick on your jackets etc if you go in and ask them. But there is more road accidents here involving folk crossing roads at night than normal.

Some folk are just idiots with no common sense, I hope you're ok! What kind of fool would put their child at risk like that?!

HappyAgainOneDay Fri 14-Nov-14 21:23:20

OP, these are for you.

flowers

3littlefrogs Fri 14-Nov-14 21:28:10

A friend of mine ran over and killed a 2 year old child about 30 years ago.
The child ran out from between 2 parked cars.
She was completely exonerated (the mother was standing talking and not holding onto the child), but she has never got over it.

I had a near miss this evening - it has shaken me up though. It makes you realise just how easily it can happen.

3littlefrogs Fri 14-Nov-14 21:31:10

Oh, thank you Happy. smile

3littlefrogs Fri 14-Nov-14 21:32:10

Obviously I know that it was a million times worse for the parents of the child. sad

Sallygoroundthemoon Fri 14-Nov-14 21:34:47

YANBU. A horrid experience. People really need to make sure they are visible.

Altinkum Fri 14-Nov-14 21:37:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ravenAK Fri 14-Nov-14 21:39:18

Ahem. I'm a goth. My offspring are hi-vis-tastic.

Especially since I recently started learning to drive, & realised how chuffing invisible a person dressed in black is when (not) seen from the driver's seat on a dark November evening!

YANBU OP.

cees Fri 14-Nov-14 21:42:06

YANBU

3littlefrogs Fri 14-Nov-14 21:42:47

The push chair cover was black - the child was completely invisible under neath it. At least until I was practically on top of it. Then I saw the little head and arms poking out. Coat and hat the child was dressed in were either black or some other very dark colour.

The effect was to render adult, pushchair and child almost invisible.

dontquotem3 Fri 14-Nov-14 22:36:07

YADNBU.

CobbOnn Fri 14-Nov-14 22:47:50

Very scary experience. I have just changed my route to and from work to main roads avoiding short cuts. Bit more traffic but better lit. A bit of rain and visibility is awful.

I'm tired, with a full time job and insomniac baby, it's so much effort to be really vigilant but I always am. Everyone needs to do their bit to be seen and to be safe.

I'm a teacher and it's not something we put much focus on. With the clocks changing, it has got very dark very quickly. I think I am going to bring up the issue of road safety and awareness next week.

skylark2 Fri 14-Nov-14 23:00:46

I think pedestrians often don't realise just how invisible they are. Same for cyclists - I find it terrifying how many at this time of year are riding at 5pm in dark clothes with no lights.

DoItTooJulia Fri 14-Nov-14 23:05:10

I have a black pushchair and I'm really conscious of this. I have bought Velcro reflective high vis bands and have attached them to the frame.

And I have a hanging led reflector somewhere from last year that I should dig out and attach to the dc that rides in the buggy.

Not unreasonable at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now