Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to breastfeed on the hard shoulder?

(120 Posts)
Jemima1988 Fri 14-Nov-14 17:02:34

currently in stand still traffic on the motorway and I have been for over an hour.
I have a screaming baby in the back should u use the hard shoulder?

ShatnersBassoon Fri 14-Nov-14 17:04:19

No, you'd block access for emergency vehicles.

PookBob Fri 14-Nov-14 17:04:29

YABU. It's for emergency vehicles. If the traffic is at a standstill, the hard shoulder is the only way through.

Petallic Fri 14-Nov-14 17:04:39

My worry would be that if there is an incident ahead the emergency services may get authorisation to use hard shoulder and you'll be in their way. If it's totally standstill can you not just stay in the lane you are on or are you the driver?

Missrabbitshouldjoinaunion Fri 14-Nov-14 17:04:53

If the traffic is standstill I'd just hop in the back with her - I'd have thought that would be safer than the hard shoulder. If it's edging forward slowly I'd just wait until the next exit and get off. Hard shoulders are v dangerous.

Blowninonabreeze Fri 14-Nov-14 17:05:16

Definitely not hard shoulder. Emergency services will need it to get to whatever is holding you up.
It it's stationary, rather than stop start, personally i'd get the baby out to feed where you are. If stop/start, not a lot you can do until next junction.
Hope it moves quickly. My worst moments have been when trapped in a car with a howling small child

angelohsodelight Fri 14-Nov-14 17:05:21

No, it's not an emergency and you shouldn't be using your phone!

BuntyCollocks Fri 14-Nov-14 17:05:23

No - if there's an accident, you and your baby are unbuckled and likely to get hit.

I feel for you, though. I hope it gets moving soon.

Winterbells Fri 14-Nov-14 17:05:27

Not only is it access for emergency vehicles it also can be very dangerous to park on the hard shoulder once traffic gets moving.

Wishtoremainunknown Fri 14-Nov-14 17:06:03

Sorry but yea you about be. Like the above poster said - hop in the back.

NetballHoop Fri 14-Nov-14 17:06:27

Are you stuck on the M25? I've just heard on the radio that people have been stuck for hours. I'd just move to the passenger seat and BF there.

Wishtoremainunknown Fri 14-Nov-14 17:06:46

Yes you would be even !

MaidOfStars Fri 14-Nov-14 17:07:17

1. No to hard shoulder.
2. Get off the phone.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 14-Nov-14 17:07:40

Absolutely not. The hard shoulder is the most dangerous part of a motorway. Sorry, I know it's a bloody nightmare.

ChasedByBees Fri 14-Nov-14 17:07:49

I would turn the car off and pop in the back too - only works if you are at a total standstill. Poor you. sad

RainbowSpiral Fri 14-Nov-14 17:08:38

this is when you wish you were bottle feeding, there are times when its easier!

morethanpotatoprints Fri 14-Nov-14 17:08:38

Is this for real, the mind boggles.
The hard shoulder is the most dangerous place on the road, something like 11 second survival rate in some places at certain times.

nocoolnamesleft Fri 14-Nov-14 17:09:01

Yabu - the hard shoulder is not a safe place. People are killed sitting in cars on the hard shoulder, when they are hit from behind - my dad used to have to help investigate some of the cases. If you ever break down on the hard shoulder, you get out of the car and as far from the traffic as you can (if alone leave passenger door open, so you can get back in car in case of dodgy stranger approaching). Safety first. Please.

PrincessOfChina Fri 14-Nov-14 17:09:19

Absolutely not to the hard shoulder but if the traffic is truly stand still and you've turned the engine off I think it's fine to use your phone. Unfortunately, I don't think it would be safe to feed if you're the driver.

Audeca Fri 14-Nov-14 17:09:56

I wouldn't:

As many people know, the hard shoulder is the most dangerous place to be on the motorway, but few know just how dangerous it really is. You are more likely to be killed on the hard shoulder than anywhere else on the motorway, and for those who were killed here, they had been there on average for less than 26 minutes.

Thunderbolt Fri 14-Nov-14 17:10:27

No, please don't park on the hard shoulder, it's so very dangerous. If you ever have to park there in an emergency you should always exit the vehicle.

I know it must be abolutelt rubbish for you to deal with but don't risk it. sad

specialsubject Fri 14-Nov-14 17:11:08

how terrifying.

get in the back.
switch off the phone
book some driving lessons.

ArthurShappey Fri 14-Nov-14 17:12:56

No I'm afraid you can't. How still is the traffic, is there no one else in the car with you. I'd be tempted if I really had no choice at all to bring the baby into the front and breast feed there but only if the traffic was completely stationary.

Audeca Fri 14-Nov-14 17:13:17

I've also seen more stark figures (not sure how verifiable they are though):

Perhaps the most shocking statistic was when we were told that if you break down on the motorway and decide to sit in your car on the hard shoulder your life expectancy is reduced to 12 minutes - 12 minutes!!!

ArthurShappey Fri 14-Nov-14 17:14:41

Can the car seat go in the front at all, could you lean over baby when traffic is at a complete standstill? Failing that you're going to have to just listen to the screaming until you can get off and pull in somewhere safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now