Talk

Advanced search

That time of year and family

(4 Posts)
Anydrinkwilldo Fri 14-Nov-14 18:07:10

Sorry christmas thread I know it'll annoy some people. Anyway I asked my family to my house for dinner on Christmas day, it's mums first Christmas without her mum and I wanted to break old traditions which could be upsetting. Her answer was no. That's fine dh and I decided we'd still have the day here by ourselves because I don't want to get into the habit of taking dc cross country for visiting - it's their day imo. To get back on to story she then changed her mind and told me they would be coming down after all. Still fine no real change of Plans. Now she told me they won't be here till 4 ish which means closer to 5 as she is unable to be on time for anything I want to have dinner by 3 the latest, two dc (nearly 3 and 1) will need dinner early and I don't want to be spending all day cooking. WIBU to request they are here no later than 3 and if they are we will have had our dinner with out them?

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Fri 14-Nov-14 18:08:42

Give her supper/tea. Have your Christmas lunch and arrange some sort of hot buffet with turkey for her.

pauline6703 Fri 14-Nov-14 18:10:01

It is unreasonable to insist they arrive by a certain time but it is reasonable to state that you will be serving dinner at 3 as that suits the dc. Make it clear that the main meal is at 3 and that is it. If they want to arrive latter then no food for them.

SpringBreaker Fri 14-Nov-14 18:12:59

as Pauline said, make it clear that 3pm is serving up time and if they arent here by then, its microwaved dinner at the table on their own, or they can have a buffet when they get there..

the other option would be to have a bacon sarnie or something at midday, then hang on til 5pm so you can all eat dinner together (which would be my option to be honest)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now