Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to support this young girl rather than children in need tonight..

(18 Posts)
londonrach Fri 14-Nov-14 19:02:46

On dm (sorry mntters) but this little girl parents are selling their home in desperate attempt to get money for her proton therapy. I will not be supporting children in need but this young lady instead. Sorry to draw your Attention to this. Hugs to little frankie-rose. (No connection to the family but aunt to a 6 year old who loves frozen too)

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2834450/Couple-desperate-race-sell-family-home-fund-daughter-s-cancer-treatment-doctors-say-won-t-live-Christmas-without-it.html

www.gofundme.com/h3upn4

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frankie-Rose/281913518684924

This page doesnt seem to be working... www.gofundme.com/h3rouk

Wishtoremainunknown Fri 14-Nov-14 19:41:42

I saw this. Bumping.

londonrach Fri 14-Nov-14 19:44:12

Wish its lovely watching the amount getting higher. Thanks for bumping. X

WidowWadman Fri 14-Nov-14 19:48:52

Call me cynical but sadly some self declared experts have figured out that you can make a lot of money out of cancer victims. Not caring about the physical and mental hardship they inflict on their victims. Expensive treatment only available in the USA rings huge alarm bells. It doesn't say which clinic it is either, so it's not possible to see whether it's legit or a nasty cancer quack like Burzynski. For that reason I really would not donate to such an appeal.

pippinleaf Fri 14-Nov-14 19:49:03

I tried to donate but it says the campaign is not ready to accept donations?

Beyoncescat Fri 14-Nov-14 19:51:09

I follow their page on Facebook. It's heartbreaking really is I agree with supporting Frankie.

WidowWadman Fri 14-Nov-14 19:51:47

Also a 100% guarantee the cancer would not return as they claim the treatment would give makes it sound all the more dodgy.

Wishtoremainunknown Fri 14-Nov-14 19:52:34

Page isn't working but they have set up a second here link

Itsfab Fri 14-Nov-14 19:55:49

YANBU but I think this should be somewhere else to get more views. No one is going to say YABU.

Oh, except maybe WidowW.

Altinkum Fri 14-Nov-14 20:02:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

londonrach Fri 14-Nov-14 20:02:36

This page is working... www.gofundme.com/h3upn4

WidowWadman Fri 14-Nov-14 20:02:54

So you don't think my concerns that someone might be exploiting that poor girl's and her family's suffering is totally invalid? There are so many people who've been hurt by cancer quacks who've not only taken tons of money, but increased their victims suffering selling false hope and dodgy therapies.

Is it really so unreasonable to ask who exactly is offering that 100% guarantee of curing the girl and what their credentials are? By giving money without checking this out first, you're not helping the family but potentially making it worse.

londonrach Fri 14-Nov-14 20:05:31

Look if my donation can help this family at there lowest even if its giving moral support and to show someone cares i think its money well spent. 15 k so far...

WidowWadman Fri 14-Nov-14 20:10:55

I do care. I think it's god awful to sell false hope and instead of giving a desperately I'll child an as comfortable end as possible sending it around the globe. Why do they not say which clinic it is and who the expert is claiming to offer that cure?

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 14-Nov-14 20:19:21

Call me a cynic but I'm with WW. There's no mention of where she's going in the US, or a comment from the UK hospital. I'm surprised that the UK hospital does not appear to have been contacted re this story, even if it's just to decline to comment on individual patients, especially in the light of the boy who was whisked off to Spain recently.

Too many holes in this story for me to donate money I'm afraid.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 14-Nov-14 20:20:55

I think you have a point widow

And she's not said once that the poor child shouldn't receive treatment.

This is not the first thread about miracle cures only available in America with little information about what exactly it is all about.

Eggybread00 Fri 14-Nov-14 20:25:27

I have been on both sides of these campaigns, I have donated to some and started one on behalf of a friend. We raised the money needed and the operation saved her life so widowwadman it was entirely worth "sending it around the globe".

Give your money to whoever you wish!
I do have slight concerns with some operation fundraisers where the child is receiving excellent nhs care yet the family are fundraising for an operation that may be needed in the future if it returns. But at the same time I understand why the families need to be prepared. I try not to judge and thank my lucky stars I'm not making those des visions for my family. But It's much easier to raise money to a deadline than on a 'just in case' basis.

Eggybread00 Fri 14-Nov-14 20:25:49

*decisions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now